Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sisters double on goats in Kodiak

Default Sisters double on goats in Kodiak

Every new hunt I go on with my kids seems to just get better each time with the good times, memories, hardships and rewards. This was by far the funnest, hardest and best hunts of my life. I only have a few pics from one of four camera's at the moment but will add more later in the week...

After the "one, two , three, shoot", Kara spines and drops her 10" nanny in her tracks. She ran up the hill quickly to drag her goat down to her sisters.

The cliff behind me where Kayla's lung shot, 8.5" nanny stopped short was a shear 1500' plus. Her goat went 30 yards before she was done. Both goats shot with .308's, 165gr.

Kayla in the morning fog.Thought is was a cool pic..

Was a fun week!

WOW.........Well done Ladies. And very nice looking deer. Great family experience.

Very nice, that's awesome!!!!

Excellent! I've been looking forward to hearing about this one. Nicely done, and be sure to share more pictures when you get the other cameras uploaded.

Totally awesome!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I'm sure that the time spent with family was worth all the effort and even more so with full freezers. Well done Dad!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve,

Good to hear you guys made it back and had a great hunt. I knew you would. Congratulations to you and the girls. Looks like weather worked for you also.

Randy

Awesome Steve, we leave in 26 days!

Congrats to the girls and the guide/packer.

Fantastic!
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Nice goats and great looking bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Kayla in the morning fog.Thought is was a cool pic..
    No "thought" it was a cool picture....It IS a waaaaaaay cool picture for sure...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Seemed like Kara was a bit disappointed that dad had already posted the pictures. When she stopped by my classroom today to show me the pictures, she said you weren't supposed to post them yet! Still, I loved that she stopped by and am looking forward to hearing more of the story from her the next time I see her in the hall.

What a great hunt, congrats
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Was a fun week!
    Way to go Steve! Your girls must be tough. I showed my daughter your pictures and told her that could be her some day.

Thanks for the nice comments. I honestly think every single day how lucky I am to have the family that I have. Well I am not the best story teller but I will give it a try...
    Kara's and mine main goal for this trip was for her to go after a goat, thats it. Anything eles woud be a bonus or if we got skunked on deer we could always try again for them with alot less effort. Day one started out clear, calm, 37deg and a little foggy. We boarded the boat as a family to go see the sights, find the where the deer were and to glass the mountains for goats. After a few hours of cruising around seeing whales, sea otters, birds, and a few does we ended up back at camp and spent the rest of the day combing and glassing the mountians around us. That night we made the plan to pack a day pack for chasing deer and we also had our frame packs loaded in case we spotted goats and it was go time. Day two at around 1:30pm while at the head of the bay and glassing for deer I spotted several goats way back in a cannyon but up at the top of a mountain. Snow line was at 1800' so we figured the goats were right at 3000'. My hunting partener Rob and I quickly noticed a nice ridge that lead right up to the mountain behind the goats and looked very doable. The thing about the ridge was it started at 1000' and getting up to it thru all the salmon berry bushes and alders later proved a challange. Me, Rob and Kara quickly made the decision to go for it. With it getting dark by 5:00pm we decided the plan was to bust up thru the garbage to the ridge, hike up the ridge to snow line and camp for the night. We figured to wake up and take off at daylight (9:15am) and we should be on goats close to noon. One problem, Kayla now was begging to go. I only had 2 sleeping bags packed for Kara and I (Rob had his own) and the Marmont tent I brought barely holds 3 adults. Plus I packed just enough tuna sandwhiches, Snickers and water for the 3 of us. From a dad that has a hard time saying no, reluctantly told her she could go. Took us 1-1/2 hours of hard brush wacking to get up to the ridge. Another 1-1/2 hours and we were at snow line. Getting dark and temps dropping we tried to find the levelest place to sent the tent. The girls climbed into one bag, I had the other and after splitting sandwhiches we drifted off to sleep. With the clear night up on the mountain I am guessing the temps dropped to around 24 deg and with no sleeping pads, we started to shiver. I pulled out a handfull of the bigger hand warmers and started to pass them out, putting them in between our shirts on our chests. They were a LIFESAVER and actually kept us warm all night.

Day three, we woke up 8:00am and did some stretching, eating and watered up. Grabbed just the frame packs, knives, game bags, rope and food and water and took off at 9:00am. Just as like we guessed, we were about to crest the top of the mountain right at 11:30am. We were very close to were I seen the goats the day before, in fact we were seeing all the fresh tracks and poop all over. I kept the girls about 50 yards behind me as Rob and I crawled on our hands and knees. As we kept clearing small ridges and I would motion for the girls to crawl towards up toward us, always keeping them back 50 yards or so. What seemed forever, Rob finally spots a few goats bedded and facing us about 200 yards away but on a very steep drop off that fell at least 1000'. We backed up out of the goats sight and motioned the girls to come to us. As we sat there somewhat bummed thinking we had no way to retreive the goats if we shot and we knew they would fall if we did. Suddenly the sun peaked over the tall mountain in front of us and was hitting us and the goats. One by one the goats got up and started to hike up the mountian straight at us. Our hearts were beating as one by one goats kept coming toward us. At 70 yards the line of goats started to side hill us. I lost count at 22, with most being nanny and kids but a few monster billys mixed in. I told the girls to line up on their goat of choice and let me know when they were ready for the count down to shoot. After getting the "ready" from both of them I counted 1,2,3 SHOOT! Kara's 10" nanny dropped in her tracks and Kayla's was doing the roll down the mountain towards the 1000' drop off. It stopped just short of going over (10 yards). After Kara dragged her goat down to Kayla's we took pics and started skinning. At 1:30pm we were loaded up and heading back down towards camp. Just as we crest the last small ridge above the tent, with Rob ahead and out of sight we hear him shoot. As we get in sight of him he yells he shot a beautiful 4 point deer. To this day I feel that was his reward for sacrificing a goat shot for the kids knowing we would be in trouble with 3 goats on the ground. But we still had a situation. It was now 3:00pm and we were still at 1800' with 2 goats, 1 deer and camp to get back down to the beach by 5:00 pm ( dark and tide going out). This is where we messed up. After packing up camp while Rob gutted his deer, we decided to go straight down thru pure alders to the beach instead of following the ridge down and then busting thru the small amount of alders to the beach. It turned into a absolute nightmare and we reached the beach at 5:30, dark with the boat un able to come to the beach with us loosing water fast. We had to race down the beach of slimey rocks with our animals and gear to try and get into some deeper water for the boat. The captain wasn't real thrilled with the situation but at the last minute I was the last one to splash and jump aboard. All 4 of us were absolutly finished, we had nothing left in the tanks. Some of us cried ( not saying who...) because of both the hardship and the success. We weighted our packs the next moring. Mine was 88#'s, Robs was 65#s plus he dragged his deer all the way down, Kara's was 42#s and Kaylas was 47#s. Thanksgiving came around and we had an awesome dinner and played games. We hunted off and on thru out the week for deer but the bucks were high, real high(1600-2000'). Plenty of does and fawns on the beach and a few forks in between. Rob ended up hiking up and getting another beautiful 3 point deer. We will be back next year to go after those big bucks and I guess I owe Rob some help in bagging a goat in the future...

OH, and the bears are still out! We glassed a monster clear a snow field at 3800' while out on the boat. Also jumped one out of his bed at 400'. Found lots of fresh digs and poop.

Steve, you did a great write up. Thanks for sharing the awesome pictures. You've been Blessed with a great family. May the new year bring you and yours great adventures.

Steve,

Great write-up. Looks like you guys enjoyed your time aboard the ShelbyDee. Great pictures also. I can speak from experience that even as great as the pictures are, they do not do justice to the actual beauty you guys experienced on this trip. The beauty from the family experience as well as the physical beauty of the country you were in is awesome there.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast