Thread: Chena River

Default Chena River

Has anyone floated the upper Chena from the 3rd bridge recently. In the past there has been a log jam between the 3rd bridge and the N fork. Can a raft make it through without portaging? Any other obstacles worth mentioning? Thanks

Cool mileage

What mileage is the 3rd bridge my friend? I am interested as well. I have a pro P that I am just itching to get wet in my neck of the woods!

Default Chena River milage

The State has a web site showing mileage and float times. 1st Bridge is MP 37.8, 2nd is 39.5 and 3rd is MP 44. http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/chena/river.htm

I'll try a shakedown float with the big cat Sat or sun.

Default thanks

Thanks for the info! I will surely use this!!!!! I didn't know about the info!!

Default Chena Float Report

I floated the Chena on Memorial Day weekend from the third bridge to Fairbanks. You have to realize that there has been some high water and flooding since I floated the river so I don't know if the conditions have changed. The upper part between the bridges in the recreation area had some sweepers, but it seemed someone has cut out most of the bad ones. A couple hours below the first bridge there was one minor log jam that I floated over, as well as lots of sweepers and strainers scattered throughout the upper portion of the river. The trip was moderately easy with the lower water levels that I experienced, but with higher flows it will require advanced paddling skills and a great deal of caution in some of the narrow winding portions of the river. Have a safe trip & enjoy!

akfarmer