Thread: Hammock camping?

Default Hammock camping?

Anyone hammock camp during summer? I was told not to. Was told I'd freeze to death. I understand why not to in winter, but not summer or early fall.

Would be fine but you'd benefit from putting and air mattress of some sort between you and the hammock.

Your body weight will compress the sleeping bag under you, leading to less or no insulation, leading to cold nights.

But with an insulation layer, I don't see a problem other than summer insects.

Closed cell foam pad worked the best for me, helps keep the hammock open too.

I ended up getting eaten alive by skeeters though.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Can't sleep on my back, so wouldn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Would be fine but you'd benefit from putting and air mattress of some sort between you and the hammock.

Your body weight will compress the sleeping bag under you, leading to less or no insulation, leading to cold nights.

But with an insulation layer, I don't see a problem other than summer insects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Closed cell foam pad worked the best for me, helps keep the hammock open too.

I ended up getting eaten alive by skeeters though.

Those skeeters do concern me. But not as bad as the knats...man I hate those knats. I do have a bug net for hammocks though.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Can't sleep on my back, so wouldn't know.

I started doing the hammock thing after some back issues.

You're probably going to be cold, even in summer. (Ya ain't in Georgia no more, boy. LOL). As for the bugs, you're probably familiar with those Hennesy Jungle hammock tents. They have a niche following on the Appalachian Trail amongst thru hikers and section hikers. So that will wipe out your bug and rain problems. They sell them at the REI here in Anchorage (free delivery to store, and I'll pick it up and stick it in a flat rate box for you.)

http://www.rei.com/search?query=hamm...0zMA%253D%253D

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    You're probably going to be cold, even in summer. (Ya ain't in Georgia no more, boy. LOL). As for the bugs, you're probably familiar with those Hennesy Jungle hammock tents. They have a niche following on the Appalachian Trail amongst thru hikers and section hikers. So that will wipe out your bug and rain problems. They sell them at the REI here in Anchorage (free delivery to store, and I'll pick it up and stick it in a flat rate box for you.)

http://www.rei.com/search?query=hamm...0zMA%253D%253D
    I've thought about these in the past, but I think I really need to get another tent, or at least get a tent fly. I currently ise a kelty gunnison 2 tent and I love it. This fall, I noticed my fly's windows were both broken. I could possibly fix with some glue, but I usually don't use the fly. Got me to thinking about the hammock, since I already have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I've thought about these in the past, but I think I really need to get another tent, or at least get a tent fly. I currently ise a kelty gunnison 2 tent and I love it. This fall, I noticed my fly's windows were both broken. I could possibly fix with some glue, but I usually don't use the fly. Got me to thinking about the hammock, since I already have one.
    You're going to need bug protection of some sort.

Good luck fixing a tent. I've tried it a few times (usually waterproofing issues). Never seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    You're going to need bug protection of some sort.

Good luck fixing a tent. I've tried it a few times (usually waterproofing issues). Never seems to work.
    That is what I am afraid of. The actual tent is fine, but the fly, which is kind of needed up here with the weather, wasn't. I ended up using a tarp and placing tent under the tarp for the rain protection and that worked, but it isn't ideal.

I hammock camp down to about 20F with a underquilt and a down bag on top. I always stay warm until that 0300 pee trip happens then it takes awhile to get warmed up again. I sleep much better in a hammock than on my best ground bedding. Check out Hammock Forums for lots of good info...you'll get hooked once you get set up properly...as long as you have trees around.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.