Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That one gun you sold, and now regret

Default That one gun you sold, and now regret

So I'm kind of enjoying reading everyone's posts int he "One gun you passed on and now regret" thread, so I thought I would invert that question and ask "What is the one gun you sold and now you regret having sold it?"

I've sold off nine guns in my lifetime thus far. Some I have no remorse of having parted with. A couple I wish I hadn't sold. I any event, I've learned my lesson to the point that I no longer sell guns; I only buy them. (When I"m not broke, which is rare.)

But of the guns I've sold, the one I regret selling most...well shoot, there are two..one was a Winchester Mod 94AE New Haven gun, early 90's. It wasn't anything special, but it was my first centerfire firearm, and one of the last guns my Dad bought specifically for me. Sort of a high school graduation thing. After 10 years in a closet, I sold it to a fellow Scoutmaster as a gift for his son who had just made Eagle. His son killed his first deer with it, still owns it, and no, he won't sell it back.

The other was a Ruger Security Six Stainless with 4" barrel. I'm not into handguns anymore, but that was the best handgun I've ever owned or used. It was a good pair to my 357 lever gun.

C'est la vie, but you can bet you won't see an add from me selling any guns any time soon.

S & W Model 1006 in 10mm. That handgun was built like a tank.

Never sold a gun so wouldn't know. Only a buyer, up to two safes and counting.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

20 gauge Model 37 Winchester. First gun I purchased with my own money. I don't have much interest in shooting one ever again, but I do wish I still had it in the safe. My 7 year old probably appreciates that it is gone, so he'll never have to be kicked in the shoulder by one of those mules.

Quote Originally Posted by OHAK View Post
    20 gauge Model 37 Winchester. First gun I purchased with my own money. I don't have much interest in shooting one ever again, but I do wish I still had it in the safe. My 7 year old probably appreciates that it is gone, so he'll never have to be kicked in the shoulder by one of those mules.
    HAHA...I have a Model 24 Winchester in 20 gauge and my son, when was 10, said "That thing kicks like a battering ram!" He hasn't shot it since. That was 3 years ago.

I once owned a winchester 30/30. It was my first rifle and I traded (not sold) it for my first car. A VW diesel rabbit. Never got the car running. I miss that old 30/30

Winchester model 12 in 12ga

I regret every single stinking gun I've ever sold. Not happening again. My kids can make their own decisions when I take a dirt nap.

I'm in a similar boat only sold or traded three in my life and regret each of them. Unless it means putting food clothes or a roof over kids I don't have yet it's out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbuster0006 View Post
    I'm in a similar boat only sold or traded three in my life and regret each of them. Unless it means putting food clothes or a roof over kids I don't have yet it's out of the question.
    Oh I feel your pain.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I've only sold one gun, a Rem. 788 LH in .308. I bought it just for the action. It seemed to kick me more than anything else I shot, gun just didn't fit me. I needed gas $ to get my life jump started. I bought it for $150 and sold it back to the same store for $135. I never hunted with it and shot it very little. It was a good call as I got my life back on track.

I've passed on a few family guns to other family members, a good feeling. I need to sell off several guns; just can't bring myself to do the deed.

I get the "it's only a tool" idea; however, in our family the guns were (are) stories & memories.

Had an M1 carbine that I traded for a Ithaca 37. The M1 had barely been fired(civilian model) and was nearly mint. I kick myself everytime I think about it. Thanks for reminding me!
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

In my late teens I stopped into Cabela’s in Sidney NE one day, and Dick Cabela was filling in at the gun counter for an employee that was out on leave. Anyway, he was stocking the rack with some new rifles, and one of them was a shiny Browning BLR in .243 Winchester with really nice figured stocks. I bought that rifle right then and there from Dick Cabela himself… and then traded it about a year later to a buddy of mine for an AR-15. $ wise, it was a fair trade at the time, but now all these years later I wish I still had that Browning. The AR-15 is also long gone, having been sold off to a different buddy during one of the years I spent living in California. It was right about the time they required all such rifles to be registered, and I wasn’t interested in playing that game, but neither was I willing to risk a felony for being in possession of an unregister “assault rifle”. Oh well… who knows, perhaps another BLR will cross my path at a gun show one day!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I was thinking about this thread last night. The only gun I regret getting rid of was that 30-30. Other than that gun, I've gotten rid of maybe 8 concealed carry pistols (glocks, taurus, and smiths), two shotguns, and an AR-15 (sold it for my wife's engagement ring fund). I have no regrets. However...My dad had this beautiful Browning single shot 22-250 with some of the prettiest wood I've ever seen. It had an octagon shaped barrel. Just magnificent. I drolled over that gun for a long time, and knew that one day it would get passed down to me. Three years ago, my dad fell in love with a Gibson acoustic guitar. He ended up trading the gun for the guitar. We debated the pros and cons of both and though we both loved that gun, we both knew that guitar would bring more joy to him. However, we still talk about that gun...with a longing to get it back

My list is short but longer than I'd like.

S&W 686, custom Andy Canon Street L

S & W 28, First centerfire handgun

Winchester Model 88, .243

I don't sell much but I don't buy much either.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Singer 1911 45 acp

Default Me too

Quote Originally Posted by houndsnmules View Post
    Singer 1911 45 acp
    I had to sell a fox A grade with two sets of barrels and forearms, in 87. Tough times for me, had power bills and rent to pay. I'd had it since I was 18.

Quote Originally Posted by AHOY View Post
    I had to sell a fox A grade with two sets of barrels and forearms, in 87. Tough times for me, had power bills and rent to pay. I'd had it since I was 18.
    This right here. This is my absolute number one fear. That, after I'm gone, my son will sell my grandfather's and my father's firearms-either to pay bills during hard times or for some other such foolishness. Afterall, he didn't know either of those men, both having passed before my son's birth.

I try to etch in his brain that those guns don't ever leave the family, no matter what, but I would bet it's not sinking in.

My dad explained to me that, no maer how bad it gets, you can always feed yourself with those guns (inferring hunting), but I don't think that is true anymore. (Probably wasn't true even then.)

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    This right here. This is my absolute number one fear. That, after I'm gone, my son will sell my grandfather's and my father's firearms-either to pay bills during hard times or for some other such foolishness. Afterall, he didn't know either of those men, both having passed before my son's birth.

I try to etch in his brain that those guns don't ever leave the family, no matter what, but I would bet it's not sinking in.

My dad explained to me that, no maer how bad it gets, you can always feed yourself with those guns (inferring hunting), but I don't think that is true anymore. (Probably wasn't true even then.)
    i think you will be fine. I sold my first gun. Not the heirloom or the one passed down.

Remington 788, .22-250, and I've been crying ever since...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast