Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet loads for .270 win for 100 grain Spire point?

Default Pet loads for .270 win for 100 grain Spire point?

Picked up a box of Hornady 100 grain boolits. Anyone got fast, accurate pet loads for this little guy?

Release Lake Trout

Start with WLR primers and 55 gr of IMR4350 . . . work up to 60 grains. You'll find something you like!

The current issue of Handloader has a load or two for you.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Planning to use that on wolves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Planning to use that on wolves?

that was my idea....But first I want to see how my ruger shoots them. I want a hot, fast, accurate load that won't blow up on impact.

Release Lake Trout

Which Ruger? I just picked up a stainless American in .270. I haven't shot it yet but I sure like how it handles, nice change from my 10lb. .375!

Which Ruger? I just picked up a stainless American in .270. I haven't shot it yet but I sure like how it handles, nice change from my 10lb. .375!

model 77 mark 2 stainless/ synthetic i picked up early this year for $300. i fitted it with a Leopold 3x9 vx2. I love it. It shoots 1/2" groups at 200 with 140 ABs.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    model 77 mark 2 stainless/ synthetic i picked up early this year for $300. i fitted it with a Leopold 3x9 vx2. I love it. It shoots 1/2" groups at 200 with 140 ABs.
    Wow what a steal! That's what I've been looking for for a couple years, finally gave up and bought the American after selling off a few guns that weren't getting used.

How come you aren't shooting that accubond load at wolves?

How come you aren't shooting that accubond load at wolves?
    This, the same bullet the likes of Murphy and Stid have referred to as the "AccuBOMB" for at least the past eight years...?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    This, the same bullet the likes of Murphy and Stid have referred to as the "AccuBOMB" for at least the past eight years...?
    I want a versatile round for varmints and wolves that won't blow them in half. I'm worried it'll turn em inside out. I figure a solid bullet would just punch thru em at those velocities? I recall shooting a fox once at 400 yards with a 150 grain e tip. There wasn't much point in taking it home :/

Release Lake Trout

I want a versatile round for varmints and wolves that won't blow them in half. I'm worried it'll turn em inside out. I figure a solid bullet would just punch thru em at those velocities? I recall shooting a fox once at 400 yards with a 150 grain e tip. There wasn't much point in taking it home :/
    Agreed. Not much of a fan of highly frangible cup and core bullets myself, for any application, regardless of brand or caliber. Personally, I'd rather go with a solid for fur. See plenty of guys here with more field fur experience than I, apparently making frangible rounds work just fine tho...
    #Resist

Thanks, don't take my question as criticism, pure curiosity.

I know a guy that shot a fox with a 300wm and Alpha wouldn't even tan it since it was almost in 2 pieces!

I wonder about a 110gr TTSX out of the 270? I've been carrying my .223 with 62gr TTSX in case I managed to call a wolf. I finally called a coyote in last year but I missed it so no report!

Thanks, don't take my question as criticism, pure curiosity.

I know a guy that shot a fox with a 300wm and Alpha wouldn't even tan it since it was almost in 2 pieces!

I wonder about a 110gr TTSX out of the 270? I've been carrying my .223 with 62gr TTSX in case I managed to call a wolf. I finally called a coyote in last year but I missed it so no report!

I had a chance for a great wolf last week. And failed. I didn't bring my rifle with me on that trip. Held it in hand before leaving home, was strongly considering bringing it, and alas, i thought to myself will i really need it? probly not. so it stayed home...... NEVER AGAIN! LESSON LEARNED! Was ice fishing a copper valley lake.... Camped out on the ice for 4 days. The 2nd morning I rode back to camp after early AM fishing at a spot aways off and, stepping back out of the tent to enjoy the early afternoon sun, I spotted movement on the lake. A wolf, dark in color, was running right up the very trail I had made only a few moments before! I figured the distance at 200-250 yards. **** IT ALL!!! No gun.... I watched him as he sniffed and trotted his way along. I felt a breeze on my neck, and then he froze, and looked and stared right at me. I haven't been sleeping well since.....I'm haunted by that missed opportunity.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Agreed. Not much of a fan of highly frangible cup and core bullets myself, for any application, regardless of brand or caliber. Personally, I'd rather go with a solid for fur. See plenty of guys here with more field fur experience than I, apparently making frangible rounds work just fine tho...
    And they may work fine. Perhaps I'm jus over thinking it, but I would rather not ruin fur if I have that choice.

Release Lake Trout

I had a chance for a great wolf last week. And failed. I didn't bring my rifle with me on that trip. Held it in hand before leaving home, was strongly considering bringing it, and alas, i thought to myself will i really need it? probly not. so it stayed home...... NEVER AGAIN! LESSON LEARNED! Was ice fishing a copper valley lake.... Camped out on the ice for 4 days. The 2nd morning I rode back to camp after early AM fishing at a spot aways off and, stepping back out of the tent to enjoy the early afternoon sun, I spotted movement on the lake. A wolf, dark in color, was running right up the very trail I had made only a few moments before! I figured the distance at 200-250 yards. **** IT ALL!!! No gun.... I watched him as he sniffed and trotted his way along. I felt a breeze on my neck, and then he froze, and looked and stared right at me. I haven't been sleeping well since.....I'm haunted by that missed opportunity.
    That's terrible! I have been carrying a rifle in the car on every trip I make through the mountains to Anchorage for about 6 years, two years ago I figure, screw it, I don't have room. Sure enough a furred up winter coyote sits an stares at me AFTER I stop and get out of the car. I figured if take a few shots with my 9mm. He let me get off the road before turning around and WALKING away. I never took a shot, he woulda been dead had I had a rifle!

That's terrible! I have been carrying a rifle in the car on every trip I make through the mountains to Anchorage for about 6 years, two years ago I figure, screw it, I don't have room. Sure enough a furred up winter coyote sits an stares at me AFTER I stop and get out of the car. I figured if take a few shots with my 9mm. He let me get off the road before turning around and WALKING away. I never took a shot, he woulda been dead had I had a rifle!

Crazy how that seems to happen huh!? It was indeed terrible. I keep running the scenario thru my head over and over..... What if? What if I had brought the gun? Well, I'll never leave the house again with out. My wife gave me a real " I told you so" talk haha. She had told me to take it, and like a idiot, I ignored her. Well she def was right haha.

Release Lake Trout

However, on the other hand , as bad as I wouldve liked to take him..... It's an experience that will forever stay with me. He was indeed a beautiful creature. And what good fortune for us to share that moment. He didn't even know I was there for a solid 3-4 minutes....and he didn't bolt away. He simply loped off, continuing his business like I didn't bother him the least. Afterward, I rode over and examined his tracks. Good sized, and a long stride. He had come from across the lake and probly knew I wasn't far off. Simply unforgettable experience. **** I love Alaska.

Release Lake Trout

Today I stopped by cabelas and picked up a copy of the complete reloading manual for .270. I like it. It gave me the info I needed and so much more. Can't believe I never got one before. Showed the 100 grain spire point and Varget seems to be a good match. They jus happened to have some in stock too. As well as .22 Cci mini mags. Perfect.

Release Lake Trout

Today I stopped by cabelas and picked up a copy of the complete reloading manual for .270. I like it. It gave me the info I needed and so much more. Can't believe I never got one before. Showed the 100 grain spire point and Varget seems to be a good match. They jus happened to have some in stock too. As well as .22 Cci mini mags. Perfect.
    Too bad you can't buy a lottery ticket!

What is that .270 manual you found?

It was just a small paperback manual titled " one book/ one caliber, the complete reloading manual for the .270 Winchester" It contains reloading data from all the major and some minor bullet and powder manufacturers. 1566 proven and tested loads. 60 different bullet designs and 58 different powders. It was $6. Likely the nest reloading manual for .270 I've found haha

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast