Thread: Polaris 550 Voyageur Owners?

Default Polaris 550 Voyageur Owners?

How are you guys liking this machine? Anyone on the 155 yet? Deep snow trailbreaking performance? Tundra comparisons?
    I'm liking the look of it, but haven't heard a thing abuot them as of yet.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Yukoner, I have a 2014 550 Voyager 144" I picked up new last season. I use it for hauling gear in and out of our cabin at Flathorn Lake, as well as hauling firewood while there. I have not had one bit of trouble with this sled thus far and find it to be a real workhorse (for a 550 fan).
    It steers easily, rides well and starts at 25 below without any problem. As we never really got any deep snow last spring I haven't ridden it in anything really deep. I'm sure the new 155" Voyager probably floats a little easier with the longer track and the new wider skis. I am a little leery about their new "articulated" track, but that may not be an issue (?).
    The mileage on this sled isn't anything to write home about (12-13mpg) but that's not a really big concern. Range works out to between 130 and 140 miles per tank. What I wanted was a dependable sled that started easily, cooled well, pulled hard and didn't weigh too much. The Voyager has met all those criteria and should give me many years of loyal service.
    As the past four sleds I've owned have all been Polaris, I really can't say how it would compare to a new Tundra. For the money, I think the Voyager is pretty hard to beat.

Yukoner,
    Just to let you know, there's a write-up on the new Voyager 550cc 155" sled in the newest (Feb 2015) SnowGoer magazine. Reviewers called the Voyager 155 "... near perfect in (these) wooded, deep-snow conditions - a little woods scalpel that cuts, carves and shaves it's way through the trees". Another said, "Almost any gaps in the trees that you can see, you can go through with very little finesse. It always stays on top of the snow, no matter what." And at nearly $4,200 less than a Tundra Extreme, probably worth a serious look.

Thanks for that
    I've never been a fan of the Tundras due to their tippiness, but nothing else seemed to do as well. I'll check out that review.
    Cheers
    Paul
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I just scored a 155 Voyageur last week. I'll let you know what I think when I get to ride it.

Turns out two of the 5 gallon Briggs and Stratton fuel jugs from Walmart fit perfectly in the back rack. That alone makes it a good buy!

Go buy it. I just ran mine to shell lake and back. I tried to break trail into my cabin. 30" of soft snow with no base. The voyageur rode up and over the snow, alders, and logs like a tank. My bearcat, however, got stuck in the alder punjis almost immediately. No joy, but that's not why I own te bearcat. The voyageur is perfect for what I do - big trail rides way up the Yentna, deep snow boondocking, hauling gear, and coming home. The 550 fan makes smooth tractable power that doesn't trench into the snow, doesn't overheat, and doesn't have tons of electronic BS on it. I got the big windshield and wind deflectors straight away. The things I don't like are the lack of power (it's not a mountain masher), the silly way Polaris holds the hood on, the fact that it doesn't have handlebar hooks, and it's hard to put a hotdog get on it.

Thanks for chiming in. What year BC do you have?
    The Voyageur has electronic reverse, right? How does it do in reverse in deep snow?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

The BC is an 09. It's one of the tanks. I like it a lot, but it isn't nimble. The Voyageur ha PERC. I backed up some; the articulated track seems to deliver. I know when I decided to turn aroun I expected to get stuck but didn't. The big advantage it has is the powerband. The 550 is real smooth and steady. It doesn't dig.