Thread: Pike through ice for the first time.

Default Pike through ice for the first time.

Went out on Memory Lake today, slow start but managed to pull up one fish while failing to hook or loosing 6 more. Still new to the idea of letting them run with it before setting the hook so a couple were lost to that, another large fish got to the hole before the hook came out, and he was over 20". While I was stewing about loosing that I saw another flag go up. Walked to it and discovered all the line was off the spool. It was a cheap wooden model sold at Walmart that comes with the line already on the spool. Either it wasn't tied well or tied at all to the spool but now I was more mad about that than the big one that got away.

Can't wait until next weekend now.

Awesome I lost a few big ones thus weekend aso well. Keep on fishing.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Odiebo View Post
    Went out on Memory Lake today, slow start but managed to pull up one fish while failing to hook or loosing 6 more. Still new to the idea of letting them run with it before setting the hook so a couple were lost to that, another large fish got to the hole before the hook came out, and he was over 20". While I was stewing about loosing that I saw another flag go up. Walked to it and discovered all the line was off the spool. It was a cheap wooden model sold at Walmart that comes with the line already on the spool. Either it wasn't tied well or tied at all to the spool but now I was more mad about that than the big one that got away.

Can't wait until next weekend now.
    Man that is so awesome!!! super jealous of your ice and adventure !! wishing we had ice on the Peninsula.. but the ice we fished on two weeks ago is open water again:-{ sweet pike!!

That right there would make a good fried pike sandwich! Keep at it you will get the few that got away.

Make yourself a few quickstrike rigs. You won't loose so many pike next time.
    I posted a thread about them a couple weeks ago.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

How much ice on memory ?

8" in the main bodies, 7 in the channel in the middle. Stay away from the edges, thin to open water there. Access is solid.

Keep a jigging stick handy with a 4 inch white tube jig on it. When you pull the bait away from a pike, have him let go at the hole, or just swing and miss, drop the jig down and work it for a few minutes. It may surprise you!

SAM_1596.jpgSAM_1622_1.jpg tipup for lakers and pike 400 feet 50lb. test red mono. fly reel ,,best tipup i ever made....!!fish cant break this one.....

Whitefisher,
    That set up you have is pretty cool. Where'd you get that design? And would you mind giving a bit of a description on it. Seems to be simple yet brilliant.
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Thanks This is mine design to share old fly reel five gal bucket lid, old tipup flag ,, 1in magnet ,coathanger..glue gun.... glue flag ..att reel slot 2 holes wireties..glue flag offset 1 in . to handle side ..glue mag.on bucket lip next to reel handle bend flag 1 in. s in end of flag att, to magnet, releases when handle hits flag at magnet ,,,line through flag hanger (coathanger) keeps flag waveing as fish takes out line drill,hole in center of lid,red 50lb.SAM_1622_1.jpgSAM_1622_1.jpgSAM_1619_1.jpg mono 400 ft. easy to reel backup no tangles.....sets easy with gloves on......adj trigger tape....holes dont frezze up,,,tape hand warmer to under side lid....caught lots of fish on this not 1 false set off yet......FISH ON.....

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefisher View Post
    Thanks This is mine design to share old fly reel five gal bucket lid, old tipup flag ,, 1in magnet ,coathanger..glue gun.... glue flag ..att reel slot 2 holes wireties..glue flag offset 1 in . to handle side ..glue mag.on bucket lip next to reel handle bend flag 1 in. s in end of flag att, to magnet, releases when handle hits flag at magnet ,,,line through flag hanger (coathanger) keeps flag waveing as fish takes out line drill,hole in center of lid,red 50lb.SAM_1622_1.jpgSAM_1622_1.jpgSAM_1619_1.jpg mono 400 ft. easy to reel backup no tangles.....sets easy with gloves on......adj trigger tape....holes dont frezze up,,,tape hand warmer to under side lid....caught lots of fish on this not 1 false set off yet......FISH ON.....

Can you maybe (between fishing trips) post a how-to in you Make It Yourself forum? That is a slick rig!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefisher View Post
    SAM_1596.jpgSAM_1622_1.jpg tipup for lakers and pike 400 feet 50lb. test red mono. fly reel ,,best tipup i ever made....!!fish cant break this one.....
    That is a pretty neat design. Nice job