Thread: Alaska Hunt Planning

Default Alaska Hunt Planning

I know for many of you there is a lot of hunting still left in 2014. As for me it's pretty much done. I usually only get to do one or two big hunts a year so I dedicate most of my winter paying for/planning my hunts for next spring & fall. I will say that because of work I didn't get to do much hunting in 2014.

One thing I can say is: I plan my butt off for every hunt. We are usually successful every year and I think it has really payed for myself and my hunting party to do the research required to be a successful hunters.

I wanted to get some insight on how far all of you plan out your hunts? I'm talking booking, and full mode of operations for your planned hunts?

Good hunting my friends!

Longkj

I decided at noon today to overnight in my boat off of Admiralty tomorrow and come back Sunday.......

Funny. I generally put little or no planning in my hunts and often it's just on a spur of the moment. And, all of my hunts are successfull. Occasionally I'll even bring home an animal.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    And, all of my hunts are successfull. Occasionally I'll even bring home an animal.
    Love it...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Depends on the hunt. Most of my hunts are of the weekend variety, unfortunately. Those hunts are planned mostly spur-of-the-moment. I keep my hunting gear 80% ready in the spring and fall, and at any given time can have my stuff together and be on the road in roughly an hour. I've got enough areas that I know well that little planning is necessary, so if I decide on a Thursday night that I want to hunt over the weekend, I can pull it off with a quick stop at the store and some hasty packing.

That said, if I have a special drawing permit or am taking some extra time off for a more extended trip, I'll do more planning. I'll look at some maps, read some past threads, maybe call some friends. This year I did quite a bit more planning than usual for my sheep hunt. All of my plans turned to crap due to an unforeseen circumstance, though, and I ended up re-planning in about 15 minutes on a gravel bar. Completely changed my plan into something I hadn't previously conceived of. Then two weeks later I threw together a last-chance plan in about an hour based on some advice from a gracious friend. Though...perhaps if I planned all winter, I would have had those plans in place already!

I think that the second most exciting thing about hunting is to plan a hunt. We sit down and decide what river we want to hunt, rafts that work best, and how long we want to be gone.

For 2015 we booked air service, got a new raft, picked up maps of our hunting grounds. I can hardly contain myself! Now, if sept would get here a little faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Longkj View Post
    I think that the second most exciting thing about hunting is to plan a hunt. We sit down and decide what river we want to hunt, rafts that work best, and how long we want to be gone.

For 2015 we booked air service, got a new raft, picked up maps of our hunting grounds. I can hardly contain myself! Now, if sept would get here a little faster.
    I also thrive on the anticipation of the hunt for many months in advance of the hunt...I get as much out of the anticipation as I do out of the hunt itself....Well, almost .

If I draw a permit, I will start planning soon after the draw. I know I'm going archery hunting for moose every fall for the entire archery season, so don't expect me to be at work then (self employed).
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.