Thread: strange smelling salmon?

Default strange smelling salmon?

I hope this is posted in the right place. I took a fillet of Kenai red salmon out of the freezer earlier, it was vacuum packed in July 2014. It had a very unusual smell that I finally decided was very much like roasted barley. I fried a little up and it tasted just fine but the boss wanted nothing to do with me making it for dinner tonight. I took another fillet out (probably the other half of the same fish but who knows) and it had a similar smell. Both fillets look great just have that unusual smell.

Just wondering if anyone else had ever had a smell like that in their salmon. It wasn't fishy at all, just that nutty barley smell.

In case you are wondering, no beer was brewed during the processing of salmon...

Quote Originally Posted by grousedad View Post
    I hope this is posted in the right place. I took a fillet of Kenai red salmon out of the freezer earlier, it was vacuum packed in July 2014. It had a very unusual smell that I finally decided was very much like roasted barley. I fried a little up and it tasted just fine but the boss wanted nothing to do with me making it for dinner tonight. I took another fillet out (probably the other half of the same fish but who knows) and it had a similar smell. Both fillets look great just have that unusual smell.

Just wondering if anyone else had ever had a smell like that in their salmon. It wasn't fishy at all, just that nutty barley smell.

In case you are wondering, no beer was brewed during the processing of salmon...
    I have nef=ver encountered this myself.
    I have to wonder if it acquired the smell from other foods stored with it in your freezer?
    Was this vacuum sealed with the thicker chamber sealer bags or those wimpy food saver bags?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"