Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Deadman Lake, Alaska

  1. #1

    Thumbs up Deadman Lake, Alaska

    Hello Everyone, I would like to Introduce Us.My name is Dan and my Wife is Tammy. We purchased 10 Acres by dead man lake (800' West to be exact) We would like to have any input that you may have about the area from Building a off grid cabin to everyday living with Farm animals in that area, we both are trained in survival and have grown up in the rocky mountains of colorado and wyoming, this is our passion and our dream to move there and fall off the face of the earth.

  2. #2

    Default

    You are going to define the Deadman lake you are talking about as there are three (3 ) different ones ????

  3. #3

    Default

    66 miles west of Fairbanks,5 miles North of Tanana River.

  4. #4

    Default

    How big is the lake?

  5. #5
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Deadman's over a mile in diameter. About 25 minutes west of FAI. Has winter trail access too.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  6. #6
    Member mit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Hi Dan:

    This is Tim, if you want to fall off the face you really need to get farther out than Deadman.


    Here is more reading for you.

    http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ar-manley.html
    Tim

  7. #7
    Member mit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    702

    Default The easy way to get material in

    Tim

  8. #8
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    I hate to be that guy, but you'd do well to search through older posts in this forum as there is a wealth of info on building remote cabins. As far as raising farm animals in cold country, you'll likely find that the cost of keeping them fed and warm offset's the benefit of farm stock.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  9. #9
    Member mit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I hate to be that guy, but you'd do well to search through older posts in this forum as there is a wealth of info on building remote cabins. As far as raising farm animals in cold country, you'll likely find that the cost of keeping them fed and warm offset's the benefit of farm stock.
    I agree! But that is too short for the board...
    Tim

  10. #10

    Default

    what is your idea on traveling over the river when its frozen by snowmobile or by boat during thaw

  11. #11
    Member mit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DGilbert1973 View Post
    what is your idea on traveling over the river when its frozen by snowmobile or by boat during thaw
    I flew out on Sunday there are still open spots in the river and I did not see any tracks on it yet. Usually by this time it is safe but I'm a bit Leary this year because of the high water this summer and the lack of cold so far this winter. Every year is different. Boats after the ice is gone!
    Tim

  12. #12
    Member mit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    About 25 minutes west of FAI.
    That depends on what kind of airplane you are flying!
    Tim

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DGilbert1973 View Post
    what is your idea on traveling over the river when its frozen by snowmobile or by boat during thaw
    Make sure it is frozen. Stay on trail. This is my third year in the bush. I didn't go out on the river until last year. This year I started to go out last weekend, but to many holes for me. Matter of fact there were three guys that went in down river (might have been kuskokwim though). Tracks were followed. Right into the hole. Sucks. During breakup or spring time, it gets dangerous. You really need to know the river. Kno,w where the sandbars are.

  14. #14
    Member Music Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Make sure it is frozen. Stay on trail. This is my third year in the bush. I didn't go out on the river until last year. This year I started to go out last weekend, but to many holes for me. Matter of fact there were three guys that went in down river (might have been kuskokwim though). Tracks were followed. Right into the hole. Sucks. During breakup or spring time, it gets dangerous. You really need to know the river. Kno,w where the sandbars are.
    The report is that they were drunk and it was at night, they were told not to go, cant fix stupid.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    The report is that they were drunk and it was at night, they were told not to go, cant fix stupid.
    I'd heard there was probably drinking involved.

  16. #16

    Default

    I know that its going to be ruff, but i think i have a better chance to survive up there then i would here in the lower 48 states,i think things are fixin to get really rough down here, my biggest hurdle right now is figuring out how to transport everything up river to home sight, im hopeing that the river is big enough to have smaller barges on, but this will take more investigating, i think it will be a while before i have learned alot of your ways up there, so if finances permit , i think we will come up to visit the area and see what is needed, for transport, living, etc. We have almost everything that we need but i will double check everything twice to be on safe side.

  17. #17

    Default

    well i read the other sight u sent me , i think my choice was a good one on the lots i bought, cant wait to meet everyone up there

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DGilbert1973 View Post
    I know that its going to be ruff, but i think i have a better chance to survive up there then i would here in the lower 48 states,i think things are fixin to get really rough down here, my biggest hurdle right now is figuring out how to transport everything up river to home sight, im hopeing that the river is big enough to have smaller barges on, but this will take more investigating, i think it will be a while before i have learned alot of your ways up there, so if finances permit , i think we will come up to visit the area and see what is needed, for transport, living, etc. We have almost everything that we need but i will double check everything twice to be on safe side.
    I'll be honest. If it gets rough down there, it is going to get rougher up here. I looked into farming. It wasn't worth it. At least not remote farming.

  19. #19
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Dan, my best advise is; don't burn any bridges, make sure you have lots of money, a return ticket, and a plan-B. I don't mean to be discouraging, but it's entirely possible that you'll realize this is not necessarily the land of milk and honey, and "falling off the face of the earth" isn't what it's imagined to be.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  20. #20
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    That is awesome, it surprised me that he had no problems.
    JOHN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •