Thread: looking for gas checks

Default looking for gas checks

Does anyone make gas checks locally that they sell?

You will have to buy those through the mail or from a well stocked shooting supply store. So the quick answer is no.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I think Lee Stoner makes some but doubt he would sell them without the lead. You can get dies to make your own but they are picky about the thickness of stock you use. By the time you count your time and hassle value its best to just order what you need and be done with it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

thanks for the leads. Im not sure what im going to do. I have 6 buckets of lead that Im going to make ingots this winter. I feel like I need to gas check my 44 loads and my 45/70 loads... I think ill just buy them for now. Anyone have any luck with the rbcs lube/size machine? And also seat gas checks with it?

The RCBS will seat the gas check and size at the same time. I've sized and checked including 500 S&W. So will the Lyman but if it the older model you will have to upgrade the handle or it may break.

Hey someone posted on here a while back about a shooting range that doesn't allow gas checks. What's the possible rationale on that?

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    What's the possible rationale on that?
    That makes no sense.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Hey someone posted on here a while back about a shooting range that doesn't allow gas checks. What's the possible rationale on that?
    Well a check will kill a chronograph because like a shot wad they go their own way . . . so maybe that range has something out there they don't want hit.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well a check will kill a chronograph because like a shot wad they go their own way . . .
    Andy, in your experience does that happen very often? I've never seen any evidence of it with myself. Near as I can tell, my bullets always make it to the backstop with checks firmly intact.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    The RCBS will seat the gas check and size at the same time. I've sized and checked including 500 S&W. So will the Lyman but if it the older model you will have to upgrade the handle or it may break.

thanks for the info. The rcbs looks like the a decent machine.

The GC is supposed to stay with the bullet but depending on the brand and bullet shank size, some fit better than others. Also some have a little crimp edge that digs into the bullet a little and some don't. Some times they don't make it much further than the end of the barrel still attached. And yes they can destroy an unprotected crono display. I see GCs at SW, and a few other places from time to time. There is a fellow on "cast boolits" that sells a variety of GCs quite a bit cheaper than retail stores and they are said to be very good checks. I make my own from aluminum with dies that I make. But, they are more labor intensive on my limited equipment than I would like.

In my experience over all about a forth of them come off, some do better and some do a lot worse. Seems the smaller the caliber the better they stay on, my .256wm stay well but my hot 45/50 caliber stuff not so much. Yea, I can tell you first hand they definitely will kill a chronograph.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona