Thread: Kenai City Council Dipnet 2014 Report - Chronicle

Default Kenai City Council Dipnet 2014 Report - Chronicle

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/2014-11-23-1

The Clarion article on the Kenai meeting.. Some 2014 data, some 2015 proposals. Nearly 60% of dipnetters were from Anchorage, 14% were from the central Kenai area.

Thank you for posting this. Despite some strident voices to the contrary, it appears that dipnetting is causing fewer problems each year, and the city is getting a better handle on things each year as well. "Marquis said in his five years hearing the dipnet reports every year the city’s handling of the fishery is more “efficient and refined” and the number of complaints reduces each year."

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Thank you for posting this. Despite some strident voices to the contrary, it appears that dipnetting is causing fewer problems each year, and the city is getting a better handle on things each year as well.
    What the city of Kenai does about it is one thing, what it actually does to the rest of the area is quite another.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Thank you for posting this. Despite some strident voices to the contrary, it appears that dipnetting is causing fewer problems each year, and the city is getting a better handle on things each year as well. "Marquis said in his five years hearing the dipnet reports every year the city’s handling of the fishery is more “efficient and refined” and the number of complaints reduces each year."
    I think you may have misinterpreted. Yes, the City of Kenai is getting better at handling this fishery which keeps growing and growing, but just because the city is more efficient and refined at dealing with problems does not mean that the fishery is causing fewer problems. At a recent KRSMA board meeting, the Kenai City Manager stated that this fishery was more out of control than ever and that it gets worse every year. As a resident who watches this fishery every day, I can say he was speaking the truth. There were more accidents then ever before, and safety is a major concern. I just spoke with a family member over Thanksgiving dinner who was disappointed they missed the referenced meeting as every year they have more and more dipnetters relieving themselves in their yard. Seriously I have watched - it's a problem.

The city has been reasonably successful because it has limited access and increased regulation/enforcement - something the state should have done long ago. Quite the contrary however - in the past the state has actually given the city a hard time over some of it's enforcement practices. Hopefully with a new administration things will change...

Kudos to the City of Kenai.

I have to agree with 4merguide and Smithtb on this one.
    I have never experienced so many rude and insulting people in my life as I did this year from our dipnet fishery.
    I witnessed more habitat destruction than ever and was insulted several times by dipnetters.
    My family was also insulted by some drunk dipnetters and we were fortunate they left before it got ugly.
    Witnessed several acts of tresspassing and in no way could they have missed the no tresspassing signs that were posted on either side of the the entrance they used.
    Also witnessed dipnetters camping in a boat launch parking lot 50' in front of a no camping sign.it seems our local rules and laws don't always apply to dippers. Had I not been with family those dippers would have gotten an earful from me for flagrant disregard of at the no camping.
    The dipnet fishery isn't just in Kenai either and Kasilof continues to suffer the consequences of this crazy fishery.
    Next year I am going to be more vigilant in admonishing these people when I see them causing problems. I am not going to take it any more.
    I will do/say something.
    This is my community and it isn't right to see it treated this way.
    So IMHO this fishery gets worse every year and this will continue until major changes are enacted or peninsula residents decide to do something on their own to make these people straighten up.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I'm sorry that dipnetters cause problems to the area residents. I am a dipnetter, and am always very respectful of the rules and regulations, as well as unwritten ethical behaviour. And so are the vast majority of dipnetters. The city report says that an average of 7 citations per day were written, even with the increased enforcement. I think most traffic cops write more citations than that per shift... to me, 7 citations, or about 1 every 2 hours, isn't too bad, considering the number of people involved in the fishery. It is still 7 citations per day too many; but certainly seems to bolster the assertion that a very few people are making a bad name for the many.

Its long been said that it is easier to attract flies with honey than vinegar. I've been able, through the years, to engage people who were violating a regulation in conversation, and find they truly were ignorant of the regulation they were violating. Most people are grateful to be redirected, and saved a ticket. A very few violators were in willful violation, and very rude about being approached. Well, LEO is only a phone call away. I've heard the line "its none of your business what I do," a few times.. that is not true. Because the violations of the few lead to regulations on everyone, and can deplete fisheries, leading to closure of the fishery to all. So one person's business is my business; it affects me on a very personal level. I believe a civil discourse with people is worth its weight in gold, and will go a long way toward solving the problems that occur with increased participation. For those who truly don't give a fig, cell phones and video are wonderful tools. And increased LEO presence means quicker response times for the true bad apples. Usually the word gets out pretty quick, and the knowledge that bad deeds will be quickly punished is a powerful deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    I think you may have misinterpreted. Yes, the City of Kenai is getting better at handling this fishery which keeps growing and growing, but just because the city is more efficient and refined at dealing with problems does not mean that the fishery is causing fewer problems. At a recent KRSMA board meeting, the Kenai City Manager stated that this fishery was more out of control than ever and that it gets worse every year. As a resident who watches this fishery every day, I can say he was speaking the truth. There were more accidents then ever before, and safety is a major concern. I just spoke with a family member over Thanksgiving dinner who was disappointed they missed the referenced meeting as every year they have more and more dipnetters relieving themselves in their yard. Seriously I have watched - it's a problem.

The city has been reasonably successful because it has limited access and increased regulation/enforcement - something the state should have done long ago. Quite the contrary however - in the past the state has actually given the city a hard time over some of it's enforcement practices. Hopefully with a new administration things will change...

Kudos to the City of Kenai.
    No, Smith, I didn't misinterpret the quote. The person quoted stated very plainly that the number of complaints the city receives has dropped every year. Perhaps areas outside the city bounds are getting worse and more out of control each year, but the person quoted in the article, and the data presented, shows that the dipnet fishery is well controlled, the city has a good handle on it, and the measures they have taken have resulted in a reduction in the number of complaints. Your perception may be in conflict with this report; that is fine. The article may be wrong, and the person quoted may have his head buried in the sand; but my interpretation of the article is not off. Your perception may be different, reality may be different, but according to the report and article referencing the report, reality is different than your perception. There are clearly different view points on the Kenai and Kasilof dipnet fisheries; I think the city's report stands in stark contrast to some of the opinions posted on this and other forums.

It's all about perception IMO. I think there is a direct correlation between how one perceives rude behavior and the environment they reside in. For example, an Anchorage or valley resident is used to traffic jams, crowds, and faster paced life. So when they come down to the kenai to dip, they are in an environment they are used to and nothing seems out of the ordinary. A resident from a slower paced, smaller, less crowded community will view that same behavior in a much different way. Personally, I have seen a lot of behavior that I considered rude this past year, but others probably didn't think nothing of it. Maybe less complaints are made because people are giving up and learning to deal with it? I know I am, I get out of the kenai area as much as possible July 15-31
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Here are the last two years' reports.

http://www.ci.kenai.ak.us/sites/defa...014_report.pdf

I love the title picture. "Yes, my $40,000 Denali is shaft deep in saltwater. No big deal..."

http://www.ci.kenai.ak.us/sites/defa...t%20report.pdf

I don't see any decrease in the number of incidents. In fact, when you take into account the increase in boating accidents, I'd say "more out of control than ever" is pretty accurate. Perhaps there have been fewer residents complaining to the city council about specific issues - issues which the city has worked hard to mitigate. Such as the no wake zone, which the city proposed to the state BOF only to be ignored. The city also reached out to the Coast Guard for help in enforcement, and I personally saw a cutter make its way to the mouth of the Kasilof. Apparently, the Coast Guard's only action in the Kenai was to inquire about the city's authority to enforce the very effective No Wake Zone.

Willphish, the city has done a decent job of dealing with this fishery that it did not ask for and sees little economic stimulus from relative to other fisheries. This despite little help from the state. I'm glad you feel that Kenai has worked hard to accommodate you, but that doesn't mean there aren't changes needed in this fishery.