Thread: Kenai Question

Default Kenai Question

I'm moving to Soldotna on the 29th of June. I'll be driving from the Detroit area. The question I have is about outboard motors. If I bring a 50 hp with me will I be able to find a river boat without a motor? I know boats are expensive there. My buddy here owns a marina and he can get me a Mercury or E-tec at dealers cost. I've been there several times but never paid any attention to boats for sale. I don't know if it will be hard to find a river boat without a motor, or if I should just buy a boat with a motor? I hope someone in the area can give me some inside information on which would be better. Bring a new motor with me? or buy a boat with a motor there. Thanks Guys.

First of all you can't use a 50 hp until next year....Parks is enforcing the 35 limit until January 1 2008. Second - if you can get a super deal on a boat motor and trailer from you buddy I'd say go for it. Usually boats are for sale with motors however, with 2 strokes going off the river in 2 years there might be some available.....not very common. If you do buy a new boat be sure it is 21' or less as they go off the river in 2010 as well. I'd suggest a Sea Ark or G3 as they are low wake and very comfortable to fish from. Koffler makes a good flat bottom boat as well but they are West coast only for their dealers.....at least they were last time I checked.

Call a couple of dealers - River and Sea Marine in Soldotna and Deweys or Alaska Mining and Diving in Anchorage and compare prices.....you might not be saving enough to make it worth the effort to tow one up here.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbevans View Post
    .....I know boats are expensive there......
    It's ridiculous.

Your best bet is to bring up as many boats as you can haul; one for you, and the rest to sell to the suckers here.

Default thanks

Gusdog44 Thanks for the reply. Maybe you miss understood my post. I was talking about bringing just a motor. (I'm pulling a 18 ft. cargo trailer with my quad and house items). I know about the change on the river, If I brought a motor I wouldn't use it till next year. I have friends that live there and I can use their boat this year, but I'll want my own for next year. I was hoping to save some cash by bringing a motor and buying a used boat and trailer there. I just didn't know if there would any boats for sale with out motors. The other thought I had was bringing the 50 hp 4-stroke and if I end up buying a boat already powered it should be easy to sell the 4-stroke with the new regulations that are being imposed.
    I guess I'm just looking for a way to save some coin. This move is going to cost me about 8K. So I was hoping to cut some corners somewhere.

Mark, I wish I could talk my wife into pulling a trailer behind her car...LOL...
    I sold my 25 ft. sport cabin, my 18 ft wellcraft, and my drift boat because she won't follow me up in her car. She is selling her car and riding with me.

Mark

I know a guy who works seasonally up here and retreats back to the Lower 48 each fall. Every spring he drives back up with a brand new flatbed trailer loaded down with boats, atvs, mini-tractors, whatever he picked up the previous winter to sell at ridiculous prices here.

Often the stuff is sold before he even gets here. He takes orders before going down to the states in the fall.

Default Bring the motor

My advice is to bring the motor, esp if you can get it at dealer cost through your bud. Sounds like youv'e got a handle on what's happening on the Kenai for next year, so my next advice you may already know...but go with the 4 stroke or the E-tec in a 50hp. My personal preference is Yamaha.

Even if you can't find a used boat w/o a motor, you can put your new motor on the boat and sell the older one quite easily. Folks are always looking for kicker motors or spare outboards these days.

Just so you can compare prices, a new 4-stroke outboard in 50hp will run you a bit over 6K up here.

Have a safe trip up.

-sc