Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B-29 wreck site

Default B-29 wreck site

anyone been out to the B-29 wreck site is there any good mud holes on the way we are going sat. hopefully.

Horrible ride when it has rained. You should be ok. Truck club put up a plaque at the site. Trail can be STEEP at one point. Have fun!

Where is this located? Hadn't heard of this one..Eric

My guess is they are talking about up Baldy.

I've been up there about a dozen times but never found the crash site. its a bit scary going by yourself the top is full of nasty holes with nothing around to winch to.

Mark

The Bald Mtn. wreck might be accessible by atv. There's another in the Talkeetnas behind one of the Hatcher Pass mines that is walk/crawl/climb only.

I haven't been to either, but I know someone who has been to both.

Is this the wreck that contained the military payroll? I heard there are guards posted there to deter looters. It would be interesting to see some part of the wreck though.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Is this the wreck that contained the military payroll?.....
    No. I think that was an urban legend, and I also think that plane went down in the Wrangells.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    No. I think that was an urban legend, and I also think that plane went down in the Wrangells.
    Church Road thru Wasilla on the right just past Spenard Builders Supply, It has been 6-7 yers now, but I think you go down Church , take a right and there's a spot to your left (I do no not know how far down) to park. Used to be an old travel trailer there.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    Church Road thru Wasilla on the right just past Spenard Builders Supply, It has been 6-7 yers now, but I think you go down Church , take a right and there's a spot to your left (I do no not know how far down) to park. Used to be an old travel trailer there.
    Sikes Trail.

Yeah, there's a B-29 wreck up on Baldy, but what I meant was that there was another military plane wreck in the Wrangells, and it was rumored to have gold or payroll on it. I think the gold/money story is BS.

An RC-135 went down in the Wrangells in the late 80's or early 90's. That's a "spy" plane loaded with listening gear. The Air Force put up a motivated search for it. They even brought an SR-71 Blackbird up to photo the area. The Blackbird landed and took off from Elmendorf at night.

No gold, no money. But they were still highly motivated.

Default Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sikes Trail.

Yeah, there's a B-29 wreck up on Baldy, but what I meant was that there was another military plane wreck in the Wrangells, and it was rumored to have gold or payroll on it. I think the gold/money story is BS.

An RC-135 went down in the Wrangells in the late 80's or early 90's. That's a "spy" plane loaded with listening gear. The Air Force put up a motivated search for it. They even brought an SR-71 Blackbird up to photo the area. The Blackbird landed and took off from Elmendorf at night.

No gold, no money. But they were still highly motivated.
    Nice to hear the real story. As I heard it, it was a KC 135 Tanker and the SR71 took off from a base in Calif. and made a banking turn over Valdez, during the search phase. It returned to Calif. without landing or refueling. Was told that Elmendorf did not have the capability to refuel it. Those things leak more fuel than they burn, until they are to cruise speed and altitude. The leaks were purposefully designed in them, to allow for expansion due to heat of the fuselage <read the whole thing was a fuel tank> absent the cockpit. Using infrared and sonar, they did find the crash site location. The sonic boom caused by the steep turn broke a few windows in Eagle River and I do know that part was correct. heh heh.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    ....The sonic boom caused by the steep turn broke a few windows in Eagle River and I do know that part was correct. heh heh.
    The ADN reported on the double sonic boom. I guess they had to, because lots of folks would wonder what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaRotax View Post
    I've been up there about a dozen times but never found the crash site. its a bit scary going by yourself the top is full of nasty holes with nothing around to winch to.
    well we made it. You have go all the way to the tower(getting thru the the bogs are fun) at the top then look from there and you will see the other trail good ride even if i did limp out( lost a valve stem rt rear tire in a mud hole)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
    well we made it. You have go all the way to the tower(getting thru the the bogs are fun) at the top then look from there and you will see the other trail good ride even if i did limp out( lost a valve stem rt rear tire in a mud hole)
    Thanks, I've been to the tower, but didn't notice a trail probably didn't look hard enough. I was by yself and scared to death of getting stuck there is nothing out there to winch on. That watery grass field before the tower is something else.

I tried to find it on Google Earth, but there is a BIG cloud right where the crash is... I attached the GE photo for your viewing pleasure...

Anyway, when you crest the last big (steep) hill before the top, you can see the wreck in the bowl to the N/E just down from the top. I haven't been to it on wheelers, but have a few times by snowmachine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Directions?

So, how does one find this wreck? Sounds like a fun winter project!

Default Directions....

Ok, take Church road (North end of Wasilla off of the Parks hwy.) to the end where it "T's" with Schrock. Turn left (West) on Schrock and go till you cross the Little Su bridge. Just past the bridge, take the next right (more of a "Y" intersection) and follow it around till it "T's" again and turn right. The trail head (unmarked) is on the left side of the road. Parking is in the widened out ditch area.

The trail is more like a road for the first several miles, but gets more technical as you start climbing. Just stay on the main trail and head up the hill. When you crest the last BIG hill prior to the top of the mountain, you will be able to see the wreck (with binoculars) near the top of the bowl to the East. There is a radio tower near there which may help you figure out where to look.

Continue to drive up the trail till you crest the top of Baldy. Take the trail you see branching off toward the radio tower and you can work your way to the wreckage from there.

Hope that made sense!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Last year I accompanied 5 people who had fathers and grandfathers die in that crash. It was a rather emotional event.

I ask that you respect the site and do not take momentos.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Ok, take Church road (North end of Wasilla off of the Parks hwy.) to the end where it "T's" with Schrock. Turn left (West) on Schrock and go till you cross the Little Su bridge. Just past the bridge, take the next right (more of a "Y" intersection) and follow it around till it "T's" again and turn right. The trail head (unmarked) is on the left side of the road. Parking is in the widened out ditch area.

The trail is more like a road for the first several miles, but gets more technical as you start climbing. Just stay on the main trail and head up the hill. When you crest the last BIG hill prior to the top of the mountain, you will be able to see the wreck (with binoculars) near the top of the bowl to the East. There is a radio tower near there which may help you figure out where to look.

Continue to drive up the trail till you crest the top of Baldy. Take the trail you see branching off toward the radio tower and you can work your way to the wreckage from there.

Hope that made sense!
    I know this particular thread is fairly dead at this point, but can someone help me here? I have been up 5 different trips in the past week, but I can't seem to find where you are referring to. We came straight up the trail from the trail head, followed it to the right after the creek, up the steep muddy part where there are three different trails, and went all the way to the end of the trail there, but no area that looks like all the pictures I see.

Hope this helps B29.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast