Thread: Yentna River

Default Yentna River

Just wondering if anyone out there is thinking about making a run at the river this week as we got a little bit of snow out there. Any updates would be great. Thanks

From Deshka Landing's facebook "Well got the report from the Iron Doggers this morning... The two Su's are still very wet.. you have to pretend that your snow machine is a boat in other words.. a couple machines went swimming but every one and machines ended up getting out and getting dried out.. maybe a couple more weeks still".
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Just got back from the yentna. I would not go unless you know what you are doing there is a little water to go over and a number of slushy parts along the way. There is also a number of places where you have to work around open leads. Was better coming home today then when we went up on Saturday. Trail is rough but over all not too bad. The worst part is the mile or so before scary tree. I would not tow a sled up yet but should get better by next weekend. As long as it gets cold. The yentna will be great once we get another foot or more of snow.

Well I got word that a trail has been cut to get around the open leads and just has a couple shallow water crossings. I should get some good first information tonite as I am expecting a couple to come out today.

A word of caution is the trail is for well seasoned riders but Irondog experience not necessary. No river running rookies. With the warm up coming this week I hope it will all hold out there and they get snow.

Well just got my text on river conditions......trail is rough in places but overall pretty decent. There are a lot of open leads but the trail skirts them well. Need lots more snow and definately more cold weather. At this point no good news.

This report covers Deshka to Yentna Station with a couple of short side trips.

I just got back from a week at the cabin on the yentna. I hauled out my freight sled yesterday with a broken down machine on it and made it fine. There was a few places that had some over flow but the open water is frozen over. I would not haul any loads with weight but a bogan sled or just the machine would be fine. There is a number of open leads and not much for snow but you can get there. There was part of the yentna that was staked but had some warm weather and a number of them fell down. After we get some more snow it will be good but passable now if you know what you are doing and pay attention. Would not go in the dark yet as you need to be able to see a distance ahead to go around the open leads. I was up to lake creek and was not bad. Side slues are still open and some over flow if you have to access off of the main river. Be careful and have fun.

Any updates on the trail out to Luces's? I'd like to run to my cabin with the family Saturday. I'd like to tow my Otter Sled with a little fuel, propane bottle and a cooler. Please let me know if you've been out on the river and have anymore updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Branr1 View Post
    Any updates on the trail out to Luces's? I'd like to run to my cabin with the family Saturday. I'd like to tow my Otter Sled with a little fuel, propane bottle and a cooler. Please let me know if you've been out on the river and have anymore updates.
    Call Yentna Station (733-2746) for first hand info...these folks are running the river everyday or have folks stop in that have just run the river. Also they are going to be your best source for help out there if required. Coffee is always free.

I always call them when I ride the river and check in and out thru them. At least if something happens someone knows where to start looking for me.

Since marbs post a week ago conditions have not improved. Things have actually warmed a bunch over the last 48 hours.

Update for you in case you have not heard, from my River family.

"It has been snowing all day, with a couple of new inches. Trail reports are of a good trail, just a little dicey out of Deshka Landing. We hope everyone has a blessed Christmas with family and friends! Hope to see you out on the river soon!"

I will have some 1st hand reports maybe Sunday or Monday. Packed and ready to roll just not sure where we are going to find ourselves yet for the rest of the Holiday.

Well the family and I rode out to our cabin on Saturday and stayed the night. Our cabin is at about mile 9 of the Yentna. Sunday morning we rode to Yentna Station to say high and get a cup of coffee. The trail was in good shape with just a couple very short sections of overflow. My 8 year old son myself and my wife all thought the trail was good. On the way out this evening we passed a coulple of sleds pulling a groomer which made for a nice ride out.

Well the family and I rode out to our cabin on Saturday...............

Where did you take off from, deshka Landing? Did you take the corral hill trail to the big Su or did you hit the river right from Deshka Landing?

Thanks

Corral hill trail is recommended for now, especially with these warm temps again. Be Carefull out there, we need some cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on it yesterday. The river WAS fine. There was obviously horrible overflow earlier in the week, but it was all solid Sunday and Monday. I missed the turn to Skwentna Roadhouse, as usual. Don't do that. Upstream from the Skwentna/Yentna confluence it gets wet fast. My son and I were waterskipping the overflow above the confluence and after about 2 miles I found an island we popped up onto to consult the GPS. The big swamp behind Skwentna was fine as well. Shell Lake had some overflow, but was passible. There is quite a few areas with open water where I have never seen open water in 15 years of running the river. Pay attention. Other than that, we ran a solid 30-40 mph on the way back.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain joe View Post
    Where did you take off from, deshka Landing? Did you take the corral hill trail to the big Su or did you hit the river right from Deshka Landing?

Thanks
    We took off from Deska landing and went right down on to the river from the boat launch. Just at the end of the boat launch was the largest patch of overflow we encountered the whole trip. There were a few other spots but nothing major. My wife was driving our Yamaha Viking wide track and pulling a large Otter sled and she had no issues at all with the crossings.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like we have some cooler weather coming later this week that should improve the situation there. Hope to get out to the cabin next week.

If you friend "torkncindi" of Facebook you will find the best reports for the upper Yentna. The own the roadhouse.

Default This weekend

We took off from Deska landing and went right down on to the river from the boat launch. Just at the end of the boat launch was the largest patch of overflow we encountered the whole trip. There were a few other spots but nothing major. My wife was driving our Yamaha Viking wide track and pulling a large Otter sled and she had no issues at all with the crossings.
    I took same path this weekend, The overflow was all frozen. If you stick to the trail, follow the markers we had no problem at all .They did reroute it around the normal path, where east and west channel come together, I guess they call it the bluffs, couple miles down from the landing. That is still all Open water! You will head out and around to the right upstream little bit and out to west than back down. It was marked with X,ed stakes. One other spot today coming back 1/2 way to scary tree just above the short cut, the river did flow up on the ice, about 30 ft of wet crossing. Was pretty smooth though, pulling a trailer I was doing up to 40mph in some stretches. Some more snow would be nice, Lots of ice showing and could see where when it was soft, musta, been real wet .

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    I took same path this weekend, The overflow was all frozen. If you stick to the trail, follow the markers we had no problem at all .They did reroute it around the normal path, where east and west channel come together, I guess they call it the bluffs, couple miles down from the landing. That is still all Open water! You will head out and around to the right upstream little bit and out to west than back down. It was marked with X,ed stakes. One other spot today coming back 1/2 way to scary tree just above the short cut, the river did flow up on the ice, about 30 ft of wet crossing. Was pretty smooth though, pulling a trailer I was doing up to 40mph in some stretches. Some more snow would be nice, Lots of ice showing and could see where when it was soft, musta, been real wet .

Susitna AK, you do pretty good for an old man!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Susitna AK, you do pretty good for an old man!
    Ha, You got that right. Careful you just might catch up too me some day Wish i was ther in Hi. laying on the beach playing with my Mac, Nuts.
    Your not missing a thing , Strange warm year, There is still open water all over out there, and not much snow. Enjoy.

We just got back from 4 days at the cabin. The trail was pretty good. Near Luces there is a long stretch of overflow, other sledders have started a trail around it but please be aware of it. It was raining on the way out and we really need more snow.