Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No more JBER moose hunts until 2019?

Default No more JBER moose hunts until 2019?

Someone please tell me this is a cruel joke... The Anchorage Advisory Committee cant be this stupid.

http://www.adn.com/article/20141128/...al-moose-hunts

Glad I did not put in for permits yet
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Gotta wonder about a regulatory system which encourages wildlife management by irrational emotionalism and personal agenda, rather than sound biological science.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Gotta wonder about a regulatory system which encourages wildlife management by irrational emotionalism and personal agenda, rather than sound biological science.
    Exactly what the US Fish & Wildlife does as well but you forgot to include political gain. Just look at the Zimbabwe and Tanzania Trophy Elephant import ban which was based on a magazine article. There was zero science involved.

Wow. What an utterly disappointing move on the part of the Anchorage AC.

Disappointing for sure. This was a great opportunity for disabled veteran hunters. I think the separate permit allocation for them was a great idea a few years back when they changed it.

Maybe they cancelled it to give all those bears they won't let anyone hunt more food to chase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang I just applied for one last night. How can they not refund the money, that's fraud in my opinion!!

Yes indeed, taiga, certainly disappointing to see the people who own the resource be able to participate in the process! Alaska is blessed with bountiful f and g bios who are not swayed by their own personal agenda. Sit back gents and let the experts create the bounty of wildlife we are sure to have if we just trust them.
    You folks got what you deserved! How many attended the meeting? But hark to your phones gent. Cal or text the AC members and let them know your unhappiness! The utopian world Taiga wishes for does not exist yet and you still have a voice. You just have to be sure it is heard!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Seems like they could figure things out BEFORE the application period begins, not during...or after...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Yes indeed, taiga, certainly disappointing to see the people who own the resource be able to participate in the process! Alaska is blessed with bountiful f and g bios who are not swayed by their own personal agenda. Sit back gents and let the experts create the bounty of wildlife we are sure to have if we just trust them.
    You folks got what you deserved! How many attended the meeting? But hark to your phones gent. Cal or text the AC members and let them know your unhappiness! The utopian world Taiga wishes for does not exist yet and you still have a voice. You just have to be sure it is heard!
    There's a big difference between being able to participate in the process, and having the process controlled and the final decision made by a group who's role is supposed to be advisory. When a small group of opinion/special interest/agenda driven individuals have veto power over the professional biologists; when they can tell the biologist "no thanks, we're not interested in your input", and make the final management decision based on politics, there's something broken. It shouldn't matter if a single person shows up at a meeting to voice his/her opinion. Final biological management decisions shouldn't be determined by ballot box.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

from what I got from the article, only antlerless hunts were cancelled. Also that the vote "could" be rescinded by the Valley AC's or reconsidered by the Anch AC at its December meeting. Just like MT stated - work the phones and get it changed.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    The utopian world Taiga wishes for does not exist yet and you still have a voice.
    Not sure what you think is "utopian" about the concept of hiring a biologist to do a job, and then allowing that biologist to do his/her job without interference from a bunch of special interest yahoos(?).
    #Resist

Not sure what you think is "utopian" about the concept of hiring a biologist to do a job, and then allowing that biologist to do his/her job without interference from a bunch of special interest yahoos(?).
    A utopian world would be where WE, the people who OWN the resource, really could just hire some educated guy/girl and really get unbiased management of our resources. Unfortunately, even the "educated" guys and gals have their own special interests. The "yahoos" you speak of are US..........the ones who own the resource.
    All of us who are interested in our resources have the opportunity to participate in it's "management". if we fail to participate, we allow others to make decisions for us. Each of us has a right to view the management of our resources as we see fit. The people who participated in that AC meeting VOLUNTEERED their time to do so. They are no more of a "special interest yahoo" than YOU are Taiga! They just take the time to actually PARTICIPATE, and not just snipe from behind a goofy image on an internet forum!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

It sure would have been nice if they added what hunt numbers are being deleted. Would it be best to call F&G and get those?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Default All you need to know about this decision is in this quote:

"Doner said the person who made the motion was Steve Flory, who has long opposed antlerless hunts in the Anchorage area. "

I'm solidly behind martentrapper on this one point. For years now, I (and others) have posted info about the Anchorage Advisory Committee election meetings, and those email alerts certain groups send out advising a big turnout in order to only support the candidates they endorse. For years now I have asked hunters here to get more involved.

I know, you're busy, you have a job and a wife and kids and time is just too short. I get that. But, the system is such that any AC in the more populated areas can be overtaken by a group with an agenda. The last time this happened it was the MatSu AC I believe, threatening to not authorize antlerless hunts. Unless all potlatch hunts were canceled.

This has also happened in Fairbanks, with ACs basically trying to make deals with F&G and BOG. "We'll authorize antlerless hunt if we get X."

The system as it now stands though requires multiple ACs to vote against antlerless hunts for it to pass. All this is now from Anch. AC is a threat.

So...if enough folks show up at their next Dec 2nd meeting (hint, hint, which is on Tuesday!)...maybe they can sway the vote. Same goes for the Mat-Su AC, cuz they would have to vote with Anch. as well. Tell them you want these hunts to continue!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    "Doner said the person who made the motion was Steve Flory, who has long opposed antlerless hunts in the Anchorage area. "

I'm solidly behind martentrapper on this one point. For years now, I (and others) have posted info about the Anchorage Advisory Committee election meetings, and those email alerts certain groups send out advising a big turnout in order to only support the candidates they endorse. For years now I have asked hunters here to get more involved.

I know, you're busy, you have a job and a wife and kids and time is just too short. I get that. But, the system is such that any AC in the more populated areas can be overtaken by a group with an agenda. The last time this happened it was the MatSu AC I believe, threatening to not authorize antlerless hunts. Unless all potlatch hunts were canceled.

This has also happened in Fairbanks, with ACs basically trying to make deals with F&G and BOG. "We'll authorize antlerless hunt if we get X."

The system as it now stands though requires multiple ACs to vote against antlerless hunts for it to pass. All this is now from Anch. AC is a threat.

So...if enough folks show up at their next Dec 2nd meeting (hint, hint, which is on Tuesday!)...maybe they can sway the vote. Same goes for the Mat-Su AC, cuz they would have to vote with Anch. as well. Tell them you want these hunts to continue!

Well they got it passed it in fairbanks Mark, What was the X that they bargined for?

This is ridiculous. I'm sending this article to all my friends who put in for tags in 14C. Hopefully the other Area ACs will push these through. So is this all antlerless hunts in 14C? So the bull tags won't be impacted?

When a small group of opinion/special interest/agenda driven individuals have veto power over the professional biologists; when they can tell the biologist "no thanks, we're not interested in your input", and make the final management decision based on politics, there's something broken.
    I know you were talking about AC's, but this statement perfectly describes the BOG/BOF as well.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Amen brother.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I've served on my local AC for several years. Not a single person on the committee is a "special interest yahoo". They are a group of people who volunteer their time to sift through the hundreds of ridiculous "special interest" proposals, deal with never-ending access issues, and work to the benefit of the resource and the hunting public.

It's truly a process you should participate in.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast