Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remington recall

Default remington recall

I just read an article that claimed remington is issuing a recall on 7.85 million model 700 rifles. There is an issue with the trigger.

Send it in if you don't need your rifle for a few months. If you don't want to send it in may I suggest getting a timney trigger online somewhere. Lighter trigger really improved my accuracy.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Mine's waaaaaay too old for this recall. Built late 70's early 80's. Must be why I've never had a problem. Even had the trigger lightened up a bit. Still real nice.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I believe the one on their website is for their "new" trigger. The one the OP refers to will be the result of a lawsuit that they settled Friday and is likely not in their website yet.

The new recall is for ALL 700s from the very first ones on up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I believe the one on their website is for their "new" trigger. The one the OP refers to will be the result of a lawsuit that they settled Friday and is likely not in their website yet.

The new recall is for ALL 700s from the very first ones on up.

Oh ok......I didn't realize that. I'll keep my eyes posted. But still, I really doubt I'll send mine in. I mean, I've had the rifle since 85' and never a problem, so can't see how one would start now....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh ok......I didn't realize that. I'll keep my eyes posted. But still, I really doubt I'll send mine in. I mean, I've had the rifle since 85' and never a problem, so can't see how one would start now....
    Yeah I probably wouldn't either, I don't own one but I know several guys that do who have never had problems either.

From the limited legal details that have been released it appears to me they have had batches of good ones and batches of bad ones with various problems, not one single problem. It will be interesting to see what their solution will be.

To clarify, according to the info on Remington's website, they are going to clean these triggers, not replace them.

As Bullcephous suggested, I checked out Timney triggers but they are about $130. I am not a long range kind of guy so the potential for slight improvements in accuracy doesn't interest me much; I will probably send my rifle in. What a hassle and I wonder if it is even possible to get my rifle back in time for spring bear.

One of mine is older than dirt. I also have a new one that has never been loaded.

Surely there will be Remington authorized repairs locally. Maybe? Hopefully? }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    One of mine is older than dirt. I also have a new one that has never been loaded.

Surely there will be Remington authorized repairs locally. Maybe? Hopefully? }:>
    Website listed no Alaska authorized repair shops.

Website also said to expect it to take 12 weeks from their getting the rifle. I have signed up and they are sending the boxes and UPS postage in about a week. Said you should remove slings, scopes, and bullets. Wonder if they will send a box of ammo to sight the rifle in after reattaching the scope?

They do give you 40% off at Remington 1816 website, where they have $140 shirts, $300 hats, and $1400 coats.

I have very old 700's on up to a new one bought 3 months ago. Never had any problems with a single one. However, the latest one bought 3 months ago is one that they checked out before shipping it out. It has the dimple or punch mark on the bolt release. It's been fine. I do have one on the recall list that I've used for 3 years with no issue and just dropped a Timney trigger in it recently rather than mess with it or worry about it AND it was a good excuse to get a Timney in it. I figure each brand has some sort of quirk or problem. Remington's have worked for me for over 40 years. I do have other makes so I am at least a little flexible.

This not just Model 700 and Model 7 triggers.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/remington...aulty-triggers

"The settlement covers more than a dozen models, specifically the Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722 and 725."

Unfortunately the only trigger that wasn't really adjustable was the 788 and it is not on the list.
    Some of these models will only get you a $10 or $12 certificate for Remington stuff and not an actual trigger replacement. Remington has been for sale for a while with no takers so this isn't going to help that.

Evidentially the guy who designed it in the late 1940 told them the could be potential safety issues and this has come to light recently. I know when I replace the stock trigger in a 700 with a re-worked factory trigger that had been reworked to 2oz the safety was removed because it "could" discharge when released because the pull was so light. This was strictly on a modified competition rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    This not just Model 700 and Model 7 triggers.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/remington...aulty-triggers

"The settlement covers more than a dozen models, specifically the Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722 and 725."

I tried the link 3 times and got a picture of some handguns & the headline, then my computer locked & I had to restart.. Considering the source (MSNBC), not sure how believeable the headline is. When it shows up on a reliable news source, I'll pay more attention.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I sent two of my 700's in...You can identify if yours is affected by serial number...if they tell you 12 weeks...take that with a grain of salt as I sent mine in May...got back in OCT...They provide the boxes and good tracking...just REALLY backed up on repair/replacement...I got a new triggers on mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    When it shows up on a reliable news source, I'll pay more attention.
    <sigh> Let me just go look that up for you............
    HOUSTON, Dec. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- On Dec. 5, 2014, papers were filed seeking approval of a proposed settlement of two economic class-action lawsuits of certain Remington bolt-action centerfire firearms that contain either a Walker trigger mechanism, or a trigger mechanism which utilizes a "trigger connector."
    The filings triggered multiple news reports that mistakenly conveyed the proposed agreement in significant fashions that require immediate clarification.

• These settlements are not recalls.
    • These settlements are not any admission that the products are defective or unsafe.
    • These settlements are an opportunity for any concerned consumers who have the Remington Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722 and 725 rifles with either a Walker trigger mechanism, or a trigger mechanism which utilizes a "trigger connector" to have Remington install a new trigger.
    • The benefits under the settlement, including the trigger replacement program, will not be in place until after court approval of the settlement and full notice will go out at that time.

This culminates from extensive mediator-supervised negotiations between lawyers for those concerned about the triggers and Remington, who while denying there is any cause for concern, always desires to ensure that its customers are satisfied with Remington products.
    A joint press release will be issued to better explain details of the proposed settlement.
    For further information, contact: Mark Lanier at wml@LanierLawFirm.com; 800-723-3216
    If approved, this will be in ADDITION to the RECALL which has been in place for some time, and which currently appears on the Remington website.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    <sigh> Let me just go look that up for you............If approved, this will be in ADDITION to the RECALL which has been in place for some time, and which currently appears on the Remington website.
    Good info, I like the part that says it is not a recall but a trigger replacement!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Good info, I like the part that says it is not a recall but a trigger replacement!
    Riiiiiiiiiiighhhht. It's not a "recall", it's just an opportunity being offered to get your gun fixed for free, if you so desire, while through our lawyer we're not admitting any fault. Meaning: it was cheaper to settle out of court and offer to replace triggers, than to lose the lawsuit and have to replace triggers.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    I sent two of my 700's in...You can identify if yours is affected by serial number...if they tell you 12 weeks...take that with a grain of salt as I sent mine in May...got back in OCT...They provide the boxes and good tracking...just REALLY backed up on repair/replacement...I got a new triggers on mine...
    Had a rifle picked up by UPS in Palmer on 1/08/15 and it arrived back to me today, 1/30/15. 3 weeks seems great!

CapnMike - did they replace the trigger or just clean it?

I got the paper work for mine and it said UPS was shipping it to Wild West Guns in Anchorage, so I dropped it off Yesterday. They couldn't give me an estimate on a time frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast