Thread: do I have enough boat?

Default do I have enough boat?

Hello all I am new here. I will be pcsing to eilson afb and I want to bring my express 1872 up with me it has a yamaha 115 prop on it. However I have heard both ways that I will be ok and that I need a new boat. What are yalls opinions on it? Thanks for any advice

i wouldnt go out in big blue with it. Swop the prop for a jet and run it all over the place, rivers and lakes
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlabs View Post
    Hello all I am new here. I will be pcsing to eilson afb and I want to bring my express 1872 up with me it has a yamaha 115 prop on it. However I have heard both ways that I will be ok and that I need a new boat. What are yalls opinions on it? Thanks for any advice
    Not sure what an express 1872 is other than a boat about 18ft long and 6ft wide, is it a flat bottom?? if so Jim's advice was spot on.
    put a jet on it and explore all the lakes and rivers in the Fbks area..

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Not sure what an express 1872 is other than a boat about 18ft long and 6ft wide, is it a flat bottom?? if so Jim's advice was spot on.
    put a jet on it and explore all the lakes and rivers in the Fbks area..
    That's exactly what it is a semi v all weld that's 6 ft at the bottom and about 8 at the top

Post up some pics for a better look at what ya got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlabs View Post
    That's exactly what it is a semi v all weld that's 6 ft at the bottom and about 8 at the top
    I ran ran a boat very similar to yours while I was at Eielson. Take off the lower unit, put on a jet pump, and have a ball on the interior rivers.

Here is a pic of it with my blind and without my blind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like the others said, put a jet drive on it and take it up the rivers and lakes. I would not be taking a boat like that out on the ocean unless it was glassy flat calm with no swell. For the ocean you need a boat with a deeper V to cut chop and swells. Flat bottom boats ride horribly on the ocean and plow into waves instead of cutting through them. Buy a 17 or 18 foot boston whaler and you will have a good ocean going open skiff. Plus they won't sink.

Swapping to a jet will require raising the powerhead ~ 5" and buying a jet pump (~2K). A jet pump will reduce the HP by ~ 30%. Power output will be ~ 80 hp at the pump. I ran a Yammie 115/80 on a 17.5' boat and it did fine, perfect motor for that boat. Since you already have the prop leg you may want to install a lift which will facilitate swapping from prop to jet. A good lift like a POWERTRAN will run 1K.

Plenty of info here on this type of setup/swap..

Some greenheads in AK as well....good luck
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I planned on adding float pods to it before I get there. And your saying with a jack plate I shouldnt need to change my lower unit out to a jet?

If you install a jet you have to raise the motor about 5". If you are going to use just the jet you dont need a jack plate, just some type of a semi-permanent transom extension. The jack plate (lift) allow you to raise and lower the motor to use it for both jet and prop.
    Pods are a great idea, particularly with a lift, whoever builds them for you needs to understand a few things. From my experience they need angle up slightly. Depending on their size. I built a set a few years ago and they come up about 1". I think they stick out 24". Every boat could be different in this regard.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Sounds good thank you. I may have them installed before I head up or I may just wait and have them installed once I get there