Thread: Shotgun Problem.....

Default Shotgun Problem.....

Hey guys....I am having a problem with my SXS 12ga. It is a Rossi "The Squire" model hammerless. I recently picked this up cheap as someone neglected it and let it rust up pretty bad. Then I took it and had a full ceracote and dip done. (please note, I am not blaming anything on the cerakote guy as I did not even test fire before taking it to him, my dumb move) When I got it back I took it out to shoot it......everything works, but when I load it nice and gently, no problems. My issue is whenever I load and close the action with any kind of force at all, the left side barrel/action discharges, even with the safety on. Luckily we found this out without anyone getting hurt!! Any ideas? I will probably take it out to Brophy's if no one can steer me in the right direction.....thanks!!

Sears need work and probably hardening.Easy fix
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Please enlighten me......what are sears??

The trigger releases the sear for the gun to fire. The edge of the left sear is rounded or broke or coated to thick and right is probably close to being off. Soft steel in these and most cheaper doubles from Spain durning the 60's/70's and some still today.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Often times the wood in the stock will compress between the upper and lower tangs over time. This will present a problem of the triggers being pressed upward toward the sears, thereby engaging and partially, or fully letting off the sear nose from the hammer(s). Not uncommon on older, less expensive boxlock shotguns.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."