Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This Close Enough for a Backup Shot......???

Default Is This Close Enough for a Backup Shot......???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJLISMIPjg

I was checking this video out from this year on the youtubes......i think i would have shot a lot quicker, but i have also never been four foot from a 10' 4" Brown already hit with an arrow.....

Joe

That bear was hurtin' bad, and probably was why he didn't shoot sooner. The bear was coming for sure but not like he could have if he wasn't hurt real bad. When you guide a bow hunter a guide really doesn't want to have to shoot unless absolutely necessary.

One hell of a bear for sure......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Wow...

This is why we/everyone pays guides. Safety of the client is what is most important. Good shot!

I would have needed a new pair of undies after that....

Longkj

Wooo boy.

I don't think that thing was ever more than 25 yards away......dang. Not sure what it means for the books if a gun gets used to finish it and ideally every archer wants to take it with the stick and string only, but those boys showed some serious restraint waiting for the arrow to do it's work.......wow.

Good guide!! Took care of business.
    Very few guides if any would hold on that long.
    Curious if he would do the same next time. Got my vote.

Amazing video! Nerves of steel on both parts and a fantastic back up shot. Just amazing- if I need a back up I sure hope he is that cool, calm, and collected! What a monster sized bear. Thanks for posting the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Wooo boy.

I don't think that thing was ever more than 25 yards away......dang. Not sure what it means for the books if a gun gets used to finish it and ideally every archer wants to take it with the stick and string only, but those boys showed some serious restraint waiting for the arrow to do it's work.......wow.
    That's the sad part it won't qualify. ... Still rush of a life time. Guide hunter and camera person if there was third. Agree WOW!!

I have nothing against bow hunters, but that is why I don't bow hunt. Amazing video.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    I have nothing against bow hunters, but that is why I don't bow hunt. Amazing video.
    Maybe that's why you don't bow hunt for brownies, but I saw nothing else that would dissuade a bow hunter in general. That animal was surely going down, even from the first arrow. If it had walked away instead of getting so close (and charging), it would have just laid down and taken a nap, wondering if it ate some bad fish after getting stung by a bee. Then man would have to do the age old skill of actually tracking an animal to it's deathbed. Likely this is how most bear archery hunts go.

That first shot was iffy at best--low and in the guts would have left a long and dangerous tracking job. Lucky the second shot came available. Still, kudos for hanging in there and it all worked. A bit jealous I guess--nothing seems to work for me when bowhunting Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Maybe that's why you don't bow hunt for brownies, but I saw nothing else that would dissuade a bow hunter in general. That animal was surely going down, even from the first arrow. If it had walked away instead of getting so close (and charging), it would have just laid down and taken a nap, wondering if it ate some bad fish after getting stung by a bee. Then man would have to do the age old skill of actually tracking an animal to it's deathbed. Likely this is how most bear archery hunts go.
    Personally, just me here, if I go hunting something that has the power to kill me, then I want quick, sure death, period. No walking, talking,snarling, grunting, tracking.....lights out power. I have technology to remove life from a ten footer then use it. If I wanted action like that, why have a backup at all? Give him a pocket knife and go Rambo.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Unfortunately this is now considered a rifle kill (unfortunate for the bow hunter that is). Its very important for a bow hunter to choose a guide wisely and communicate what is expected of the guide. Some guides get trigger happy and pull the trigger as soon as the string is released.

WoW!
    That was a great job by the guide! Great footage !

Pope and Young wouldn't accept it anyways it as he used illuminated nocks. Seems like B&C might have issue with the rifle follow up too from other articles I've read. Still a **** fine bear and one heck of a story caught on vid no less.

So I have a friend that watched this and told me that bear didn't charge. It was just walking in their direction.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Kudos to the guide for remaining as calm as a steely-eyed missile man!

Walking in their direction?!?! Gotta call it like it is, looks to me like the bear probably got their scent after moving past them, clearly Intent on making contact. That's not even a question. First shot didn't look to good, his arrows looked
    To be fast and light, I woukda hoped for better penetration, but as that bear walked by them it was a good call not to shoot. Bear didn't even acknowledge them. Luke's been doing this a long time, good move on the final shot. Gotta love beach bears of afognak!

Also love the scale picture at the end, we got a monster once and I guessed him heavy then was told they hardly ever get over 1200 lbs but I never could weigh it. Now I know it was closer to my guess than I thought. That video makes me homesick....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Walking in their direction?!?! Gotta call it like it is, looks to me like the bear probably got their scent after moving past them, clearly Intent on making contact.
    The bear definitely knew they were there and was comin' for them. You can hear the wind in the mic, but hard to know if it was coming from off shore or not. After that second arrow the bear knew they were there as from what I can tell he looks right at them not once, but twice. As you know bears have an incredible talent of marking a sound, and probably heard when the second arrow was released as well. It looked to me that the bear was actually going to try and run away, but, probably feeling the pain like he was, decided at the last moment to come for the reason he was in that pain.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Pope and Young wouldn't accept it anyways it as he used illuminated nocks. Seems like B&C might have issue with the rifle follow up too from other articles I've read. Still a **** fine bear and one heck of a story caught on vid no less.
    As of August 1, 2014, lighted nocks are allowed by P&Y....

Default Is This Close Enough for a Backup Shot......???

After watching this video, I watched several afognak rifle hunt videos. It appeared that the guide always shot the bear immediately after the hunter. Is this the norm on a brown bear guided hunt?

I would not want anyone else to shoot unless truly necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast