Thread: Bag Limit , Possession limit and annual limit Clarification.

Default Bag Limit , Possession limit and annual limit Clarification.

Can anyone inspire me further as to the exact definition of what a possession limit entails according to the relevant Alaskan law. It would appear to be a very grey area indeed. For example , if on the water on a say two-three day trip , on the first day , I process the fish into fillets and freeze them , does this then "reset " the possession limit whilst simultaneously transferring them into the overall season bag?. And if so , if I process the fish ( or shell fish for that matter ) into vacuum packed bags , does the same " transfer" of possession limit still apply in this manner?......

Kind regards from Ireland

As I understand it once it is processed meaning cut, vacuum sealed and frozen it is no longer a limit for the day OR trip. I believe the change is once frozen. There are some fish that is a annual catch and that means just that annual.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Here's the key as I understand it:

The Alaska Regs definition of possession limit: the max number of "un-preserved" fish a person may have in possession. As I read definitions in the SE AK regs, fish "preserved" such as to be edible after 15 days (frozen, for example) do not count in the possession limit.

SE AK regs are quite clear that the IPHC and the feds (NOAA) control halibut regs.
    NOAA halibut regs do NOT include the exception that "preserved" fish do not count.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Without throwing a bunch of acronyms you don't know at you......

You go fishing on a three day trip. You are going after the hookah fish, (made that up) This fish is allows 2 fish per day (bag limit) 4 on the boat per person IN TOTAL but not more than two from any one day (possession limit) and you can only keep 5 a year (annual limit).

A bag limit or daily limit cannot be messed with, neither can an annual limit. However, the possession limit is a nearly endless discussion of what is "preserved" etc. The definition NewMoon regarding 15 days is spot on. Many folks have tried to do things like brining, bagging and chilling on ice, smoking etc. but in the end if it's not frozen, it is still part of your possession limit. So even if in vaccuum bags, it must be frozen

So, on day one you can keep two Hookahs, on day two you can keep two Hookahs. Now on day three you cannot keep any Hookahs unless you freeze at least one of the Hookahs you already caught. and even then you can only keep one because of the annual limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Without throwing a bunch of acronyms you don't know at you......

You go fishing on a three day trip. You are going after the hookah fish, (made that up) This fish is allows 2 fish per day (bag limit) 4 on the boat per person IN TOTAL but not more than two from any one day (possession limit) and you can only keep 5 a year (annual limit).

A bag limit or daily limit cannot be messed with, neither can an annual limit. However, the possession limit is a nearly endless discussion of what is "preserved" etc. The definition NewMoon regarding 15 days is spot on. Many folks have tried to do things like brining, bagging and chilling on ice, smoking etc. but in the end if it's not frozen, it is still part of your possession limit. So even if in vaccuum bags, it must be frozen

So, on day one you can keep two Hookahs, on day two you can keep two Hookahs. Now on day three you cannot keep any Hookahs unless you freeze at least one of the Hookahs you already caught. and even then you can only keep one because of the annual limit.
    I would be going after the clubah fish...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    However, the possession limit is a nearly endless discussion of what is "preserved" etc. The definition NewMoon regarding 15 days is spot on. Many folks have tried to do things like brining, bagging and chilling on ice, smoking etc. but in the end if it's not frozen, it is still part of your possession limit. So even if in vaccuum bags, it must be frozen.
    But don't forget: being frozen does not remove halibut from what you have "in possession" - IPFC/Fed regs.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Just spoke with a NOAA enforcement officer. Note that federal regulations on possession limit is different by state even in federal regs. However he noted that federal "use" of the term possession is as it applies to onboard a vessel at sea. There are specific rules for transporting more than your possession limit (basically can't have fishing gear onboard) which implies you can "posses" off-vessel more than the "on-vessel" possession limit of NO MORE than two daily bag limits for Alaska (depending on other rules the state my impose).

In a nut shell, the enforcement officer said from a federal perspective, once you take it off the boat, he isn't coming to your house to check. His concern is to make sure that what you haul up on your boat is legal.

Hope that made some sense. Super nice gentleman, very helpful. Direct line is 907 586 9329. email: Robert.Marvelle@NOAA.gov (Robert Marvelle) and he welcomed any questions any of us might have on this matter.