Thread: Calling/decoying deer on Kodiak

Default Calling/decoying deer on Kodiak

A buddy and I are going to spend a couple of weeks on the south end of Kodiak next year bowhunting for deer. I've seen some references to calling and decoying but can't seem to find any details on the techniques and calls that are used. We will be there in mid October. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bleat calling works well in the right time and place, but watchyerbackside. It works as well for bears as deer.

Dunno about decoys, but I've never heard of anyone trying it.

I'd bring a call and binos, forget the decoy. Just glass hard, they should still be high depending on the weather of course. But glass, glass, glass, then be real sneaky....Calling here isn't done as much as it is down in SE AK. Down there you can't see out of the muskeg you're standing in, here, you can see a long ways.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

In a state that doesnt' require blaze orange.......I'd avoid the decoy.

Unpressured blacktails are not that wary, even pressured blacktails are easier than the average whitetail. Don't overthink it. I'd bring rattling antlers, a fawn bleat, a grunt tube, binos......and bullets or arrows. Rattling seems better pre rut (so OCt. would be perfect..

my buddy goes to the south end every year with his recurve. He goes mid late nov. he has a hat that has ears on it. he glasses the bucks then sneaks to a near ridge and lets them see his head. he has killed several booners with his bow

Quote Originally Posted by Jrchambers View Post
    my buddy goes to the south end every year with his recurve. He goes mid late nov. he has a hat that has ears on it. he glasses the bucks then sneaks to a near ridge and lets them see his head. he has killed several booners with his bow
    Sounds like a good way to get shot.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Jrchambers View Post
    Hunter orange ears I hope!

Don't worry no ones out there with a loaded gun itching to shoot something.....
    I have used bleats and grunts with success
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have used calls and decoys successfully but on whitetails. I have called in bucks to grunts but only during the rut. I have had bucks come in like dogs to a whistle from 100 yards. The problem with calls they can pinpoint your location if you call too much, I had a big 8 pointer come in this fall from 100 yards, I stopped calling when he was at 60 so as not to give away my location, he came to 30 yards and went diagonally away, so I grunted him again and he came back but was forced to take a 40 yard shot since the deer was going to get down wind, I missed.

The next day I put a buck decoy out and grunted him again, he saw the decoy and circled around it at 25 yards but I waited for a better shot which never developed and he lost interest.

The next day I used a doe decoy but I never saw the big 8 but a doe and fawn did the same thing circled and lost interest, I can only guess no scent of a deer and no movement...but they did not put them on alert just brought out their curiosity. The decoys are collapsible so easily carried so yes they can bring a deer in closer, focusing their attention away from you and add to deer calls which can bring them in from a distance and let their visual take over

Doe bleat call. Period. No antler rattling. No grunts. No decoys. and definitely no hats with ears on them!