Thread: Any hares along knik bridges

Default Any hares along knik bridges

Was wondering if anybody been out that way looking for rabbits

Numbers are way down, low end of the cycle. Been out looking, seeing none to little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

We used to chase bunnies around out that way quite a bit, but I cant say I've seen one in the area in the last 5 years or so.

Walked around over there for about 8 hours last weekend. No scat to be found, no tracks because there was no snow. Tough to tell.

It seems like the rabbit cycle has been on the "low end" for 4 or 5 years now around here. What gives?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

3 or 4 years ago, there was significant flooding in that area right before freez-up and everything within a few hundred yards of the river was underwater, then it froze up before the water receded. If it didn't live in a tree, it didn't survive...haven't seen a bunny around there since.

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    Was wondering if anybody been out that way looking for rabbits
    The only hares that I've seen this year were along the Matanuska River.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Yeah, there's plenty of hares around. I helps to have a dog in the low years like this. I've been able to pick up a few every time I go out, but I got beagles. They find them for me and push em out into the open. If I was trying to push them out myself I'd be having a hard time. I think the last month there seems to have been more hunters than usual. Every time I go out I have been seeing other hunters as well. The late snow made for prime rabbit hunting conditions. On another note, the rabbits we shot yesterday were the smart ones. All the dumb ones got shot first earlier in October and early November. The ones we shot yesterday stayed tight into the cover and were hesitant to let the dogs push them out into the open. They also ran wider circles than usual. In places I go where the rabbits usually run in 200-300 yard circles, they were running in 400-500 yard circles. I even had one yesterday try to outsmart the dogs and run over the railroad tracks. My dog followed it over the tracks circled it back around and ran it back over the tracks again. One of my sons tried taking a long poke at it right after it crossed the tracks but missed. You can learn a lot from a GPS collar.