Thread: karluck lake spring bear

Default karluck lake spring bear

I m going this spring, looking for any pointers on making this happen, planning, logistics, campsites, need a boat? hows the fishing? base camp down low with ability to go high?

any info would be appreciated

I bet the steelhead fishing would be some of the best you've ever encountered. Checkout Kodiak Kamps for gear rentals...They could provide you with a raft and all the other gear you might need. Roland with Seahawk Air has some great rates. If the winter is weak and the river is open you could probably float down to the village of Karluk and catch a Island Air scheduled flight back on a Mon/Wed/Fri.
    He charges by weight so that helps price wise.
    I would just plan finding a place where you can glass a large area. The less scent you spread the better.

Give your self the full 14 or 15 days if you can. Use your glass till they wear out, not your legs. Be prepared to see lots of sows and Cubs if you go in May.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Give your self the full 14 or 15 days if you can. Use your glass till they wear out, not your legs. Be prepared to see lots of sows and Cubs if you go in May.
    Good advice from Jake. I shot my bear at 9:30 PM of the 15th day. Hunting from the Karluk river. Fishing was dynamite for both steelhead and sea run dollies. Use "little cleos " in 3/8 size.