Thread: Freighter Canoe

Default Freighter Canoe

I would like to get some info on buying or having a freighter canoe build.

Quote Originally Posted by skeet396 View Post
    Mainer in Alaska here. If I had the money he'd be my guy. Reasonable price. Very knowledgable.

you're going to have to provide more info concerning what you are wanting or needing in a freighter....

new ones run from the $2000,00 an up grumman runs $2400.00 state side an cost A lot to send to Anchorage / Alaska,
    so the starting price on a used one will be $1300.00 an go from there , as PIPERCUB stated what do you want ? it all depends on what you want like what type of water are you going to travel on most of the time ??? BIG water ? small rockey streams ? salt water ? an the price will change .
    NEW the PRICE will go from about $2000 to over $6000 it is up to you so fill us in for a good frighter [ 19 FT plus ]
    SID

I am looking for the same type of canoe . Have it narrowed down to either a Albeny or a Hudson Bay .Like the idea of the smaller boat for ease of handleing and loading on a pick up rack vs using a trailer all the time . Every time i buy something however i alway wish i had gone bigger .
    I am looking to do most of my trips on larger rivers , the Peace , Athabasca, Red Deer and Sask rivers in Alberta and trips like the yukon and Mackenzie.
    At home it would be one day to one week hunting and fishing trips . Also looking to do some larger lakes in the yukon and Northern alberta and BC

Here are several questions .
    -What size of motors would you run on these two types of boats .I like to run a little larger then required so I do not end up running them full throttle but do not want to overload the back end
    - When looking at the size of both boats , does the larger by 10 to 15 % in all measurments make the HB a much more stable and comfortable baot to spend time in
    Cost of the boats and motors does not matter , i am looking for a nice safe boat to go both up and down stream in .I have river boated all of the listed rivers and lakes in the past but want to slow it down some .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by North riverman View Post
    I am looking for the same type of canoe . Have it narrowed down to either a Albeny or a Hudson Bay .Like the idea of the smaller boat for ease of handleing and loading on a pick up rack vs using a trailer all the time . Every time i buy something however i alway wish i had gone bigger .
    I am looking to do most of my trips on larger rivers , the Peace , Athabasca, Red Deer and Sask rivers in Alberta and trips like the yukon and Mackenzie.
    At home it would be one day to one week hunting and fishing trips . Also looking to do some larger lakes in the yukon and Northern alberta and BC

Here are several questions .
    -What size of motors would you run on these two types of boats .I like to run a little larger then required so I do not end up running them full throttle but do not want to overload the back end
    - When looking at the size of both boats , does the larger by 10 to 15 % in all measurments make the HB a much more stable and comfortable baot to spend time in
    Cost of the boats and motors does not matter , i am looking for a nice safe boat to go both up and down stream in .I have river boated all of the listed rivers and lakes in the past but want to slow it down some .

Thanks
    Scott Canoe is out of business. You would need to find these boats used unless someone has old stock.

Scott Canoe is out of business. Scott Canoe, however, will be back in business in 2015 and they will be manufacturing Hudson Bays, hopefully with a better bilge. http://www.scottcanoe.com/en

cool will be glad when they come on line SID

Man..great news. You really need to stay on top of this dog eat dog canoe business world! http://trailswag.ca/blog/2014/11/11/...d-impex-kayaks

I love the name of the new company. The abitibi is the name of the river being surveyed in the classic Wade Hemsworth song, black fly. Great piece of Canadianna.

There is a company in Maine that is making an evolved Hudson Bay Freighter. Two Rivers Canoe and Tackle use to sell Scott Canoes. A local builder has made a whole new plug and mold for the Two Rivers Canoe. It looks like a Hudson Bay except it doesn't require thwarts and the bilge drains without interruption from fiberglass ribs. It's worth a look. http://www.tworiverscanoe.com/
    http://wabi.tv/2014/07/02/dedham-boa...e-fast-enough/

quite busy with day time work, and working on an 18 ft x 55 in taiga creek canoe in the evenings for my friend David, as well as future canoe molds. I had a batch of defective UHMW, so also have been machining rock guards for copperhead motors on a couple orders that are late. Along with work, I'm also training my dog team of Alaskan Malamutes. I don't frequent the forums much anymore. After the taiga creek order, I need to build my personal 22 ft x 60 in wide Alaskan Freighter canoe for my new 23 hp copperhead surface drive. Again, don't take my absence too personal if I don't get back. Internet forums is a huge waste of time when canoes have to be built. I do miss bs'n with all you peanut heads though, and hopefully in a couple months, I can start chattin bout huntin and fishin with yahs! In August, I will be gone for a freighter canoe-based sheep hunt, then september for moose. A brief phone call is doable though, to all those that have pm'd me, that I don't have time to type back too:
    907-903-2101
    Michael
    Yukon Freightworks Canoe Co.