Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you avoid trapping a Lynx.......???

Default How do you avoid trapping a Lynx.......???

I am not a trapper, but I am curious how you avoid trapping a Lynx.

If you do catch a Lynx.....do you set it free......??? How you do that......???

The easiest way to not catch them is to not target them. If you do catch one in the off season you release it. A catch pole is a trappers best friend, pin it down and let it go. If you are afraid to do it yourself, the troopers (in my experience) are more then happy to give you a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by HFT_AK View Post
    The easiest way to not catch them is to not target them. If you do catch one in the off season you release it. A catch pole is a trappers best friend, pin it down and let it go. If you are afraid to do it yourself, the troopers (in my experience) are more then happy to give you a hand.
    What if the lynx is caught in a snare?

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    What if the lynx is caught in a snare?
    You bring it in to the nearest F&G office and turn it in. There is leniency involved when it comes to trapping of non target critters. Just make sure you caught it using legal methods....

Sooooo how do you target Wolverine..........and not catch Lynx......????

Quote Originally Posted by HFT_AK View Post
    Ok, has anyone here actually done that? I get the idea of a "catch pole" and all, but I'm looking at the lynx sitting on the rock on my wall and remembering it hissing and clawing at me when I got to it in the trap. Then I'm remembering my wife's five pound house cat that clawed and bit the bejabbers out of me when I had to get the gill net off it that it was stuck in. The lynx is WAY bigger than that cat; there's no way in creation I'm going to try and get it out of a trap alive.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    Ok, has anyone here actually done that? I get the idea of a "catch pole" and all, but I'm looking at the lynx sitting on the rock on my wall and remembering it hissing and clawing at me when I got to it in the trap. Then I'm remembering my wife's five pound house cat that clawed and bit the bejabbers out of me when I had to get the gill net off it that it was stuck in. The lynx is WAY bigger than that cat; there's no way in creation I'm going to try and get it out of a trap alive.
    I've seen it done. Our kids let one go last year. They filmed it.

Post the video, I'd like to see how it's done.

Grouse- like dkwarthog stated. Snares are less forgiving but it is pretty easy to not get a lynx in one. Bigger loop and set closer to the ground. The lynx will either hop through it or push past it.

AGL4now- There are different methods for every animal. A wolverine will climb, elevated sets are an option, Lynx are not prone to putting their head in a milk crate with a 330. A snare pole is another option. There are a lot of options out there it is just a matter of choosing the one that will work for the scenario.

AKMauler- Yep done it a few times with lynx and a bunch of other critters, some a lot bigger, meaner, and more dangerous. It is a lot easier and safer with two people. And if you feel you can't do it yourself call the troopers, they are more then willing to help out someone that is trying to do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BBD54CAL View Post
    Yeah, so would I.

Quote Originally Posted by BBD54CAL View Post

I don't have it. The kid that recorded it on their phone...moved.

However, I can ask around to see if anyone did put it on a lap top.

What they did though, was use the pole (It was a dog catcher type) and then rigged something to get the trap off. I am almost positive it was a snare, but not 100% positive. It was a year ago.

They used a snowmachine as a buffer from the lynx. One of the kids was narrating the event, but he was drowned out by the others that were squealing like little girls when the see a bug for the first time.

Once they freed the lynx, It turned around and made an aggressive lunge/swipe at the pole then bolted away.

I know guys in the L48 who have released mountain lions from footholds. It can be done, even if it's not that fun. A large piece of plywood with a notch cut out of it is one way to do it. Place the plywood over the lynx with its foot in the trap sticking thru the V notch in the bottom. That way you can shield yourself from the lynx while you work on the trap. I have not done it myself, but I have talked to quite a few trappers who have.

When in doubt, call troopers for help.

The reason they let the lynx go was b/c it was a smaller/younger one. That was what I was told and the fact that it was alive.

They also had a video of a bigger lynx still alive and they had to put it down without a gun.

Our kids have fun on the trap line.

Youtube has videos of cats being released. Just do a search on it.

I do my trapping solo with an airplane. I'm afraid the poor kitty is not going to be released alive. I am, however, impressed by those that are willing to try though.

Most lynx are caught in cubbies, cubbies aren't legal on the Kenai when lynx season is closed. My understanding is incidental catch is very low when not using cubbies. Lynx "typically" aren't interested in wolverine bait, they are predominately sight feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I caught a big tom in a coyote set once... Strangely enough. The set was made with coyote urine and gland lure. Thankful lynx trapping was open at the time.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Wow...... that is nothing......try letting your wife out of the trunk after 50 miles over rough road. Now that is HELL Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I know guys in the L48 who have released mountain lions from footholds. It can be done, even if it's not that fun.

Just to clarify, the "no cubbies allowed when lynx season is closed" is a refuge specific rule, not Peninsula wide. Special conditions specific to the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge No. 7 which provides: "Cubby and flag sets are not allowed when the lynx season is closed."
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by brule View Post
    Just to clarify, the "no cubbies allowed when lynx season is closed" is a refuge specific rule, not Peninsula wide. Special conditions specific to the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge No. 7 which provides: "Cubby and flag sets are not allowed when the lynx season is closed."
    Good point, you can tell where I'm stuck playing! Thanks for clarifying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast