Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 Ruger vs 338 Win Mag for AK

Default 375 Ruger vs 338 Win Mag for AK

375 Ruger or 338 Win Mag. If you could have one, which would choose? Other guns I have are 270 Wby, 416 Rem 45-70 and smaller calibers.

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    375 Ruger or 338 Win Mag. If you could have one, which would choose? Other guns I have are 270 Wby, 416 Rem 45-70 and smaller calibers.

Silver Tip
    If I was forced to choose between the 375 Ruger and the 338 WM, I would pick the 338-06, hands down.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I've had them both and liked them. I prefer the .375 over the .338WM. Where and what you hunt has more to do with your decision than just the numbers.

Hard to go wrong with either though.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Considering the cartridges that you have, I'd say it's a no-brainer for the .338 WM. In similar rifles, the .338 WM has significantly less recoil and improved external ballistics while also providing the bonus of cheaper and more varied components than the .375 Ruger. It's not a tough decision.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

When I picked up my .375h&h the Ruger was new enough I didn't want to take a chance on it since I didn't hand load at the time. They are so close I'll throw my comments out for what they cost you...

Having said that, I choose the .375 because of the thick brush here on the peninsula, I wanted the high energy, slow bullet. Recoil in my particular gun is hardly notable, it does weigh 10 lbs and I'm sure it's different in a lighter gun. My particular rifle ended up being very accurate and what I expected to be a 200 yard gun is really a legitimate 300 yard gun. The most obvious downside is ammo cost, I cut mine roughly in half once I started hand loading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my humble opinion, neither.Get a 375H&H...many options but personally I would vote for a Sako...and all the rest is froth on the kettle.

Sometimes, we try to improve on basics like water...vinegar...and olive oil.

Ain't gonna happen.

375 h&h. I have one in the Remington 700 xcr.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Considering your list, the 375 has too much in common with the 416 for my tastes, so I'd go with the 338. No dish against the 375 (either H&H or Ruger), but I toss the 416 into the same general league.

You will always be able to find .338 Win Mag ammo...

Sobie2

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<!

I'd have to go with the .338WM if only for the availability of ammo. If you reload it's a toss up...

I used to have both and if I was to get another, it would be the 338. For bullets, 225gr TSX or a Swift A-Frame for big bears.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<!
    I'm having a hard time with your answer, did you mean 22 hornet?
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Look at the picture the arrows are pointing at.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Note the wink.......

I haven't shot the 375 much, but I have a 338. It does a great job, throws a range of bullets, even during this last scare I could always find 338's on the shelf. It hurts on both ends, but in the past 8 years I've taken 4 moose, two bou, and 4 blacktails with mine. It pounds the big boys like you'd expect, but with a good bullet it doesn't tear the deer apart. I am very pleased and would only get another medium bore rifle if i could find a lever version that I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Look at the picture the arrows are pointing at.
    Sarcasm. Just one of the many things I serve hot and fresh daily.

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Considering your list, the 375 has too much in common with the 416 for my tastes, so I'd go with the 338. No dish against the 375 (either H&H or Ruger), but I toss the 416 into the same general league.
    Good point, I didn't notice the .416 on there, in that case is lean toward a .338 too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm. Just one of the many things I serve hot and fresh daily.
    I just missed he wink!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I hunt with both and have hunted with the .338 WM for many, many years. I've been shooting the .375 Ruger a lot lately and have carried it the last couple years. I hate to leave the .338 home because it was always my favorite rifle but now I really prefer the .375 Ruger. I'm shooting 270 gr. Barnes bullets and the accuracy is amazing. Recoil isn't bad if you fit the rifle with a good recoil pad. JMHO, but I love mine.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

The biggest difference is the 338 WM's factory ammo selection and the 375 Ruger's better stopping effect . . . so it just depends on what is more useful for your specific needs. To me, I prefer the overall benefits of having the 375's fatter 300 gr bullet going as fast as the 338's 250 gr bullet with only a negligible amount more powder, and doing it with a shorter barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast