Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

Thread: AKSCI Response to Anchorage AC Antlerless Moose

  1. #1
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,624

    Default AKSCI Response to Anchorage AC Antlerless Moose

    Alaska Chapter SCI
    PO Box 770511
    Eagle River, AK 99577
    (907) 980-9018

    November 30, 2014


    Dear Mr. Doner:

    I am writing as an Anchorage resident, avid outdoorsman, and president of the Alaska Chapter of Safari Club International (AKSCI). On behalf of SCI Alaska Chapter and myself I am writing over concerns raised by the November 28, 2014 article in the Alaska Dispatch News titled ďAnchorage Fish and Game Advisory Committee Cancels Local Moose HuntsĒ.

    Iím concerned about the effects this decision may have on our outdoor community as well as our communityís safety. Negative human-moose interactions in the Anchorage bowl are a serious problem. Motor vehicle accidents, encounters by recreationalists in our green belts, and encounters at our very residences are a serious matter. This is Alaska and a certain amount of wildlife interaction should be expected, but we should also support sound sustainable wildlife management practices to the greatest extent possible.

    Managing Anchorageís moose populations by providing antlerless hunts should be encouraged as long as it is sustainable. This is especially so when it provides desired recreational and subsistence opportunities for Alaska residents. Science, research, and the expertise of our local AKF&G biologists suggest that the continuation of antlerless moose hunts in the Anchorage bowl is not only sustainable, but is a great tool for managing our healthy Anchorage moose population.

    This decision will cancel several hunts, specifically for wounded veterans and hunts for restricted weapons. The restricted weapons hunts are a great opportunity for archery, muzzleloader, and shotgun enthusiasts to have a permit for their chosen weapon. Those opportunities promote archery and traditional weapons use, which is essential for their growth and perpetuation.

    I would like to thank you for discussing this issue with me and am interested in hearing more before a final decision is made. I would especially like to see the science, population surveys, and public testimony that back this decision. Iím encouraging all Alaska Chapter SCI members as well as the outdoor community to attend the December 2nd meeting at 6:30pm at the King Career Center to voice their concerns regarding this decision.

    Sincerely,


    Dr. Brett A. Barringer
    SCI AK Chapter President

    cc: Anchorage Advisory Committee Members

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Brett, how did the AC elections go in light of SCI's push to get members out to the election with their list of vetted candidates? Did the candidates that SCI supported get elected? If so, was their view of anterless hunts not part of the equation?

    Thanks for writing this letter. Let us know if and how the AC members respond.

  3. #3
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Brett, how did the AC elections go in light of SCI's push to get members out to the election with their list of vetted candidates? Did the candidates that SCI supported get elected? If so, was their view of anterless hunts not part of the equation?

    Thanks for writing this letter. Let us know if and how the AC members respond.
    Brian,

    The people we supported were elected. To be honest Iím not sure how much the antlerless issue was in the equation. As I stated in another thread we will be looking at revamping the recommendation/mobilization process for future Anchorage AC elections. I really think we need to do a better job vetting candidates as well as looking at other candidates and also mobilizing people to participate in the process in a thoughtful manner rather than mindless rubber stamping. I will be at the meeting tuesday and Iíve been told the AKF&G biologists will also be present. It should be informative.

    Brett

  4. #4
    Member dieNqvrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    486

    Default

    The rub is the ADFG doesn't have a good population estimate of moose for 14C. The AC board wanted more information to make a better, more informed decision other than"that's the way we've always done it", regarding number of permits to be issued.

    Accurate moose pop counts are prob low on ADFG list for 14 C, hence the fireworks.

    The hunt is not canceled yet, and prob won't be. The AC is one of the checks of the system to ensure sustainability. They just want ADFG to be honest with their information/survey results and adjust the tags accordingly.

    Look back in the forum posts and threads about these hunts. More tag winners have had and increasingly hard time filling them. Is it less moose, areas of higher moose density not being accessed due to closure, moose altering their habits and are not in hunt areas during the open seasons? These are what the AC is curious about before they just rubber stamp the same ol'.

    See you tomorrow for more of the fireworks show.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    The rub is the ADFG doesn't have a good population estimate of moose for 14C. The AC board wanted more information to make a better, more informed decision other than"that's the way we've always done it", regarding number of permits to be issued.
    If they wanted some more information, maybe the should have not told the biologist to stay away from their meeting as stated in the story. According to the report, he asked whether he should be there and was told to not bother. Seems if a group actually wanted more information, they would have asked those kinds of people to be there to explain it to them rather than tell them to stay home and make decisions about it uninformed.

  6. #6
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    The biologist will be there tomorrow, so I think it should be an informative evening.

    Brett

  7. #7
    Member dieNqvrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    According to the report, he asked whether he should be there and was told to not bother.
    He is actually a She. And she will be attending from what is been told as
    well.

    This story is meant to sell papers not tell the truth, it is what the media does, stir the pot.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrettAKSCI View Post
    Brian,

    The people we supported were elected. To be honest Iím not sure how much the antlerless issue was in the equation. As I stated in another thread we will be looking at revamping the recommendation/mobilization process for future Anchorage AC elections. I really think we need to do a better job vetting candidates as well as looking at other candidates and also mobilizing people to participate in the process in a thoughtful manner rather than mindless rubber stamping. I will be at the meeting tuesday and Iíve been told the AKF&G biologists will also be present. It should be informative.

    Brett
    From the outside, it appears Steve Flory develops the list of SCI approved candidates and gets them elected. I was told that the last bunch elected did not want to participate in any committees, they were there basically to keep other candidates from being elected. Makes sense they would back Flory on this when he got them elected. If you are serious about getting better candidates, perhaps you should disassociate your organization from Flory.

    I am curious how much consideration ADFG, BOF and BOG give to the Anchorage AC on most issues.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    He is actually a She. And she will be attending from what is been told as
    well.

    This story is meant to sell papers not tell the truth, it is what the media does, stir the pot.
    I'm glad they will be attending the next meeting. I was referring to the meeting the story was about, where Dave Battle, the Assistant Area Biologist was told not to attend. And unless Dave Battle got an operation, I believe HE is still a he.

  10. #10
    Member polardds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Never again will I blindly follow an SCI list again or recommendation. If I had known Flory was involved I would have voted for anyone who would get him out. I now know to question everything they may send my way. I really liked SCI, now I am even rethinking attending their February banquet.

  11. #11
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Never again will I blindly follow an SCI list again or recommendation. If I had known Flory was involved I would have voted for anyone who would get him out. I now know to question everything they may send my way. I really liked SCI, now I am even rethinking attending their February banquet.
    I wouldnít be throwing in the towel just yet. Steve Flory in no way pulls the strings at AKSCI.

    Brett

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Never again will I blindly follow an SCI list again or recommendation. If I had known Flory was involved I would have voted for anyone who would get him out. I now know to question everything they may send my way. I really liked SCI, now I am even rethinking attending their February banquet.
    Definitely an interesting situation worth noting how it plays out...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrettAKSCI View Post
    I wouldnít be throwing in the towel just yet. Steve Flory in no way pulls the strings at AKSCI.

    Brett
    Based in what I heard about the meeting last night AKSCI supported a bunch of candidates that aren't fit for the job. What do you plan to do differently next year?

  14. #14
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Apparently Neal DeWitt made a statement that he believes that cows should never be killed. Can you please comment on that?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    723

    Default

    SCI supporting non-trophy hunt?

  16. #16
    Member BakInAlaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Back in the State (MatSu Valley) and I ain't ever leaving!
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Just a quick update. I attended the Matanuska Valley Advisory Committee meeting that was held tonight. Since Fish and Game needs a majority of AC's to go in any direction, Matanuska Valley and Susitna AC's may decide the issue.

    The short answer is they felt it was a complex issue and voted to table the issue until the next meeting.
    Aside from that, there was some discussion on cow moose numbers and ratios of cows to bulls. Apparently, they are on the lower end of the population numbers but F&G stated they are comfortable at that level for various reasons. They also discussed being able to re-authorize hunts off cycle, or in a year if numbers change. F&G stated they have yet to fly population estimates since the lack of snow will not push them lower.

    I know I am missing some things but that is the quick and dirty of the meeting. There was only a couple of folks from the community present and I was kinda surprised by that since this hunt is literally in my back yard.

  17. #17
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Here is one man's take on what went down at this week's Anchorage AC meeting:

    http://www.adn.com/article/20141203/...ge-moose-hunts

  18. #18

    Default

    Here is a new story on KTUU that was just posted regarding the Tuesday night meeting.

    http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/anchor...limbo/30047762

  19. #19
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Apparently Neal DeWitt made a statement that he believes that cows should never be killed. Can you please comment on that?
    If you watch the KTUU video posted above you will see video of me testifying that personal opinion and ethics have no place in wildlife management and that the board should be listening to the biologists and ADF&G.

    Brett

  20. #20
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    The KTUU article was very fair and balanced in my opinion. This second ADN article posted above was pretty darn accurate for those that missed the meeting. Steve Flory tried to have a revote that would have required a 2/3 majority, but the chair and another member moved to table the vote for the next meeting. This move did prolong the question, but what they were very intelligently doing was changing the vote (via Robertís Rules) to a simple greater than 50% majority rather than the 2/3 majority vote Steve was pushing to have last night.

    Brett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •