Thread: Kuiu Gear & Backorders

Default Kuiu Gear & Backorders

I wanted to alert everyone about a recent problem with Kuiu. First, let me say, I love their gear. The quality and function are not in question. What is in question is the fact they have outgrown their business plan.

Joyce ordered some Chugach Rain gear including the jacket, pants, and gaiters on August 24th. The jacket and gaiters were sent out and the pants are backordered. We have patiently waited for an email outlining the expected shipping date for the pants and had received none.

On November 22nd I sent an email asking if the pants were ever going to be sent. A robo reply came back from customer service stating they were very busy and would reply in 1-3 days. On Day 4 (November 26) I sent another email. In the email I outlined how much I liked their gear and how their business has grown by word of mouth and could suffer from the same word of mouth.

I received a detailed email today outlining their problem.....

"It's absolutely your choice on whether or not to stick out the waiting game for your backordered item(s). The rapid growth we have experienced over the past few years has been far beyond what was ever expected, and we are doing our best to coordinate ways to get ahead of demand."

We will likely wait for the pants at this point but I couldn't help wondering what happens to those that are buying last minute gear for a hunt.

The other disturbing fact for me is that I have received mailers and emails from KUIU continuing to advertise these products, including the Chugach pants, for sale at 25% off.

I just wanted to warn everyone of this issue.

Cheers
    Jim (and Joyce)

Kuiu's had supply issues almost since day one. They changed manufacturing from Canada over to Asia to increase supply well over a year ago. I think it helped a little but they've still yet to figure out how to keep the supply coming to the consumer. I had a pair of Yukon pants back ordered last summer. They were supposed to be available in 2-3 months but took closer to 5 months to get. Kuiu's been using the "unexpected growth" response for a couple of years. If you want something that isn't in stock you should order now if you want it by spring.

Well, buying last minute gear is a bit dicey if it is for something you really need for the hunt. Back-ordered gear for last minute?... forget about it. No telling! Was interested in a GoLite SL5's mid-June of this past summer but online store said they had run out . Called to see when they'd be restocked and the guy said usually get tent shipment mid-July. I signed up for the email notification but never got one... we all know why they didn't get a new order of tents...

As far as Kuiu goes:
    I was about out the door to ferry/drive north on a sheep hunt and thought - what the heck, better get one of those fancy Icon Packs since they'd gone on sale. I had gotten things from Kuiu in very quick fashion (5 days from shipping conf to delivery in Juneau - on the standard shipping) in the past so I figured if I sent it ahead to a buddy in Delta Junction. It ended up getting there about the day after I had to hunt (true 7 day shipping).

I chanced it because it was a replacement/potential upgrade. The backpack i already had worked fine, was just 5200 instead of 7200. Would I order boots July 25th and hope to climb a deer mountain Aug 1st? Eh. not if all i had to fall back on were my croc's!

Other Kuiu customer support interactions: A couple Christmas's ago my dad bought me a quarter-zip wool in some really light color and a little snug. I called and asked if they could change me from Large to XL and they said no prob, what color is it. I said Brindle (think that was the color) and they went and looked and informed me that they no longer carried that color for the quarter-zip but I wasnt to attached to the color anyway so it was fine. I sent back mine and they shipped the new one for a direct exchange, even though my dad had bought one that was on-sale.

I've been pleased with them so far, too bad about the Chugach pants - did you buy before Chugach 2.0 came out? They didn't change the name of the pant in the catolog, but they are def different than the original. That might be the issue- new chugach has new computer code and the ones you bought have old code that says not in stock, but there are obviously no plans to reorder the old version so your order is in computer limbo? Maybe call and ask in a couple days after things have slowed down? I'm sure with all the sales they've been having the staff has been pretty busy.

Maybe time to update business plan or modify around high-volume times to accommodate all new orders while still working on filling existing/backorders.

Good luck!

So I guess their demand is high enough supply can't keep up. Good on em for making a product that's so good it gets that high of demand. Says alot about quality of product. I too have back ordered stuff there so I'm not oblivios to the concerns.
    I/We always wonder about first posts

I've found with Kuiu, just keep looking at the site and buy it as soon as it becomes available, also you can subscribe into their inner circle, which gives you heads up when stuff will be in stock. At least it used to, I haven't bought anything from Kuiu since they switched to made in china so I haven't been paying much attention. All my Canadian made stuff has lasted me. I am interested in that tiberon t shirt though, and need to order some of those new gloves they have.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

As far as "first posts" I've lurked for quite a while. I post on another forum regularly and really didn't want to end up becoming a regular on another. Cal Pappas asked me to make the post after I put the same information on the Alaska section of the other forums I went through the trouble to get a log on which now has to be done via emails with admin.

I guess maybe I should have just posted a bunch of emticons on other poster's threads to get my thread count up eh? It wouldn't have changed the message any.

Cheers
    Jim Wojciehowski, BTW that's a real name AK-HUNT

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    So I guess their demand is high enough supply can't keep up. Good on em for making a product that's so good it gets that high of demand. Says alot about quality of product. I too have back ordered stuff there so I'm not oblivios to the concerns.
    I/We always wonder about first posts

Quote Originally Posted by AKFrostbit View Post
    As far as "first posts" I've lurked for quite a while. I post on another forum regularly and really didn't want to end up becoming a regular on another. Cal Pappas asked me to make the post after I put the same information on the Alaska section of the other forums I went through the trouble to get a log on which now has to be done via emails with admin.

I guess maybe I should have just posted a bunch of emticons on other poster's threads to get my thread count up eh? It wouldn't have changed the message any.

Cheers
    Some 1st posts are better than some 5000ths. And maybe add an LOL or 2!

No offense intended jim- seem to remember more than a couple times when first post is negative toward a company there often a hidden agenda or more to the story somehow. Honest question not personal attack. Thanks for elaborating. Guess that's what I was wondering. (IE. do I think about MY long back order too or is there more to it)
    Don't know about emoticons or name thing.
    BTW -they had several diff Chugach pant in stock few days ago. May be worth a look....
    Take care
    Kevin Asher

Quote Originally Posted by AKFrostbit View Post

Cheers

Interesting stuff. I imagine they're pretty slammed Nov 20 on, but August?

I don't like that they basically came off like you were being impatient when you waited months to contact them.

I recently ordered something from Eagle Grips. I got an email from a real person the next day that the part I ordered was on back order and trying to figure out if I needed it for Christmas. The also inquired if I'd like something with different options. I responded and then a real person wrote me back again. I was really impressed with that.

Having good gear is one thing, but when you pay a lot for something you expect service as well. A lot fewer people would probably buy Mercedes if the dealer told you to jump in a lake when you tried to buy a car.

I've been waiting since sept. 24th for a warranty replacement on my Yukon jacket. Since then I have bought, used, and destroyed two "lesser quality" rain jackets. Not impressed with kuiu on the business side, right now.

On the other hand, I made an order with Dillon recently for some dies. Order on 11/17. Expected delivery 12/2. Shipping $31! For a package about the size of a TV dinner! Two weeks to get it here. What's that about?

$31, it makes me wonder if some companies have ever heard of those flat rate boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    On the other hand, I made an order with Dillon recently for some dies. Order on 11/17. Expected delivery 12/2. Shipping $31! For a package about the size of a TV dinner! Two weeks to get it here. What's that about?

Just got a call from Kuiu that my backordered gear (shirts) is in and shipping today. Best of luck to any others that also had backorders.

UPDATE!!

Got an email today saying that the pants ordered August 24th are now in stock and will ship as soon as we again give them a payment method.

In the email received 12/29/2014 there was a paragraph bolded in yellow that said the order would only be help until 12/06/14 and if the transaction was not completed by then the deal was off.

Five minutes later a second email came in with a new bolded area with a drop dead date of January 6th.

We like their gear. I completed the order.

Cheers
    Jim

Got my jacket today guide in verde waiting on the pants, also ordered a beanie and the merino shirt in their mid weight, going to try it this year hunting.
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

Finally got my Yukon that I sent to them on sept 24th, on dec. 22nd...... Wow.

Pants arrived today, ordered 8/24/14

Outrageous...P.T. Barnum was right....
    Proud to be an American!