Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argo, side by side, or multiple atvs?

Default Argo, side by side, or multiple atvs?

I just moved to Alaska a little over a month ago. I am considering purchasing an off road vehicle primarily for hunting. I will also take the family berry picking, riding and exploring. I am considering either purchasing an argo, a four person UTV, or two atvs. I am curious what you all prefer. I want something that will be good for hunting in the most varied conditions and weather possible. Dependability is very important as well. Thanks for the input.

Argo's have ZIP for suspension and little ground clearance. 4 person wheelers get stuck and stay stuck. Thats the downsides, anyhoo, but a personal Honda or such is unstickable, can easily carry two people and with two, your always gonna get home.

My experience , for the little thats worth.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I picked up a fully loaded Argo in October of 2013. It has been an absolute blast. I've been able to go pretty much anywhere anytime. The ride can be a bit rough, but having a single vehicle that can go where the others can't outweighs the negatives. I'm surprised at the terrain I've gone through, and areas that I wouldn't even consider taking a wheeler, I just go through without a second thought. I plow with it in the winter as well, so I am getting multiple uses out of it.

The thing to keep in mind is that it will take you longer to get to where you want to go in areas that you can go with wheelers or snowmachines. We are headed out on a trip tomorrow with the snowmachines, because to get to the area we want to start hunting, it is 15 minutes on the snowmachines compared to 45-50 minutes in the Argo. Once we are at the hunting grounds though, it is comparable speed because of the terrain. If you plan on heading out with buddies in a group, you could be slowing them down, or getting left behind in an Argo. Top speed is around 20mph, and I average around 13-14mph through the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Argo's have ZIP for suspension and little ground clearance. 4 person wheelers get stuck and stay stuck. Thats the downsides, anyhoo, but a personal Honda or such is unstickable, can easily carry two people and with two, your always gonna get home.
    My experience , for the little thats worth.
    Agree...

My experience with side by side ATVs was that they were too wide for the trails we used and if you weren't carrying a saw, trails could get tight.. Or impassable. Most ATV trails were pioneered using single rider four wheelers.. Maybe now the trails (through timber) are wider... The best four Wheeler I ever used was a Honda 350 fourtrax... That little Wheeler just kept going and going.. Loaded down to the hilt...
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

SSL has it right!

I've not much experience on these things, but we use a Kubota sxs at work. The back rest looks a lot like Jerod's Argo. It hits my back just right to cause back pain if used for more than a few min. at a time.

The Wife and I are most likely going to go with 2up atv.

The nice thing about 4 wheelers are they are small enough to get unstuck and get back on your way usually in fairly short order. The bigger side by sides and track vehicles when stuck, you better plan on spending some time and have some good gear to get them unstuck.

You did mention weather conditions as well though, and unless you buy windshields and toppers for your wheelers then you're pretty much out in the open all the time. But you can always bundle up for the cold....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The good deals on these are getting hard to find. Leave the rest behind.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

There's is a really nice Haglund for sale here in Whitehorse. Orange in colour.
    I have not been able to find an on line post for it, but if anyone was interested, I could contact the seller and get a phone number.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Default Argo, side by side, or multiple atvs?

I agree, separate four wheelers. Two guys on 4x4's with diff lock can go and do just about everything, although they may need more trips than an Argo or side by side. For reliability, easiness to fix in the field and get unstuck and fuel economy, 2 quads takes it, in my opinion. Although track rigs can go some places quads simply won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

If you go with an Argo your going to need tracks. I have an Argo myself and it goes almost anywhere. If i had tracks i am certain it would go anywhere. As far as that goes, with a winch your never really stuck. I have been delayed a few times but always been able to make it out. I do believe with tracks i would have never gotten in those situations. If your going to be hunting with the wife and kids i would go with multiple atvs. It is hard for a grown man to sit in the back of an argo on a rough trail without getting tossed out on your butt. Side by side are awesome in my opinion but they are so dang expensive you could go the other routes and not have to worry about width of the trails. Just my 2 cents. If you want an Argo let me know.

I've owned an Argo, multiple quads, and side by sides. Ive had the best luck "for an all around" machine in the Polaris ranger 6x6. Im on my 3rd, and im disappointed to hear that Polaris is no longer making them. The downside is that when you get it stuck, it is stuck. 4500 pound winch front and rear, and some creative anchor system, and you should be good to go.
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    I've owned an Argo, multiple quads, and side by sides. Ive had the best luck "for an all around" machine in the Polaris ranger 6x6. Im on my 3rd, and im disappointed to hear that Polaris is no longer making them. The downside is that when you get it stuck, it is stuck. 4500 pound winch front and rear, and some creative anchor system, and you should be good to go.
    100 percent agree. Very dependable machines.

If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post

good new is can am is making an awesome 6x6!

I am thinking about purchasing a couple of older used argos. I am a little concerned about their durability and cost of maintenance. I appreciate everyone's comments. The cost of a side by side, their size, and only having one vehicle is a a bit concerning. Four wheelers have their appeal but their lack of ability on the snow is a concern. A friend has a can am 850 four wheeler with tracks and has had lots of problems with the tracks.

Another vote for Honda quads! -that being said, would love to have some of the other toys/tools too-

Had everything but an 6x6 wheeler.

just sold a Grizzly with Camoplast tracks which was really good but very hard to steer in soft ground. Took a lot of effort.

if you want to get away from the crowd, an argo is best. When going out hunting speed has never been a concern for the terrain I go through.

With the wheeler I was always worried about swamping it, not a concern with an argo.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnejs View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing a couple of older used argos. I am a little concerned about their durability and cost of maintenance. .
    From what I've heard the older ones were a pain as far as always having to fix them. That being said I have no idea about the newer ones......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Another vote for an Argo or Mudoxx as a primary, quads or SxS as support rig(s)

Two four wheelers in my opinion. Much more versatile, comfortable and safe. Watched my brother in law flip an Argo end over end loaded with wife, kids and grandma. Luckily no one was hurt seriously. Needless to say, that was the last trip for the Argo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast