Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 181

Thread: New Governor and changes in ADFG and board of fish.

  1. #1

    Default New Governor and changes in ADFG and board of fish.

    So what direction do you think the new administration will take in regards to our fisheries? He has already placed a couple of commercial fishermen in his transition team. Should we expect to see a change in the commissioner and the chairman? I suspect we will see the field leveled from the current KRSA dominated agenda. What are your thoughts? I personally hope that we will get away from the current politically driven process and get back to science and common sense.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    I hope the New Governor cleans house. Every one how did not report taking gifts from KRSA at the classic should be looking for a new job! I would love to see him mandate that any and all meetings alternate locations to the areas that are most impacted by any actions that will be voted on. If it has to do with gillnetting in Cook Inlet it should be held in the valley one year and the next time in Homer or Kenai. It just needs to be fair and not a paid working vacation where the board of fish can get bought with meals, drinks, and much more by special groups involved with the Penny loafers!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,518

    Default

    Here is my guess. First the Commissioner will go and along with that position the Asst Commissioners (Hepler). At the Director level I would assume both Sport and Commercial Fisheries Directors are in trouble. However, a new Commissioner will probably be given the choice on this one but the pressure/reasons to remove them is valid. Directors of Admin and Subsistence are probably safe. I hope the Habitat Director is gone because of rewritting the critical management area plans.

    KRSA came out strong for Parnell so their influence is diminished right now at the Gov level. However, they have muscle in the Legislature and will use it against the Gov appointments and plans.

    DNR Commissioner is gone I would assume since he wrote a pro-Parnell letter and called the new Gov a liar. I would also assume that the Director of Parks will be gone - close ties to KRSA and a pretty upset staff with his performance.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    I got to hear the new Gov speak at the NEA conference (education union). I actually found myself liking the guy. He promised to clean up education. He also promised to clean house at the state level. I think that his choice of running mate and his decision to go independent speaks volumes.

    Do i fully trust him? No. I've never known a politician to keep their words, but I do have hope.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Palmer, ak
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I got to hear the new Gov speak at the NEA conference (education union). I actually found myself liking the guy. He promised to clean up education. He also promised to clean house at the state level. I think that his choice of running mate and his decision to go independent speaks volumes.

    Do i fully trust him? No. I've never known a politician to keep their words, but I do have hope.
    I think his choice in running mate was so he could get elected.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    I think his choice in running mate was so he could get elected.
    LOL!! I think you are correct. I really did think about their ticket. A Dem and a Repub...joined together...what away to get the votes.

    But he did turn his back on his party. That takes courage.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon cornelius View Post
    lol!! I think you are correct. I really did think about their ticket. A dem and a repub...joined together...what away to get the votes.

    But he did turn his back on his party. That takes brains.
    corrected for acuracy

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akcarv View Post
    So what direction do you think the new administration will take in regards to our fisheries? He has already placed a couple of commercial fishermen in his transition team. Should we expect to see a change in the commissioner and the chairman? I suspect we will see the field leveled from the current KRSA dominated agenda. What are your thoughts? I personally hope that we will get away from the current politically driven process and get back to science and common sense.
    One of Walker's campaign talking points was that he would appoint only Alaskans to his boards and commissions. I would think that the chairman's days are numbered. If one's goal is to restore ethics, science, and some semblance of public process, replacing Mr. Johnstone would be a basic first step. As for the commissioner - dunno. While I have been disappointed in her actions, or more specifically lack thereof, I believe that she was chosen in hopes that she would be a soft leader. After all, she had a very seasoned and active Assistant Commissioner - I mean special projects coordinator - from the start. I think Mrs. Campbell is a fair an honest person, but her weak leadership has hurt ADFG. Perhaps cutting out some of the cancer in the ranks would help right the ship, but she should have done that long ago.

    I'm with you Carv, science and common sense. And ethics. We could use some ethics.

  9. #9

    Default

    The ethical collapse of our fisheries management in UCI has been well orchestrated by KRSA with the help of the Parnell administration. Clearly, with Johnstone as Chairman of the BOF, Hepler in the Commissioner's office and Ben Ellis as head of State Parks the skids were well greased for KRSA to get anything they wanted. They have been in complete control over who gets on the BOF and who stays on and through their heavy handed tactics they have even compromised ADF&G into being a pawn for their agenda. How many times have we sat in UCI meetings and watched ADF&G sit on their hands when Johnstone or one of his deciples on the board say something or quote data that they incorrectly interpreted to promote some KRSA proposal. How many times have they put together a board generated proposal after consulting with KRSA hired guns and then persuaded ADF&G to either find a way to support it or just avoid any negative comments.

    I truly hope the Walker administration will hear the people on this and start to clean house so that the BOF, ADF&G and other fishery boards and panels can get back to an ethical and scientific standard. To start with Johnstone has to go. He's simply a Penney / KRSA pawn and his reign of threats and bullying tactics over other board members, the department and the public have to end if there is any chance of resurrecting the BOF into an honorable, fair and trusted institution that carries a tremendous amount of responsibility for the people and resources of Alaska.

    Good luck Gov. Walker we stand behind you on this endeavor.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    One of Walker's campaign talking points was that he would appoint only Alaskans to his boards and commissions. I would think that the chairman's days are numbered. If one's goal is to restore ethics, science, and some semblance of public process, replacing Mr. Johnstone would be a basic first step. As for the commissioner - dunno. While I have been disappointed in her actions, or more specifically lack thereof, I believe that she was chosen in hopes that she would be a soft leader. After all, she had a very seasoned and active Assistant Commissioner - I mean special projects coordinator - from the start. I think Mrs. Campbell is a fair an honest person, but her weak leadership has hurt ADFG. Perhaps cutting out some of the cancer in the ranks would help right the ship, but she should have done that long ago.

    I'm with you Carv, science and common sense. And ethics. We could use some ethics.
    Stop being an apologist for Cora - just because you like her does not mean she is a good Commissioner - she is not. She let everyone dictate to her for her own well being - staying in the job. She provided no leadership at all and blaming only KRSA. I have known lots of Commissioners who did not do the bidding of the BOF or KRSA when they knew it was wrong. She may cry with you over your fishery one year and then screw you the next two and cry some more and you just say she is a nice person and it is all the other people around her that are bad. Very manipulative in that regard. So she is gone and the damage she has done will last for years.

    Relative to the BOF I have seen lots of chairman try to control the system. They only get away with it when ADF&G and the Administration want then to get away with it. Johnstone is a powerful force but he could have been controlled if there was a strong Commissioner. He is gone as he is up for reappointment this June and he deserves to go. Not for being a strong chairman but because he failed to look out for the good of the public in the big picture.

    He was so focused on being vindictive to commercial fisherman that he lost sight of his public duty to be fair and objective. He also showed little respect for ADF&G and in that regard they deserved it because of the Commissioner and poor performance by staff over his tenure. We are all frustrated with ADF&G and you can imagine how a BOF feels when they can see the manipulative and anti=science nature of ADF&G. I think the bottom line is that the BOF process has to be totally revamped to come into the 21st century. We cannot have a process started in the 60's run this billion dollar industry.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,518

    Default

    Just looked at Walker transition team. Gease, Bruce Knowles, Larry Engel, Roland Maw, just to name a few of the special interests. Walker is not off to a good start with this transition team. Same old stories and no new thinking. Valley and KRSA will push for the existing status and no change to the BOF. Whoever helped Walker on fisheries should be shot for this transition team. He is playing politics and that really is sad.

  12. #12
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,787

    Default

    Walker is beholden to monied interests just like every other politician is these days. Be realistic for crying out loud. In fact he is twice as beholden with his hybrid administration; not to one party/ideology, but to two. I predict that we will see no real change here, just more excuses. Be prepared for a level of disappointment you have not seen or experienced since the "ethical" Palin administration.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Walker is beholden to monied interests just like every other politician is these days. Be realistic for crying out loud. In fact he is twice as beholden with his hybrid administration; not to one party/ideology, but to two. I predict that we will see no real change here, just more excuses. Be prepared for a level of disappointment you have not seen or experienced since the "ethical" Palin administration.
    I am afraid you are right but hope for the better. At least he has picked a new DNR Commissioner who sounds qualified.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Stop being an apologist for Cora - just because you like her does not mean she is a good Commissioner - she is not. She let everyone dictate to her for her own well being - staying in the job. She provided no leadership at all and blaming only KRSA. I have known lots of Commissioners who did not do the bidding of the BOF or KRSA when they knew it was wrong. She may cry with you over your fishery one year and then screw you the next two and cry some more and you just say she is a nice person and it is all the other people around her that are bad. Very manipulative in that regard. So she is gone and the damage she has done will last for years...

    ... I think the bottom line is that the BOF process has to be totally revamped to come into the 21st century. We cannot have a process started in the 60's run this billion dollar industry.
    Nerka, stripping anything to the foundation and starting over is rarely time/cost-effective. I feel like that's the easy answer for someone who does not plan to commit the time or effort to make it happen.

    Have not looked at the transition team, but we have to remember that the pool is not that large in our state - there will be some disappointing choices no doubt. Obviously Gease is a HUGE red flag, but hopefully Walker will have the wisdom to see through the Ricky-Bobby B.S. We should not be disappointed that special interests are on the team because overall that's who likely applied. I don't know about you, but I didn't, and if I had I would be considered special interest because I fish with a net for one month a year.

    As for the commissioner, I never said I like her (that is irrelevant to this discussion and her job performance), just that unlike the BOF chairman I think she is a fair and honest person. I acknowledged that she has significant shortcomings - specifically that she has been a weak leader. I never said she should keep her job, nor did I apologize for her. If I was Walker I would be actively searching for a more effective leader, however I happen to know that qualified help is hard to find.

    Nerka, you have to be realistic. Walker cannot fire every person in state government and start over. There are not that many qualified people in our state. Even if there were, I'm not certain that firing everyone would be a good thing. I realize you are very bitter at the way things have been, but for crap's sake man, at least you're not an ESSN! Again, try to be realistic. In politics, what you want and what you get are rarely the same.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    841

    Default

    If ones goal is to have BOF members make decisions based on science or the best available data combined with strong ethics then Karl Johnstone should retain his position as Chairmen of the BOF.
    I have not always agreed with any of the current Board members on every issue or proposal that has been acted on but I can honestly say that they try to do the right thing every single time. That's all anyone can ask of them.
    Hopefully Governor Walker can see thru the smoke that comes from a fully allocated mine field like cook inlet.

  16. #16
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    If ones goal is to have BOF members make decisions based on science or the best available data combined with strong ethics then Karl Johnstone should retain his position as Chairmen of the BOF.
    I have not always agreed with any of the current Board members on every issue or proposal that has been acted on but I can honestly say that they try to do the right thing every single time. That's all anyone can ask of them.
    Hopefully Governor Walker can see thru the smoke that comes from a fully allocated mine field like cook inlet.
    I'm going to go ahead and call bs on this comment.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Just looked at Walker transition team. Gease, Bruce Knowles, Larry Engel, Roland Maw, just to name a few of the special interests.
    That's a big disappointment. Drain the swamp!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,518

    Default

    tbsmith - you do not have enough experience to judge what happens with a change in administration. I have been through several major changes and you can clean house in some departments. There are lots of qualified people in the lower ranks of ADF&G and in some cases outside the State. So cleaning house down to the Director level has been done in the past and has worked. I did not say to remove all Directors - remember I mentioned keeping the Director of Admin and I did not say to do it all in one day. This is easier than you think as the day to day operations are really run by the regional supervisors.

    Special interests rarely look out for what is good for the people of the State of Alaska or in that matter the nation. I look at this from someone who wants a strong ADF&G in the future and sustainable resources based on good scientific decisions. At the Board of Fish meetings I watch user groups push to get what is best for their financial interests under the banner of sustainability. The average citizen has little to no input in this process. I watched the ESSN representatives at the last few meeting throw science and fairness under the bus in their self interests. The buy out discussion is another example -

    Relative to the bitter comment I assume you mean angry as opposed to other definitions of the term. Yes, I am angry at how ADF&G has degraded with the present leadership. As an ESSN fisherman you should also be bitter. If not then why not? However, relative to my time in ADF&G it was a good experience for 18 of the 20 years and I do not begrudge that at all.

    And please do not give me the condescending realistic comment and lecture on what you get. Been around the block too long for that comment. However, if you do not fight for what you believe and just sit on the sidelines and complain then you are a parasite on society not part of it.

    iceblue - have to disagree with you. I know of too many backroom unethical meetings to go along with your evaluation. In public the Board has ignored the best available data and ignored or suppressed ADF&G staff comments. Not sure how many board meetings you have attended but this Board is one of the worst I have every witnessed.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Nerka, we're you at the last bof meeting?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Palmer, ak
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by otternorth View Post
    corrected for acuracy
    No, that takes selling out your principles to get elected. Power hungry

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •