Thread: Very Interesting Grizzly Article

Default Very Interesting Grizzly Article

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/...ollow-hunters/

Actual GPS research on the 'dinner bell' grizzlies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Looks like you beat me to posting this by 13 minutes.

Scientific study to tell us what (most of us) are already aware of. Gotta love it.

Pavlov's Bears.

Most any animal can be conditioned to people.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Might be important to note that these are lower 48 bears, which never get hunted. They might be considerably more wary of humans if the tables were turned on them from time to time, as is the case in AK. As soon as bear guides start firing rounds in the air to bring in the bears, then I will be more inclined to think that Alaskan bears come to gunshots. Think how much easier that would be as opposed to stalking a bear. You see a bear, but too far off...just touch a few rounds off and let him come to you.

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    Might be important to note that these are lower 48 bears, which never get hunted. They might be considerably more wary of humans if the tables were turned on them from time to time, as is the case in AK. As soon as bear guides start firing rounds in the air to bring in the bears, then I will be more inclined to think that Alaskan bears come to gunshots. Think how much easier that would be as opposed to stalking a bear. You see a bear, but too far off...just touch a few rounds off and let him come to you.

I shot several rounds in this guys direction on Kodiak this fall as he got close to us. He never even flinched,, he closed to within 400 yards and bedded down until dark. Jake had a bear rush in and take his deer a few years ago, he posted the video here.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

The bear that took my deer was already chasing it when i shot it. I was 330 yards straight above the deer, top of the mtn shooting down. I don't think they heard the shots even it was blowing pretty good.
    I have however had a bear and a deer in the Binos at the same time. Deer at 250, bear at 400. Client shot the deer and i watched the bear. He just picked his head up and looked around.
    Also never had a bear come in after sighting in my rifle
    Or had a bear come in after shooting a duck

But...I did have a bear come in after shooting a deer once....it went to me not to the deer which was already 1/2 mile from me. Bear came out of a neighboring bay and ran towards us, we quickly back tracked and within five minutes that bear was sniffing where we were glassing from. It's all about the smell for those kodiaks.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

if bears came to gun shot guiding would be easy, quote from a long time kodiak guide, what I and I'm sure lots of forum members have noticed is the birds, once ravens and magpies have started working the kill, it's just a matter of time, this year we had birds circling before we got to the kill...? Maybe the birds are listening for the gun shots.....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    Maybe the birds are listening for the gun shots.....
    Well you might be on to something there.... Being the smart birds they are, Ravens just may be able to put two and two together and come up with this. But for the most part, I'd just have to say that birds just have one hell of a view from up there......

Years ago I remember jump shooting mallards all the way up a salmon stream. And when we got to the top there was a big sow sitting in the creek like she'd never heard a thing....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I used to have a flock of crows that would follow me all day during deer season on kodiak. By the time I put the knife to the deer they would be sitting there in the trees. They would wait by the boat in the morning for when I would head out. They knew what was up. Lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212