Thread: Saving Brine?

Default Saving Brine?

Just wondering if anyone has saved and reused a fish brine solution? If so how lone did you keep it. Any thought on freezing it and then reusing?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I never have mostly because I had raw fish in it, obviously. However, I have thought about it many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first started I think I may have used a batch of brine for a couple batches of fish back to back, but I kept it quite cold through the whole process. I don't think I'd keep it beyond that.

I pretty quickly evolved to dry brining tho, and never looked back.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    When I first started I think I may have used a batch of brine for a couple batches of fish back to back, but I kept it quite cold through the whole process. I don't think I'd keep it beyond that.

I pretty quickly evolved to dry brining tho, and never looked back.
    How do you dry brine? Is it like making lox, Salt and brown sugar?

obviously salmonella would be the concern, but with the holidays coming and not time to do another run right away, I was considering freezing it. With a wife in the medical field, hearing what I was considering is not telling me absolutely NOT. She won't eat it if I do
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    How do you dry brine? Is it like making lox, Salt and brown sugar?

I used pretty much the same ingredients, but not in water solution. My mix was mostly brown sugar, about 3 parts sugar and one part salt, plus some secret ingredients and seasonings. I would lay down a layer of fish, cover with the mixture, add another layer of fish... maybe three layers deep or so. Usually for a short overnight at about 38 degrees. Then a real light rinse (involving more secret ingredients), and requisite drying before going into the cold smoker for a couple hours before canning. I liked the end results much better than soaking in any liquid solution.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I used pretty much the same ingredients, but not in water solution. My mix was mostly brown sugar, about 3 parts sugar and one part salt, plus some secret ingredients and seasonings. I would lay down a layer of fish, cover with the mixture, add another layer of fish... maybe three layers deep or so. Usually for a short overnight at about 38 degrees. Then a real light rinse (involving more secret ingredients), and requisite drying before going into the cold smoker for a couple hours before canning. I liked the end results much better than soaking in any liquid solution.
    Id like to try a dry brine with my next batch of fish; what do you like about the dry brine product vs soaking? Is it better for canning?

Quote Originally Posted by outaMT View Post
    Id like to try a dry brine with my next batch of fish; what do you like about the dry brine product vs soaking? Is it better for canning?
    I think it gives a better texture and flavor, and overall much better quality finished product. And to me it was faster and easier. Of course, there are folks who think/say the very same thing about wet brining... To each his own.
    #Resist

How about a PM and sharing the ingredients. I'm a retired Marine so I can keep a secret!!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    How about a PM and sharing the ingredients. I'm a retired Marine so I can keep a secret!!
    Compared to other expenses, brine is pretty cheap, Tom.