Thread: Question about boating out of Whittier and the tunnel

Default Question about boating out of Whittier and the tunnel

OK here is my question. I understand why they don't want you to haul a lot of extra fuel through the tunnel but why is that a bad thing? Cant you just haul the empty containers to Whittier and fill them with fuel when you get there?

Yes, you can as far as I know and have done
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

The why is they want you buying the fuel in Whittier the loop hole is the tunnel. You can haul empty fuel cans they can not search your truck to see if they are full or not. They can how ever refuse entry if it is obvious.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

The reason for a limit of two 6 Gal. (12 gal) is for safety in the tunnel. There is a lot higher likelihood of a fire related to spills from portables rather than from installed fuel tanks. There are also risks associated with bed liners / static electricity and portable cans. Best bet is to have a larger tank in your boat so you don't have to mess with portables or just fill when you get to the marina. I've done it but filling a boat tank from a portable out in PWS is not something I want to do if I can avoid it. A fire on board is one of the most dangerous situations a boater would ever face. A fire in the tunnel would probably be much worse.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Funny they don't ask when leaving Whittier.

This one has been beat to death in previous threads. There are those who believe it's a way to make folks buy their gas in Whittier and those who believe it's a reasonable safety consideration. Personally I spent the extra money and went with a larger tank on my boat so I don't have to haul gas in portables. The bigger risk I see is actually filling the boat out on the water from a portable container especially with the new and "improved" nozzels that leak like a sprinkler...

Some of us have no other choice but to take portable tanks. You can safely fuel your boat on the water with them also.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Agreed. But the newer nozzles on portable fuel tanks make that much more challenging. Not sure what genuis came up with the spring system but it makes refueling a pain. The old style staight nozzle worked just fine IMHO..

My Wooly has a 80gal tank and I would carry another 32ga in a blue barrel in my boat, hiding it with stuff. On those long long weekends, if I were camping in Whittier, I would actually pull my boat out to Ayeska or Indian and still save enough money to pay for the trip back to Whittier/tunnel fees.....Sad story but true.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I got a few new 5 gal gas cans at Sportsman's the other day. They have a yellow button activated dispenser. I dumped five gallons with Stabil into Blood Sport the other day because the 30 or 40 gallons in there didn't have any. It worked really well. Didn't spill a drop. You have control over the flow via the button. I also got a 1.25 gallon for filling the generator and again, didn't spill one drop. Might want to check them out. So I have another question, I was told that while launching at Whittier that if you tie off while you're waiting for someone to park the truck/trailer they charge you? If you stand there holding lines it's ok but if you tie off it's money?? True?
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

I have never had to pay to tie off. When launching/ picking up alone, there's no other choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    I was told that while launching at Whittier that if you tie off while you're waiting for someone to park the truck/trailer they charge you? If you stand there holding lines it's ok but if you tie off it's money?? True?
    I'm not sure I follow your question. Are you asking if you only have to pay the launch fees if you tie off? or are you asking if they charge you for moorage if you tie off?

They will charge you if you launch -- or perhaps a better way to look at it -- you should pay to launch as you are using their facilities. At least that is how I feel as I am not one to use something and skimp out of a small fee. As far as moorage fees if you tie off, I have never experienced that nor would I believe them to do so. Perhaps I'm na´ve.

- Gambler

He implied there was an additional charge if you tie off. I've talked to a buddy today who launches out of Whittier exclusively and he has never been charge "extra" for it. My buddy who told me that does not own a boat and I think is confused or misunderstood. I have never launched out of Whittier but thought it wouldn't surprise me as everyone seems to stick it to you if they can.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Never heard of that happening.

You only have to pay the $20 to launch. Or buy a season launch pass for $153. Walk your boat as far down the dock as possible and tie it off if you are by yourself. (ask others nearby to move it if needed) Then haul butt to the awesome parking lot they have and run back to your boat. No extra fees to pay. However, if you move over to an empty slip nearby, then yes you may be charged for moorage since you are taking up a regular dock space that they do charge for. Once you are in your boat and motoring out of the harbor, stick up your middle finger and have a wonderful weekend on the water. Once you return, just keep thinking about all the fun you had and try not to be in too bad of a mood when you have to deal with all madness at the dock again.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859