Thread: Mnt Goat

Default Mnt Goat

Anybody have any luck taking one with a bow? And please do share any tips! I'm hoping to do this next year!

No - but here's my tip........I think that to be successful in hunting mountain goat with a bow I'd have to leave my rifle at home.

Default Mnt Goat

I found while hunting my goat in 2013 that when they were in their escape terrain it was very easy to get close to them and that the terrain they chose made it easy to stay hidden until very near the animals. Now this is obviously dependent on the mountain you are on and the your ability to navigate that particular selection of terrain. I can think of three instances when I was within 7 to 15 yards of the animals when trying to identify sex. After pushing them two or three times they would disappear into unnavigable terrain.

On the other hand a lone billy I identified on an open grassy slope (not escape terrain) ran after only a small glimpse of me at +600 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWHUNTER View Post
    I found while hunting my goat in 2013 that when they were in their escape terrain it was very easy to get close to them and that the terrain they chose made it easy to stay hidden until very near the animals. Now this is obviously dependent on the mountain you are on and the your ability to navigate that particular selection of terrain. I can think of three instances when I was within 7 to 15 yards of the animals when trying to identify sex. After pushing them two or three times they would disappear into unnavigable terrain.

On the other hand a lone billy I identified on an open grassy slope (not escape terrain) ran after only a small glimpse of me at +600 yards.
    This is SPOT on! Just came back from a goat hunt with my daughters and it went down exactly as discribed above. Take it slow, be patient, and plan out your attack I think it is very doable to take one with a bow. Good luck!

I personally do not think there is an animal in NA that is easier to get into bow range on than a Mountain Goat. Yeah, the country may be tough, steep, nasty etc....and the weather may be horrible... Regardless, if you take your time, either get above them OR get to a place you know they WANT to be (watch them for a day...) I feel it is extremely simple...

Good luck.

What these guys said, you just gotta have the determination to get in there home. Sheep look at ya 2000 feet below and get the hell outa there, Goats look at ya and wonder if you're dumb enough to come up there.....Question is....are ya???
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Goats look at ya and wonder if you're dumb enough to come up there.....Question is....are ya???
    This made me LOL, but so true.