Thread: Eagle River Kings (questions)

Default Eagle River Kings (questions)

Since we live in Eagle River, I thought it might be interesting to wet the line in our namesake for kings on the last session this weekend (open Sat-Mon, as I recall). Can anyone share insights on king fishing this river -- either this year or in past years? Never done it, but want to try. What are the expectations? Good sites along the open stretch? Tactics?

Will provide report when I'm done.

Best,
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

I know nothing about King Fishing, but read some info awhile ago. Seems that King Salmon haven't been stocked in Eagle River for quite awhile. This is causing the runs to be very small and the fishing poor. Remember I could be dead wrong, but I remember seeing this somewhere.

Believe you are pretty much on the money, Western. From what I've heard the Kings that run Eagle River are wild and not hatched. I've also been told it can be quite a bear if you land one with that very strong current it has. Especially when one decides to tear downstream, then you have a heck of fight on your hands and the risk of losing it increases. I've never fished it but the topic comes up every year at work regarding Eagle River.

I fished there twice years ago and never saw a fish. That's not saying others didn't but I didn't think they ever got a decent run established and I haven't heard anything for some time. Someone must know something but they might be keeping a secret as well.

Theres actually a fairly large run of kings in eagle river (hence its open) however with the limited timing and area to target them it is virtually impossible to catch them legally, especially because the run peaks in late june.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default eagle river kings

i have lived in eagle river my whole life and have know more then a few people who caught kings there. but they all put a lot of time in u coudl try but you would probaly have better luck fighting the crowds at ship creek or spending a little time and driving north to burma landing on the little su. trublutex had it right on the money.

Default A challenge

Gosh, this almost seems like a challenge to me now. As a life-long Eagle River resident, I'm almost embarressed that I haven't pulled a king from my hometown stream. I might take a break from working on the shed over the next few days and go soak some eggs (after checking the regs to make sure bait is legal, of course).

If I make it down there, I'll let you all know how it looked.

Default Never made it out...

The kings in Eagle River will have to wait another year to be scared of my meager attempts at stealing one. I had too much on my plate this weekend to make it down there. We did meet friends out at Burma Landing on the Little Su on Sunday. All of us totally struck out all afternoon -- didn't see a single fish caught among the crowds on the river (but the ADFG tally board at the entrance suggested it was a good day for some folks! Musta been those in boats...).

Hope someone fished Eagle River for me...!
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"