Thread: shipping taxidermy in freezing weather...

Default shipping taxidermy in freezing weather...

I will be shipping all of my taxidermy, sometime this winter, to the lower 48. We are moving to Washington and I either have the option of driving my truck down and putting what I have in the cab where it's warm or shipping it down where it will likely be in freezing conditions for who knows how long.

Is it harmful for taxidermy to be subjected to freezing temperatures? Anyone have any issues getting thru Canada with all the proper declarations and CITES permits?

RJ Simington is the sponsor of this forum, and I think he'd be an excellent person to discuss this with. He has shops in Fairbanks and Oregon, and he's familiar with the intricacies of transport.

Default shipping taxidermy in freezing weather...

Regardless of the temps, I won't let taxidermy out of my sight, everyone I know that has let mores take their taxidey has had something get "lost".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the mounts have been properly dried for more that 2 weeks ( all the moisture in any Glues or clays is gone) you wont have any problems.

Just make SURE that the ears are not going to hit anything that could jar them up against something.

I just drove the Alcan & Casiar a couple weeks ago. They are pretty rough all the way to distruction bay.

as for the Cites animals you WILL NOT be able to take them with you .

You MUST get a Cites EXPORT permit & after the 90 day application period for that , Then you Must aplly in advance for a Cites permit for intransit from Canada.

Believe me , its not worth the headache you are going to get from Canada customs.

If you donot have the Cites paperwork with you when you reach the Canada Customs , They will confiscate the mounts & give you a notice to appear in court.

We ship Lots of mounts in the winter from up here & have only one damaged & that was from a Fork lift.

But we also wrap & Strap Everything VERY WELL. All shoulder mounts are Screwed down in the boxes. Any Lifesizes we put special bracing on the bottom of all bases that are screwed to the crate as well as Arm Bar braceing to keep the upper part of the mount from moving.

Plus on any Lifesize bear that has to be laid on its back to ship, we put Extra padding on the top of the head & stretch wrap it in place Just in case the truck hits the brakes or a forklift hits the end hard.

I can give you the # of a trucking broker that we use to get it shipped cheaper than Linden or most of the others, just email me at protaxidermy@clearwire.net

You will probably end up with more damage with the mounts in the back seat than properly packed in a box or crate in the back of the truck. But as for freezing don't worry about that (((( The animals are already Dead) LOL

Hope that helps
    RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy ww.protaxidermy.com
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Regardless of the temps, I won't let taxidermy out of my sight, everyone I know that has let mores take their taxidey has had something get "lost".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've had movers pack and ship my mounts all over the U.S. (MI - AK, AK - Wash DC, DC - NC, NC - AK). Never had anything lost or damaged. Just make sure everything is crated...not just boxed.

Thanks guys for the input. Either way I was going to go, I was going to crate my shoulder mounts and birds. But I didn't realize getting CITES was that much work.

Well, looks like I'll be shipping them. I need to get going on building some crates.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Thanks guys for the input. Either way I was going to go, I was going to crate my shoulder mounts and birds. But I didn't realize getting CITES was that much work.

Well, looks like I'll be shipping them. I need to get going on building some crates.

Thanks

Check with the moving companies that do military moves, they often sell crates left over from shipments cheaper than you can build them and they are ready too go.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/