Thread: Drawing Permits: Residents need Harvest Ticket too?

Default Drawing Permits: Residents need Harvest Ticket too?

If an AK resident draws a permit for a moose or caribou, do they need to have a harvest ticket for the species too if hunting the drawing area & animal ?

I can understand a non-resident would need to buy the out of state harvest ticket. ADF&G FAQ's doesn't spell out the resident case.

As long as you are hunting totally within the draw area, NO. You need only the draw tag F&G sends you, if you plan on hunting outside the draw area you will need a harvest tag.

Always check the regs and with F&G, not wise to seek info from a forum only.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

My wife had an antlerless permit this year for a specific area, yet the permit asked for unit, drainage, sex and antler configuation. The state could do a little better.

It's a single form for all those hunts. Cuts down on time and costs by Not printing a different format for each hunt

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    My wife had an antlerless permit this year for a specific area, yet the permit asked for unit, drainage, sex and antler configuation. The state could do a little better.
    Why spend all the money to customize each form for each specific hunt? Just seems like more chances for mistakes to be made. Better to keep it generic. It gets them all the same information in the end. Sometimes the easiest solution is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Why spend all the money to customize each form for each specific hunt? Just seems like more chances for mistakes to be made. Better to keep it generic. It gets them all the same information in the end. Sometimes the easiest solution is the best.
    Because the quality of their information sucks in some cases. This point was made again and again during the sheep presentation on Friday. Numerous questions couldn't be answered because F&G didn't have the data, and they themselves repeatedly said that they need to be better about collecting more thorough data. Customizing permit cards doesn't need to be expensive. They already have different permit numbers and hunt numbers on each - it wouldn't be any more expensive to remove the box for antler configuration or to add data boxes for other things that would help managers do their jobs. Seriously, a report with more robust data collection is low hanging fruit and there is no reason that these cards can't be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The tags are already customized for each draw. The hunt number, the tag number, hunter name and address, legal animal it is all there. It is pure laziness on the part of F&G that they don't have a form for each draw. When you think about it, a cow tag is a cow tag, and since F&G already imprints the hunt specifics on it, why is it so difficult? Think about it... cow moose tag, an "anybull" tag, a 50 inch tag, goat, sheep, bear, bison (cow and bull next year) caribou...not really that many since the species template is already complete.

Easy is good, but who ever said Alaska's regulations are easy? How many illegal animals are shot each year? How many hunters unknowingly are pursuing animals illegally? Lots of room for improvement

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    It's a single form for all those hunts. Cuts down on time and costs by Not printing a different format for each hunt
    Would you care to share your basis for determining the cost savings? It isn't there, the development cost for all forms could be measured in hundreds of dollars, never reaching a grand. The printing is done by an outside venndor via an electronic file that adds the hunt info and name. It really is a simple process now. 30 years ago it would have been very labor intensive, now with these fancy electronic typing machines it is a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    If an AK resident draws a permit for a moose or caribou, do they need to have a harvest ticket for the species too if hunting the drawing area & animal ?

I can understand a non-resident would need to buy the out of state harvest ticket. ADF&G FAQ's doesn't spell out the resident case.
    All the draw permits I've had the fortune to aquire have come with a "harvest ticket" attached to the report card. Tear on the preforations and notch, same as any harvest ticket. Non residents need to purchase a locking metal tag, not a harvest ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post

The answer is no and can be found in the Drawing Permit Hunt Supplement.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li...supplement.pdf

• Hunters who receive a drawing permit DO NOT need general season harvest tickets/reports toparticipate in a drawing hunt. If you have a general season harvest ticket/report for a particularspecies in addition to your drawing permit, DO NOT report the results of your drawing hunt ona harvest ticket hunt report -- it creates duplicate information. Properly completed permit reportsmust be returned by the date specified on the permit, even if you did not hunt or were unsuccessful.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

It might pay to have a harvest ticket anyway. For example, if you have a cow moose tag, it wouldn't hurt to have a harvest ticket for a bull in your pocket too. The limit is still one moose, but the first moose you see could be a legal bull.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.