Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough Start in IL!

Default Rough Start in IL!

Well, took today off to set some steel and got 44 DP coon sets in and 12 coyote/fox sets in as the snow started and now we have about 2 inches on the ground - Uggg! Coons do not move much in snow but for the coyote line it may be a plus as I usually do good after a fresh snow! Supposed to be mid 20s tomorrow then upper 40's next few days so coon line will produce a bit later but it will be a muddy mess next few days... I will post some pics as they come...

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Good luck, can't wait to see the pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not going to get much sympathy from a lot of us if you're complaining about snow. I've got a hint of white on my lawn, but it's still mostly green.

Good luck to you, but quit yer whining about the snow. I'd trade places in a heartbeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You're not going to get much sympathy from a lot of us if you're complaining about snow. I've got a hint of white on my lawn, but it's still mostly green.

Good luck to you, but quit yer whining about the snow. I'd trade places in a heartbeat!
    Howdee Brian, I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving sir! Don't get me wrong I LOVE snow and cold, but, I need 1 good warm week above freezing to score on some coons before they go into hibernation! And, I caught exactly what I expected ZERO! After a day of putting in sets it was a bust - even the coyote sets were messed up. I did have a nice red furball on one set though - a tomcat that made a mistake getting into a MB650... My yellow lab didn't mind though getting to run in the snow checking sets... 14 degrees here tonight so no coons again tomorrow - hoping I get lucky on a coyote to make the 32 mile trapline run at least a little rewarding!
    Went with the wife to Wally World tonight for a Black Friday experience - NEVER again for this country boy no matter how good the deals are! Good Grief what a hoot watching the people fight over stuff....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Howdee Brian, I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving sir! Don't get me wrong I LOVE snow and cold, but, I need 1 good warm week above freezing to score on some coons before they go into hibernation! And, I caught exactly what I expected ZERO! After a day of putting in sets it was a bust - even the coyote sets were messed up. I did have a nice red furball on one set though - a tomcat that made a mistake getting into a MB650... My yellow lab didn't mind though getting to run in the snow checking sets... 14 degrees here tonight so no coons again tomorrow - hoping I get lucky on a coyote to make the 32 mile trapline run at least a little rewarding!
    Went with the wife to Wally World tonight for a Black Friday experience - NEVER again for this country boy no matter how good the deals are! Good Grief what a hoot watching the people fight over stuff....
    Ha ha ha, your crazy, I enjoyed the Seahawks beating up the 49ers, no Walmart people tonight!

Did get 3 ermine boxes walked in today before one of dogs ran off and I had to go find her. Might try and walk in some muskrat traps Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokey, looking forward to the pictures! Hope you do some hurtin' on that coyote population!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Well, luck shined on us today as our second stop on my farm held a double! Caught male in first set and about 200 yards up the lane at the opposite end of the grass strip was one of his sisters! I had a trail cam on the second one but it was set just a bit high and all we got were ears jumping around. There appeared to be at least one more in the pack and maybe more from all the tracks circling the caught ones. Thankfully both sets had waxed dirt as there was a frozen crust on all our sets and the waxed dirt repelled enough water to let them remain working.. Callie gave the female coyote her 2 cents worth when it growled at her - girls - GEEZ!

Photobucket and I are working on getting these pics downsized folks so bear with us!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coyote1 2014.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	82111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coyote 2 2014.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	82112

Nice looking dogs...both of them!

I've never trapped and know very little about it. But if I might ask, where is the most popular spot to place the kill shot? Does it vary from animal to animal?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Nice looking dogs...both of them!

I've never trapped and know very little about it. But if I might ask, where is the most popular spot to place the kill shot? Does it vary from animal to animal?
    Good Day 4mer,
    Well I have tried a variety of dispatch methods and on coyotes I either shoot them in the lungs, preferred method, or in the back of the head. On the lung shot a 22 short works nice as it does not exit and when skinning the hole is almost non-existent. It also is a bit messier with blood clotting on the head shot making it harder to skin and flesh in the head area and the lungs not much of anything happens to make a mess.
    If I am someplace trapping where shooting is not a good idea then a thump on the head and then standing on the chest for about 2 minutes does the trick nicely...

My partners and I had a decent day on the line as it warmed up to 45 degrees last night and some raccoons came out to eat! Caught 5 nice ones, a opossum, and one very nicely furred male coyote! We about missed the coyote as it is a 1/4 mile of the road at the end of a farm lane where two fences meet and I check it with binocs and this old male was laying flat and still. Something just didn't look right and since it was a first night set I really didn't expect a catch so quick so we glassed it and went on. After checking ur last set we had to drive by it on a different road and I looked again and told Stevie I think we have something so back through the mud we went. Thankfully that was a very good decision! Tomorrow will be using the 4 wheeler as it got to upper 50's today and sloppy!

Hate to complain about a great day but my rear is dragging, been skinning and fleshing for 7 hrs and still not done!
    7 coons, 2 red fox, and 2 mudball coyotes. Sloppy mess out today...

I think I set these two DPs a little close as this furball has a front foot in each! Nice pair down the field a bit...

I think you need to change the title of this thread, sir. Rough start? Having a hard time managing any sympathy for you right now. Looks excellent!

Mudball coyote male in plowed field, what a mess...

Brain I am having a fit trying to downsize these pics from photobucket? When I try to upload strait from my pc photos it only works sporadically??? Any tips?

Nice red male in pasture...

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Mudball coyote male in plowed field, what a mess...

Brain I am having a fit trying to downsize these pics from photobucket? When I try to upload strait from my pc photos it only works sporadically??? Any tips?

The ones you're uploading from photobucket look good to me. As for uploading them straight from your PC, that's something I've only done a handful of times with only modest success. I know that I'm the one to ask, but...well, I don't know what to tell you. Frustrations with the direct attachments is why I use photobucket.

Are you thinking they're showing up too large? Seem pretty good to me.

Yes, to me they are huge and trying to fit them in so one can view the entire pic without scrolling, as long as no one complains I will keep posting!

This is Stevie shucking coons while I flesh, great young man for sure !

Well back to work - I have to be on the road by 7AM so started running traps about 5:45 today after turning some pelts, caught two nice coons and a really nice big male coyote... Still have a couple sets to check on the way home... Still had some snow on Thursday and Callie was loving that!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coyote Dec1 2014.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	82155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me N Callie 1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	82156

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast