Thread: Took my son for a walk today

Default Took my son for a walk today

Decided it was time to get my 4 year old boy out and get him more active. Since I got laid off in early November I've been pretty lazy. So I drove us out to Kincaid chalet for a nice morning walk. We hiked on the sisson loop trail mostly. Great place to see wildlife and it was so quiet ( cept for planes). We saw 9 moose along the way, and I showed him the tracks of moose, fox, coyote and hare. As we rounded a bend in the trail I see a hare dart across. And right behind it a lynx! He was pretty excited about it! Dad did you see that? That sure is a big kitty!! Haha Alaska never fails to amaze. We also found a spruce that was so rubbed by antlers it was bare and rubbed smooth for 6 feet up.

Release Lake Trout

Awesome! I bet that'll get him hooked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the way to get him started. A couple times a week with good weather and warm mittens and you'll have a hunting partner in no time. good on ya.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Awesome! get some photos going. Great memories.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Decided it was time to get my 4 year old boy out and get him more active. Since I got laid off in early November I've been pretty lazy. So I drove us out to Kincaid chalet for a nice morning walk. We hiked on the sisson loop trail mostly. Great place to see wildlife and it was so quiet ( cept for planes). We saw 9 moose along the way, and I showed him the tracks of moose, fox, coyote and hare. As we rounded a bend in the trail I see a hare dart across. And right behind it a lynx! He was pretty excited about it! Dad did you see that? That sure is a big kitty!! Haha Alaska never fails to amaze. We also found a spruce that was so rubbed by antlers it was bare and rubbed smooth for 6 feet up.
    As a guy with a son that is now 24 years old, a father HAS to make the conscious decision to make those kinds of things happen as often as possible.

Blink your eye and he's grown up and doin' his own thing. Whenever you doubt this, just take some time to listen to the lyrics of "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin. That should drive it home.

I'm not saying that I didn't have some great times out in the bush with my boy, but later, when you think back on it, there weren't nearly enough of them.

They grow up waaaaaay too fast.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

They grow fast,my boy is 45 and has grandkids. Seems just yesterday he was four and got his first shetland pony.Good on you dad and keep it going.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

OP, you are on the right track so keep up the good work. One day your son will really make you proud!