Thread: Dan the Animal!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Dan the Animal!

This guy climbed the highest peak in 3 saints bay and shot a giant billy, then he drug it down to the beach, at 3AM!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

The other end of the bell curve.............I don't condone this type of activity as there are many other times it ends in some kind of airlift. I'm pleased for his sucess and safety.

Kill joy!!!

But you are right!

Way to go Danimal! Let the naysayers say nay, you pushed your limits and achieved greatness. Congratulations, that looks like it was a real ball breaker!

Nice to see your hunters having success, Mr Jeff, stay safe.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I was fortunate enough to have a great friend who was a fanatical goat hunter (Ak Nimrod, aka Pat) and he took me on a hunt where I too was able to get a great Billy. It was a hard, but enjoyable hunt that once we were done with the picture taking and animal processing we had a long trip to go to get back to our spike camp. To top off the darkness, it rained almost the whole time. I had a head lamp that's batteries gave out before midnight. Thankfully, Pat had a better set up, and we were able to go down the worse part in a safe manner. We ended up dropping our packs, covered them, and went the rest of the way back to camp for food, hot coffee and some sleep. The next morning we went back for our packs and everything was great. This goat is a beautiful trophy (1/2 life) that I look at every day. Getting stuck once the sun goes down is not something I want to do, but I realize it is part of the risks of hunting in Alaska. I now own "appropriate" headlamps, and always have extra batteries. Looks like this hunter had the right gear, so kudos! I am sure this will be a hunt of a lifetime, so congratulations...now for the measurements ;-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    The other end of the bell curve.............I don't condone this type of activity as there are many other times it ends in some kind of airlift. I'm pleased for his sucess and safety.
    Agreed, it's always a great idea to push it in the dark.......til it isn't. Many a "there I was" story starts with a decision to do something in the dark that you didn't have to.

Dark or no, to drag a nice billy down from a Kodiak mountain to the beach......this guy is a monster of initiative, good for him.