Thread: spinning bullet on ice today....

That went for a long time....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

yeah if I hadn't messed with it I think it would have spun longer.

Can someone tell me why or how this happens?

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    Can someone tell me why or how this happens?
    Firing into ice at just the right angle stops the forward travel of the bullet but not the rotation. Most semi-auto rounds spin at about 20Krpm so you get a bullet spinning on a surface with very little drag just like the video shows. A couple years back some guy was screwing around on Big Lake with a 40S&W (IIRC) and figured this out, he put it on Youtube and next thing ya know lots of people confirmed it works.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Firing into ice at just the right angle stops the forward travel of the bullet but not the rotation. Most semi-auto rounds spin at about 20Krpm so you get a bullet spinning on a surface with very little drag just like the video shows. A couple years back some guy was screwing around on Big Lake with a 40S&W (IIRC) and figured this out, he put it on Youtube and next thing ya know lots of people confirmed it works.
    that was the hard part, figuring out the angle. to shallow of an angle and it ricochets, to steep, it buries into the ice. surprising how much penetration the little 9 actually had on fairly hard ice. (vs rotten ice)

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    that was the hard part, figuring out the angle. to shallow of an angle and it ricochets, to steep, it buries into the ice. surprising how much penetration the little 9 actually had on fairly hard ice. (vs rotten ice)
    Shayno, how much penetration did you get? I tried this one time with a 40 S&W and shot clear through the ice. Rather than do any measuring I got off the ice. The ice was covered with ice fishing holes and there was a shack half way across the big pond. We have a whole lot of guys around here that ice fish with 3 or 4 inches of ice........I'm not one of them! I've wondered since then how much ice was there that I actually shot through?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Rather than do any measuring I got off the ice.
    I think that there was a wise move! I think it needs to be about 6" or more . . . otherwise this fat guy sure ain't out there let alone shooting it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona