Thread: cost of a sheep tag

Default cost of a sheep tag

1. If the cost of a sheep tag goes up, as many have suggested, will that money go directly into sheep management, or does it have the potential for buying furniture for a state representative's conference room?

2. Given that the limiting factor for sheep seems to be environmental conditions, where can sheep management money be spent that will result in more sheep on the mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by bbags View Post
    1. If the cost of a sheep tag goes up, as many have suggested, will that money go directly into sheep management, or does it have the potential for buying furniture for a state representative's conference room?

2. Given that the limiting factor for sheep seems to be environmental conditions, where can sheep management money be spent that will result in more sheep on the mountain?
    1. Will go to general fund.

2. More research to find out limiting factors. Some is climate such as avalanches in the Chugach but so are eagles, also reduction of habitat from lack of Fire keeping the brush from increasing up the mtn reducing winter forage areas. Drastically different in Brooks.

Like anything there is no well defined factor for all white sheep. So unless you know more about the respective range and aspect you don't know what is limiting.

I also think divvying up subunits into smaller units and make them guaranteed draw at least for now. They need to get a handle on what areas are getting targeted the hardest. Harvest cards are not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    1. Will go to general fund.
    My understanding is the sale of big game tags, licenses, fishing licenses, etc. all go into the F&G fund which, along with PR monies make up ADF&Gs budget. I don't think the Dept. gets much of anything from the general fund. I have heard ADF&G employees mention that their wildlife money has to pay for the management of some state owned shooting ranges.
    There have been quite a few species oriented studies, many of which are done in partnership with Fed land holders (Park Service) and thus with assistence of Fed money.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!