Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New sheep hunting video

Default New sheep hunting video

I just purchased a copy of "Black Shale, White Sheep", a new sheep hunting video put out by these folks: www.timberlinevideos.com. It features about 11 hunts and has good quality camera work. Overall, I liked the style and there were only one or two places that irritated me (most hunting videos provide me with far more irritation). One notable aspect was the poor shooting by many of the clients, but at the same time I was impressed that some of the dudes who appeared to be out of shape were able to get up the mountain. Anyway, watching the video got me a little more excited than normal about August 10. My wife didn't believe that was actuallyt possible! As a bonus the video contains a good segment about evaluating legal rams featuring Politicalbio. I'd be interested to hear the impressions of others who may have seen this video.

It better be good Chisana I just ordered it! <grin>

I own it. It's a great dvd. There is some poor shooting, however.

Red face cut

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    I just purchased a copy of "Black Shale, White Sheep", a new sheep hunting video put out by these folks: www.timberlinevideos.com. It features about 11 hunts and has good quality camera work. Overall, I liked the style and there were only one or two places that irritated me (most hunting videos provide me with far more irritation). One notable aspect was the poor shooting by many of the clients, but at the same time I was impressed that some of the dudes who appeared to be out of shape were able to get up the mountain. Anyway, watching the video got me a little more excited than normal about August 10. My wife didn't believe that was actuallyt possible! As a bonus the video contains a good segment about evaluating legal rams featuring Politicalbio. I'd be interested to hear the impressions of others who may have seen this video.
    Just ordered mine. How much is your cut?
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Got Mine

I was thinking of posting a review earlier, but thought it might seem like I am promoting the video. I got mine on Tuesday, and have watched it twice. It is one of the best hunting videos I've seen. BTW, you can't keep people from shooting poorly, and if I packed a camera on a sheep hunt, I don't think I would want the footage to go to waste. It's a great all around video and there are some great shots on their also.

Default sounds like a winner...

Blackfoot, You've got a great point. Every time we plan on videoing a hunt we bail on it due to the work involved with climbing and stalking etc.
    Plus spooking a sheep for a video would be a tough swallow.
    It would seem almost any productive film work for a dall would be hard fought.

I'm gonna check this one out....

Frank

Default I agree

I also have this video and thought it was one of the better sheep hunting video I have seen.

I was surprised, like some of you, how his out-of-shape clients were able to climb these mountains. There was poor shooting, but it was kind of cool to see the bullet flying in wasn't it?

Overall, I will recommend this video.

Default poor shots

I have the same impression as the rest of you about the shooting. Although everyone is going to make a bad shot sometime, I didn't see the need to show a gut shot several times in slow motion. Overall I like the video though.

What did you guys think of the section on evaluating the legality of a ram? I thought it was pretty good, but would have liked to see more explanation of Rick's aging criteria.

Default Judging

I would have liked to see him point out on live sheep from the video the ones that were legal and not, and the reasons why.

I think the video was very good. I love watching the "vapor trails" of the bullets as they are fired. I also liked how they show the hunt from start to finish and how much work it is to get one.

I too was impressed with those big boys that made it up the mountain. I felt a little bad for the big boy who got up there and missed! Thank goodness he redeemed himself.

Default Hunting videos

Disclaimer: I am an avid hunter and have been since I was a kid.

Now this may sound strange to some but I don't really care for most hunting videos. I like everything that leads up to the kill and then everything afterwards but don't really enjoy watching the animal get killed. The actual act of killing is not why I hunt but it seems that that is what is highlighted and glorified in most hunting videos, at least the ones I've seen. When I kill an animal there is always the mixed emotions of joy/accompishment from a successfull hunt and sadness/respect/sense of intrusivness because I went into the animals habitat and killed it. I just don't see any point in glorifiying the actual kill. Now, the actual hunt, the stalk, the high fives afterwards, etc. is different.

Call me crazy if you want. I just don't care to watch animals get killed. But having said that I have no problem with hunting videos for those who want to watch them. It's just a personal thing for me.

Default Snyd .. ..

By the sounds of it, you should check out Primal Dreams. It is a video produced by the Wensel Brothers. I thoroughly enjoyed it. As you say, there is a lot more to hunting than the kill.

My .02

-- Gambler

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I like everything that leads up to the kill and then everything afterwards...Now, the actual hunt, the stalk, the high fives afterwards, etc. is different.
    Snyd, I mostly agree with you, except I don't mind watching the kill. I do enjoy the actual hunt more though. I have a great (old) Eastman video that is filmed north/west of the Canol Road that is spectacular. It is close to two hours and embodies the entire hunt. Some animals are passed on just to get video of the animals. Of course, I can't remember the name of it now! I think its called Challenging the Northwest Territory. I've got a few older George Klucky films that are embody the entire hunt too.

I do enjoy Jack Brittingham's videos but his tend to be mostly kills too.

Tim

Gotta agree with you Snyd. I don't know how many animals I've passed up because I didn't want the hunt to end. I don't enjoy the killing. I guess a part of me has to like it, because I love hunting, but I'd rather see ten moose than shoot one. I would really enjoy a movie that only showed stalking, and calling with lots of animals on screen. It's nice to see that there are people out there who share the same views as I do.

-Eric

Hunting season for me is 365 days a year (366 next year!) Shooting season is something shorter that you find in a reg book. The latter is a subset of the former, IMO.

i guess i'm not to the point of "hunting" just for the looking, i'm still in the "i'd rather eat one moose than see 20...catagory" I don't trophy hunt for myself and enjoy the gifts God gives me big small few or far between. I guess when i'm to the point of just looking, i'll leave the gun at home and take the camera, animals are cool no doubt but i feel i need to know what game i'm gonna go play before i load my backpack. Its great to hear guys enjoying the "hunt" with out the kill,i too enjoy the hunt, but it kinda feels like getting the water, soap and brush out and then just looking at my truck, i'm there to wash it. When i'm ready to just look at it, i'll bring the lawn chair and a coke instead...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Maybe in being brief I was too brief. For me, the act of hunting includes everything I do over the year to prepare myself for the opportunity to take an animal. So, scouting, range time, gear preparation, and mulling my options are all part of the package, as is the shooting and killing.

Hunting is different than looking, for me. I see and hear much better when I'm hunting, whatever time of year I'm doing it.

understand...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Don't get me wrong I like pulling the trigger and knocking one down, I usually shoot the first legal critter I see that I'm going after. The point of hunting afterall is the end result of a dead animal. Otherwise like brwnbr said, might as well leave the gun at home and take a camera instead. (Which is what my grampa started doing when he hit his 70's) It just seems different to see it on a video. Maybe because I'm not experiencing all the other stuff that goes along with hunting, only observing the kill.

But having said that, one of the hardest things I had to watch in my entire life was a beautiful Dall ram I shot last year dive into no mans land before he died and tumble head over heals hundreds of feet down in the craigs. I just shook my head and cringed. But when we down to him the whoohoos and high fives began. Man I love to hunt.....

55 DAYS TO SHEEP!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast