Thread: Sous Vide and wild game (mostly)

Default Sous Vide and wild game (mostly)

So, I first heard about Sous Vide on this forum. Found one on sale at Amazon & bought it (anova). Made lamb w/ cranberry chutney last night. Man o man! Not a bunch of lambs running round here though. So, I have a nice little chunk of moose on my counter- and I'm trolling for recipes, ideas, tricks....

Do you sous vide-ers just use salt & pepper? And have you found charts specific to wild game or use the beef cooking charts? Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    So, I first heard about Sous Vide on this forum. Found one on sale at Amazon & bought it (anova). Made lamb w/ cranberry chutney last night. Man o man! Not a bunch of lambs running round here though. So, I have a nice little chunk of moose on my counter- and I'm trolling for recipes, ideas, tricks....

Do you sous vide-ers just use salt & pepper? And have you found charts specific to wild game or use the beef cooking charts? Thank you!!!

I spice as a always do,, I have found this chart to work very good. I have the same machine and cooked Goat steaks to fork tenderness.

I brown off on the grill or in a skillet using grapeseed oil heated to smoking. Grapeseed has a higher smoke point and allows for a quick brown without overcooking.

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-us...mperatures.htm
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

so stid- do you have the Anova or the Supreme? My husband was skeptical, but I came out looking genius! =) My standby for moose- was often breading & frying (with plenty of garlic)- which we love! However, this looks a bit healthier & interesting/different. I just don't want the meat to be bland, some of the online recipes call for marinaides (hoisin & such). Unsure if I really need to do that.

Also wonder if I can cook a family size meal. Most of the recipes have a steak or maybe 2. I think if I can seal them flat & they fit in the pot ok- I'm golden!

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    so stid- do you have the Anova or the Supreme? My husband was skeptical, but I came out looking genius! =) My standby for moose- was often breading & frying (with plenty of garlic)- which we love! However, this looks a bit healthier & interesting/different. I just don't want the meat to be bland, some of the online recipes call for marinaides (hoisin & such). Unsure if I really need to do that.

Also wonder if I can cook a family size meal. Most of the recipes have a steak or maybe 2. I think if I can seal them flat & they fit in the pot ok- I'm golden!
    I have the Anova, but use the Supreme chart. I have mine attached to a large tamale pot, so room for a family meal plus. I have found that I need to add more spice than I otherwise would. Makes awesome fish and chicken, incredibly moist. I posted a few dishes in the "whats for dinner thread".

Can do an entire meal including veggies, drop in and have a hot dinner when you get home. Also awesome for warming up meals that have been vac sealed, left overs.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

My favorite is rosemary sprigs on steaks and lamb. I have the anova. I have a book called Beginning Sous Vide by Logsdon that has a ton of recipes and tips.

Actually the lamb with rosemary has been my favorite too- but my wallet doesn't like me buying lamb. =) I've also done some chicken & moose & they were good. I'd like to find tips to spike some flavor though.

I would never use recommended cooking methods from a source that says to cook an egg in the shell for 45min to 1.5hrs, or shrimp for 40min.

I will be cooking a venison roast using this method in the next couple days. Looking forward to it.