Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New way to call coyotes?

Default New way to call coyotes?

The other day I flew out to set traps for wolverine. I circled the landing area and made two low passes to check the condition and snow depth. After landing I turned around to taxi back to the end and I saw a coyote running towards the plane. As I shut down the coyote came very close and ended up sitting under a bush 18 yards from the plane.
    I expected it to run off when I got out but he still just sat there. As I unloaded the plane he sort of walked in a half circle and then laid down watching me. It wasn't until I scolded him for being a "bad coyote" that he left, and then reluctantly.
    Anyone had anything like this happen? I figured I made enough noise flying in and around to scare off anything in the valley but the noise of the plane actually seemed to attract this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cell phone 11-24-2014 389.jpg  

Also, while I was out there I ran across these tracks. I'm assuming they're wolf. Anyone want to take a guess how old they are?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cell phone 11-24-2014 396.jpg  

Looks like lynx tracks to me

Weird exp with a coyote for sure, I also did not think wolf tracks from the pic and thought cat? Wonder if that coyote has spent time around a human someplace leaving it food of some type?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thanks for the track identification. I've taken lynx out of there before so that makes sense. I was wondering the same thing about the coyote but this place is pretty far out and doesn't get much human presence.

Sure seems that coyote has been fed by someone flying a plane to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    The other day I flew out to set traps for wolverine. I circled the landing area and made two low passes to check the condition and snow depth. After landing I turned around to taxi back to the end and I saw a coyote running towards the plane. As I shut down the coyote came very close and ended up sitting under a bush 18 yards from the plane.
    I expected it to run off when I got out but he still just sat there. As I unloaded the plane he sort of walked in a half circle and then laid down watching me. It wasn't until I scolded him for being a "bad coyote" that he left, and then reluctantly.
    Anyone had anything like this happen? I figured I made enough noise flying in and around to scare off anything in the valley but the noise of the plane actually seemed to attract this one.
    Maybe he thought your plane was a gigantic ptarmigan or something . Weird what animals will do sometimes. Who knows? If you don't mind me asking, where were you at? Don't worry, I don't have a plane so I can't get there anyhow.

Those look like coyote tracks. Cats pads are fur so they don't melt out that fast and typically their claws are retracted. Hard to say from a picture but I would guess no more than a day or two depending on temps. Those are my best guesses =)

Tough to tell from those pictures but if those are claw marks I'd say canine too. Definitely don't look more than a day or so old.

Since there was a coyote sitting there did you walk over and compare those tracks with what you posted pics of?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Yes, I went over and looked and the coyote tracks were much smaller. Lots of coyote tracks all over the area too. Thanks again for the better identification and time estimate on when they were made.

Most wolf tracks I've seen are typically 4" - 5" in diameter. Those don't look even close. I think they might be melted out coyote (as long as the "appearent" claw marks are just that).

I have had red fox run up to my 4 wheeler and follow behind as I drove down a trail. has happened a few times.

The claw marks indicate not lynx.. The large ankle pad impression make me think wolverine... They tend to be more flatfooted.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

It is a little hard to see in the photo, because it is washed out... but if you look, you can see the fifth toe pad and claw mark - Definitely a wolverine. .. good place to put a wolverine trap!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wolverinetrack.jpg  
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Thanks Juli. I can see that in the picture now.

Great point Juli, I'm not used to having them around so I didn't even think of that!

Kudos 'to JULI!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    It is a little hard to see in the photo, because it is washed out... but if you look, you can see the fifth toe pad and claw mark - Definitely a wolverine. .. good place to put a wolverine trap!
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!

I had this happen as well. I landed on a lake to check my lynx traps and as I was getting the plane buttoned up a coyote came running out of the woods from across the lake. It came up and sat down at about 30 yards from me and just watched me. This occurred on the Kenai Refuge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast