Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: In Search of a New Ocean Boat

  1. #1
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default In Search of a New Ocean Boat

    My wife and I sold our Hewescraft 26ft Pacific Cruiser a couple months ago and are planning on spending the winter looking for a new boat. We're looking for something that will fit our family better. We have to small boys so having a place to put them down to sleep is important as we typically do multi-day trips. I don't want to pay the premium for a new boat so we're looking used. Ideally we're looking for another welded aluminum boat with twin outboards but I've also looked at Sea Sports and a few other fiberglass rigs. If anyone is selling something you think might work or know of something for sale or coming up for sale please let us know.

    We also have talked to the owner of this boat and are considering hauling it back but it's a major effort (http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...tion-LX-638014). Opinions and thoughts on a new rig are more than welcome.

  2. #2

    Default

    Sounds like you had the boat you described except for going bigger?
    Those acb's are solid boats but they sure didn't spend a dime in the aesthetics dept
    Low hrs, good trailer and the seller is able to arrange shipping to the west coast, shouldn't be difficult to tow it north or have it trucked.
    That boat if it was up here would probably be priced around 125k.
    If you get serious enough about it have a marine mechanic (not necessarily a Honda dealer) check the crankshaft end play clearance/tolerance against factory specs.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

  3. #3
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Sounds like you had the boat you described except for going bigger?
    Those acb's are solid boats but they sure didn't spend a dime in the aesthetics dept
    Low hrs, good trailer and the seller is able to arrange shipping to the west coast, shouldn't be difficult to tow it north or have it trucked.
    That boat if it was up here would probably be priced around 125k.
    If you get serious enough about it have a marine mechanic (not necessarily a Honda dealer) check the crankshaft end play clearance/tolerance against factory specs.
    You pretty much nailed it. We could only sleep 3 comfortably and 4 if we really crammed in. With a 2 and 4 year old it was a bit much. There were some things I didn't like about the Hewes but we could have made it work if it had more room to sleep.

    Yeah those ACBs are a unique look. I kinda like them but like the look of a Bayweld type better. You had much experience with the Honda's?

  4. #4
    Member smtdvm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Wow. Looks like a nice rigged out ACB. Can't imagine seeing one at that price in Alaska. To boot, the trailer appears to be well maintained. Aesthetics are nice but the most beautiful things for up here are safety, longevity, reliability and function when you need it. seller says he can ship anywhere in the 48 and once in Sea, you have a bunch of different options; from dragging it up the road, cruising it up and shipping trailer, barge, ferry etc. It might be worth the hassle in the end. Sounds like you have plenty of time to look around.

  5. #5

    Default

    Yeah I'm partial to Baywelds after working on em and having BW do a small project for me. Of course I've got a champagne taste on a beer budget so my Hewes will continue to work perfectly for me and how I use it.
    I kinda disagree with having plenty of time to look around if you want something by spring. Just finding an aluminum boat fitting the size & budget (not to mention the other stuff you want and/or modifying it) can be a challenge and aluminum boats are a hot commodity in ak.
    Yeah had a major issue with Honda 150's that turned into a royal pita. There's a lot more to that story so ask if you want more info on that (the problem is not exclusive to the 150's but starts from there on up in hp). But like I said earlier, end crank play tolerance is the first step in detecting a problem so check that before diving too far into that boat. One out of 3 Honda dealers I talked to during that fiasco was honest about the issue and didn't try to whitewash or play ignorant. That was enough to turn me away permanently.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

  6. #6

    Default bow rails

    I like the ACB non-sinkable rough sea handling aspects.
    Don't like the tiny bow access (through the hatch from then the bed area) and dinky little off set bow rails that allow your foot to slip off the deck

    I prefer their other models with the walkarounds that don't drain into the rear deack and with high side and bow rails.
    the cabins are of course a lot skinnier ...........

    I would replace the bow rails with full height personnel rails that are not offset so your foot is less likely to slip through

    Just a consideration, your Hewes has a relatively usable bow.
    If you never use it then it may not matter to you.

    Always thought the ideal design would be a walkaround on one side only to allow a wider cabin,
    and have the overall design to still have centerline balance.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Saw a new glacier craft on Craigslist last week. Not sure what your budget is though. Lots of stuff out there...

  8. #8
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    I like the ACB non-sinkable rough sea handling aspects.
    Don't like the tiny bow access (through the hatch from then the bed area) and dinky little off set bow rails that allow your foot to slip off the deck

    I prefer their other models with the walkarounds that don't drain into the rear deack and with high side and bow rails.
    the cabins are of course a lot skinnier ...........

    I would replace the bow rails with full height personnel rails that are not offset so your foot is less likely to slip through

    Just a consideration, your Hewes has a relatively usable bow.
    If you never use it then it may not matter to you.

    Always thought the ideal design would be a walkaround on one side only to allow a wider cabin,
    and have the overall design to still have centerline balance.
    All good points and thanks for bringing them up. I like your idea of having a walk around on one side but not the other to utilize the space inside.

    Gracias!

  9. #9
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    Saw a new glacier craft on Craigslist last week. Not sure what your budget is though. Lots of stuff out there...
    Saw that as well. He wants $250K. Way to much for my blood, particularly for a 27 footer.

  10. #10
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Yeah I'm partial to Baywelds after working on em and having BW do a small project for me. Of course I've got a champagne taste on a beer budget so my Hewes will continue to work perfectly for me and how I use it.
    I kinda disagree with having plenty of time to look around if you want something by spring. Just finding an aluminum boat fitting the size & budget (not to mention the other stuff you want and/or modifying it) can be a challenge and aluminum boats are a hot commodity in ak.
    Yeah had a major issue with Honda 150's that turned into a royal pita. There's a lot more to that story so ask if you want more info on that (the problem is not exclusive to the 150's but starts from there on up in hp). But like I said earlier, end crank play tolerance is the first step in detecting a problem so check that before diving too far into that boat. One out of 3 Honda dealers I talked to during that fiasco was honest about the issue and didn't try to whitewash or play ignorant. That was enough to turn me away permanently.
    Big Jim, I was trying to PM you about your experience but your PMs are full. I'm interested in what you experienced and your thoughts. Also, what dealer did you find was best? In Anchorage, Alaska Most Disappointing is the Honda dealer and I'm not going there except for parts.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    538

    Default

    how about that 32 fibercraft on ak boat brokers...unless your stuck on a trailerable boat 100k & lots of room

  12. #12

    Default

    Patrick, I'll clean up the box and get back to ya.
    That fiber craft is kinda cool but I think he wants another welded aluminum boat and easily tralierable.
    Not a bad idea of an offset cabin, could easily mount batts and other heavy stuff to offset the cabin weight to one side or the other.
    If you're getting into a larger (28-32) boat I've seen various Baywelds configured with creative berths (under deck for example; complete with plenty of light & ventilation) which still allows for a walkthru door to the bow and maybe could even have a v berth.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Patrick
    Have you looked at the Duckworth I walked around one of those a couple years ago and sure liked it.

    Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Not much for sleeping quarters on that boat
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Thunder jet offshore down in Sitka Pretty well outfitted 125 on Craigslist

  17. #17

    Default

    Well one option might be the Hewescraft PC or PE in th 26' with the RLC and a camper for the cockpit. We can sleep five on board. Granted we only have a porta but having had a previous boat with a marine head we decided it wasn't worth it for our crew and we really prefer the much bigger cockpit for both fishing and camping. Two cots fit nicely in the cockpit. Also going with a single 300 with a kicker vs twins. Had a Seasport previously and if you can find one with outboards rather than I/O I jump all over it. Seasport are very high quality boats and handle rough stuff very well. We had a 24 Explorer and the only Dow side was the I/O and how tender they are side to side-lots of action on the trim tabs....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

  18. #18
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Thanks for passing around all the options. I've seen most of those but various things about them just don't work for us. We can't afford the costs of owning a big non-trailerable boat. It's just too much a year in moorage, pulling it, bottom paint, snow maintenance, etc. I really like that Bayweld but as was said previous, not much room to sleep on. The Thunder Jets are nice but I don't like where they put the head and I'm tired of dealing with those cheap windows.

    If anything else comes along please pass it on and thanks again for the help.

  19. #19
    Member jrogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,539

    Default

    I hate to say it, but you are really getting into the steep part of the price to functionality curve. What is your budget?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

  20. #20
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I hate to say it, but you are really getting into the steep part of the price to functionality curve. What is your budget?
    You hit the nail on the head for sure. We know what we want but simply can't afford it. Our budget is in the $100K ballpark which like you said is on the steep end of the curve. As you well know, a boat with enough room to comfortably sleep 4 is not cheap, particularly if you want one in good condition, and even harder is finding it in aluminum. The good thing is we're not in a rush so it's worth waiting for a deal to come by.

    I'm just hoping that someone here has a line on something. We found our last boat through this forum and everything worked out great. Anyway, thanks again for everyone's help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •