Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Fish Flasher for Ice Fishing

Default Electronic Fish Flasher for Ice Fishing

Seems that these are not very popular in Alaska and I am wondering why. Reading ice fishing forums from across the lower 48 is seems as they are as common as a slush scooper.

Aside from the cost of the units is there any real reason they are not more popular in this area?

Tom

I have and use one here, but it depends on the type of fishing I'm doing.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Everyone I fish with has one including myself. I feel naked without it.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I have one, but don't use it much as most of my ice fishing is on gin clear lakes in less than 15 feet of water. I can see everything by just looking down the hole. The flasher is useful when fishing very deep lakes (30+ feet).

They are awesome tools. Not only for seeing fish, but for finding depths and structure. I don't ice fish without one anymore.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Agreed - ice fishing electronics are great for deep depths fishing in Alaska - they can be a difference maker in seeing what is under you in the water column.

Ice fishing in Alaska is simply not that popular when compared to the lower 48 ice belt. The type of fish species availble, techniques targeting them, and a persons budget all factor into why they are not part of every winter fisherman's tool bag in Alaska.

1. Yes, good electronics for ice fishing are not cheap

2. Most ice fishermen in Alaska have never used a flasher, and the device may look intimidating

3. Most lakes where ice fishing is done in Alaska are probably less than 40 feet in deep - and sight fishing is easy to accomplish in shallow depths with a handful of large sized lima beans of egg shells.

4. ice fishing is vertical fishing - species react different (pan fish vs trout vs burbot vs etc)

5. investing in a underwater camera may be a better investment rather than a flasher in Alaska (just depends on the frequentcy you fish, location you fish, and how deep your pockets are)
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I use an inexpensive hand-held sonar. It's not as precise as a flasher and it doesn't nail down fish location, but it's helpful for finding structure and it'll feep if a fish swims by.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I have a flasher but I dont use to too much anymore now that I have a camera. If I am fishing over 12-15 feet of water ill take it along. I agree, I dont see to many flashers on the lakes up here.

My Marcum lx7 just arrived yesterday. Will report back on its effectiveness but I presume it will be a game changer when targeting lake trout and big old char and dollys! Tight lines yall

Thanks guys, that is how I feel and figured if nothing else it would give me something to do while sitting on the ice.. I went with the Marcum LX3TC. Seems to work, haven't marked any fish yet though... I didn't get into ice fishing to save money, that's for sure ;o)

I WONT fish without mine! i have a humminbird ice 45, sure is handy for fishing for lakers! and all the deep lakes! i dont use it if im fishing for rainbows in a place i am famialar with though.

I have an FL20 from Vexilar and I really like it. I also have an FL8 also from vexilar as a backup unit. I bought my stepson an LX1 from Marcum.
    In the lower 48 they fish a lot of species that suspend in the water column. If you don't know what depth that is or cannot reliably return to the correct depth you will miss a lot if not all of the fish if you even find them at all.
    Fishing shallow water here in Alaska where our trout and Landlocked salmon often relate to the bottom they aren't as neccesary.
    But I don't usually go without mine. I have had several scenarios where it has helped me ice more and bigger fish.
    Also helps me nail down the depth I am looking for or structure such as a drop off.
    I also have an underwater camera but seldom use it. I would definetly buy a flasher berfore a camera.
    With the camera they take a few minutes to setup each time you move holes or even your jigs height. You only see what is in front of the camera at that depth and can be a pain to find your jig on the screen.
    With a flasher I see the entier water column all the time. I can see if there are fish above or below my jig. I can see my jig and return it to the same depth repeatedly and easily.
    I can guage how the fish are reacting to my presentation and adjust if neccessary.
    A few seconds in each hole tells me if there are fish present or not.
    I don't neccessarily need a second hole for the flasher but the camera cable certainly gets in the way so it needs it's own hole.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Marcum LX-5 in my hut.
    I find it impossible to fish without it now.

One of the biggest advantages is the ability to shoot through the ice.
    I always take a 500ml water bottle with me and before drilling a hole I will clean off the snow and place the transducer on the ice. Then turn on the flasher and pour a little water on the ice at the transducer. This couples the transducer to the ice and effectively makes the ice below the transducer part of the transducer. This enables a signal to be shot through the ice to the bottom and back to the transducer allowing you to determine depth before drilling a hole. No drilling into the bottom or in poor spots. Saves a ton of time and work when the ice gets thick. The only caveat is you need clear ice. Ice that has a lot of white in it has air bubbles that prevent the sonar signal from passing properly to and from the transducer.

I also have a camera but find it's more trouble than it's worth and don't use it much at all.
    I routinely use my flasher in less than 10' of water. Saves a lot of neck strain since I don't have to stare down a hole all day long.

somewhere in between are the vertical type, for finding depth and putting your jig right on the fish, these are all fishees
    "f/64 and be there"

You guys are a bad influence. I started ice fishing a few years ago for a cheap winter hobby. Now I have a gas auger, popup, SnoGo, at least a dozen rods, 4 boxes of ice fishing lures, and tonite I bought a flasher at cabelas. Headed out in the morning to test drive it.

Last weekend my vexilar was very useful

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    Seems that these are not very popular in Alaska and I am wondering why. Reading ice fishing forums from across the lower 48 is seems as they are as common as a slush scooper.

Aside from the cost of the units is there any real reason they are not more popular in this area?

Tom
    When it comes to ice fishing, I'm no slouch. When I have a flasher/ finder I'm unstoppable. Without a flasher/finder fishing in cloudy, deep water or at night, all you do is stare at a black hole in the ice wondering what's down there, where are they at, what are they doing? With a flasher/finder all those questions are answered. When you are drilling holes in grids (5-15 holes), which everyone should be doing, I just jump from hole to hole until I find fish and then it's "game on". Without a flasher, you are just staring into a hole hoping, wondering if fish are EVEN there. I'll admit it, I'm a flasher junkie
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

It's crazy how things change. Before never used them now if I forget it I would turn around and go all the way back home to get it. I do the same for my phone too now days. So silly.
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

a got to have,,,, camera ,,,,flasher heater,,,,,,

Cameras are over rated

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast