Thread: Anyone ever pressure cook a game roast?

Default Anyone ever pressure cook a game roast?

I've got one of our better moose roasts picked out for Thanksgiving and thought about trying something a little different.We are always pressure canning but I've never tried pressure cooking.Anyone pressure cooked any roasts and if so what was your results.

Quote Originally Posted by pike it alot View Post
    I've got one of our better moose roasts picked out for Thanksgiving and thought about trying something a little different.We are always pressure canning but I've never tried pressure cooking.Anyone pressure cooked any roasts and if so what was your results.
    I did a grass fed beef roast once. Never again. I may have overlooked but not sure. It was very tough. I cook my moose roasts in the crock pot.

Seems weird. Braising/stewing/crockpot means slow, low heat. Pressure cooking means intensely hot temps, doesn't it? Temps that aren't achievable under normal pressure?

For tough meat, the goal is to cook the meat until the fibers relax.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Seems weird. Braising/stewing/crockpot means slow, low heat. Pressure cooking means intensely hot temps, doesn't it? Temps that aren't achievable under normal pressure?

For tough meat, the goal is to cook the meat until the fibers relax.
    That's what the general consensus was when I did that beef roast. I was told I either over cooked ( to long) or I should have slow cooked it.
    Regardless of what I did wrong I wouldn't try a moose roast in a crock pot. I learned my lesson. That beef roast was a pretty penny too.

I regularly cook moode and caribou in an electric pressure cooker. It is always tender and moist and will cook from frozen I'm a fraction of the time.

Lots of small roast, 2 to 5lbs, in the small pressure cooker....great stuff! Add veggies whole, 30 to 40 minutes later your done. Love it.

Also, deep fry a roast, crunchy outside and ŗÓre middle. Goods stuff!
    BK

So how long in the pressure cooker for a say 3-5 lb roast? My results have been disapointing so far.

When I lived off grid, I pressure-cooked many a game roast on the stove top....usually threw em in frozen, little Lipton soup mix maybe....20-30 min, you're eatin'............
    "ľ Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I'm thinking i'll save the experimenting for later and stick with one of my other methods.Would hate to bring no good roast to Thanksgiving!