Thread: Yukon River near Eagle,AK ?

Default Yukon River near Eagle,AK ?

Has anybody hunted this area for moose, down river from Eagle ? I understand it is 168 miles to Circle, and would think there would be some decent opportunities to take a moose.........any info would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SANDRAT View Post
    Has anybody hunted this area for moose, down river from Eagle ? I understand it is 168 miles to Circle, and would think there would be some decent opportunities to take a moose.........any info would be helpful.
    Mark has (bushrat). PM him.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Very low moose numbers between Circle and Eagle...

I hunted the Yukon downriver from Eagle. Hard for 6 days. Saw and killed the one and only moose we saw.

160 or so miles of river that lends it-self to power boats and lots of them. That is not to say there are not Moose in the area just that limited time to hunt 160 plus miles effectively. Research specific areas within those miles and you stand a better chance. The only real wisdom is don't expect a once in a life time hunt you might be better off if you pick a specific drainage and concentrate on that are within the miles you must travel however please not it is not an area that is not hunted by several groups already.

Best of Luck

RMM

Very low moose density as stated above coupled with LOTS of boat traffic and hunters. We hunted from Circle to the Kandik for two weeks and didn't see anything, there were a group of hunters staying at Slavens cabin for pretty much the whole month of September and They saw 0 moose.......not even a cow lol. From what I know only two bulls were taken up that way last season ( Circle to the Kandik )
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

On our way upriver we saw 3 sets of antlers coming down. Adding ours and that made 4 that I know of. Not too good. Habitat looks great for moose. Just none there. Too many predators I guess. Though we didn't see any of those either. Heard wolves and saw their tracks as well as bear tracks. Lots of them. I'm glad I hunted it though I'll probably save my gas money and go somewhere else next time.

You guys ever make it up past Eagle on the Yukon moose or bear hunting? How much is that native land?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You guys ever make it up past Eagle on the Yukon moose or bear hunting? How much is that native land?

It's only a few miles to Canada.